NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Rusty hooks

PapillonDeNuit

Salut tout le monde !

Our bird Timmy has a perch - the kind on wheels - that's been in the garage since we moved. It sat there over the winter and got pretty cruddy. Today I gave it a good cleanin', so Timmy can hang out with me up in my room! Each branch of the perch has a hook on the underside to hang toys, but they're all a bit rusty now. I know the right thing to do is to change out the hooks, but my mom is being stingy about it, as though me changing out the hooks - of which we have plenty more! - is somehow an inconvenience to her. She seems to think that rusty hooks and rusty toys are just fine.

So what do I do? How do I handle this situation?

For reference, she also thinks that cigarettes and bugspray are just fine as well...

• Like 2

Personally I would definitely swap them out, especially if you have spares handy. They could be toxic to birds if the metal contains zinc or lead.

See:

https://www.beautyofbirds.com/refinishingcages.html
https://birdyrevolution.blogspot.com/2012/10/bird-metal-poisoning.html

If you're able to change the hooks out yourself, what input do you need from your mum? I'd just go ahead and get it done.

Cigarettes and aerosol sprays are a terrible idea around birds as they have sensitive respiratory systems... but I suspect you're already aware of that.

I don't have much advice except to maybe arm yourself with some resources and try and educate your mum... however I do appreciate that this can be tricky.

• Like 2

I like the idea of just swapping the rusty hooks out.  Or, take some steel wool or sandpaper and get them clean -- just rinse well so parrot has no access to remnant steel wool strands or something -- leftover bits could be a crop irritant. 

As far as bugspray and cigarette smoke exposure... I get the impression your Mum isn't very on board with a parrot in the home.  :(

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Salut tout le monde !

I took them old rusty hooks off of Timmy's perch. All the metal had to go. Ain't no rust gettin' to my birdie!

My stepdad had Timmy out on the screened-in porch this morning, on his perch. He loved it! But I'm apprehensive about putting Timmy in any scenario where he could possibly get away.

• Like 4