NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New Grey owner, he needs a healthy diet!

Snowghost

Paco was on mainly a seed diet, Hartz Parrot food she bought at the grocery store. I only gave him 1/4 cup of that and introduced red, yellow, orange and green peppers, hard boiled egg, baked potato, radishes, bananas, yellow squash and brocali. Loves the pepper and banana, shreds the brocali and tosses the radishes. He nibbles and then drops the food, does this mean he does not like it or that is the way a parrot eats? He will eat the banana and the hard boiled egg. I was in a pinch to find bird food so I opted for a small bag of Wild Harvest Daily Blend for parrots. I chose this as it does not have a lot of meal in it. Dried split peas, oat groats, whole corn, wheat, soybeans, safflower seeds, carry grass, ground corn, there is a list of vitamins, de hulled sunflower seeds, no peanuts, oops take that back must be shelled, I haven't seen any.

I am only giving him about a 1/4 cup and encouraging the veggies and fruit. Will pick up more today. He is now enjoying Lafeber Nutri Berries that are 23% pellet. He tossed them at first but is now eating them.

Am I on the right track? I want to make sure he is getting the nutrition he needs and will try to see if I can get some samples of pellets.

He has plucked his chest feathers before I got him. I have had him for a week now and have only seen 2 feathers at the bottom of the cage. He is clean now, smells better, preens, sits on one foot and stretches, getting more vocal.

Thanking everyone in advance for educating me.

• Like 1

Hi Snowghost!

You're doing a great job introducing him to a new healthier cuisine. Foods that they can't eat are onions, garlic, chocolate and especially avocado. Radishes aren't a good choice for him, either. Soybeans, too.

Birds become very  used to their food and turn their beaks at new things. Many have experienced good luck by starting with his original diet and adding the good foods to that, and then reducing the bad stuff over time until only the good food remains. It's also a good idea to weigh him daily to make certain he's not losing weight while you switch him over.

Many of my 13 birds don't enjoy pellets. I have had good luck with adding a little fruit juice to their Harrison's pellets, such as pomegranate juice.

Greys need a rich source of Vitamin A. I give each of my fids some cooked yams daily, and also add organic environmentally safe red palm oil to their chop. Sprouting at home is another great item for them.

My fids all love sugar snap peas. They love to remove the peas from the outer shells. My fids also don't like raw carrots, broccoli and green beans, so I slightly steam them before serving.

Welcome to Greyforum!

Edited by Greytness
  • Like 1

I feed a base of Volkmans soak & serve and birdeez buffet.   To that I will add different things: sprouts, apple, jalapeno, banana, peppers, whatever is safe frozen mixed veggies - whatever is safe in the fridge.   I have had two birds come to us that were dirty and smelly and within a month or so you could see the change in their plumage and overall health.  They brighten right up.   If you can see the improvement in the bird, you're doing something right.    Baths help too....

• Like 2