NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New cage mate???

Tali

Hey y'all, 

i have been given the chance to have a second baby grey... 

My Baby girl Tali is currently just only 7 ish months old and now I have been offered another weaner grey, from a different  breeder. His name is Ira.

i have already got a good bond with Tali and I thought that maybe they would keep each other company while I'm out milking cows every morning, or occasionally over at my partners place..

would I be able to keep two greys in the same cage? 

Will I lose my bond with her if there is another grey ... esp being a male? 

My flat is small and I would not be able to fit a second cage inside.

please tell me what u think. It's a big cage and when I'm home, Tali is not in her cage much at all. She's on my shoulder around the house or yard or on the couch exploring, teasing my cat, or having a sleep on me haha! 

B8D4FFB4-E454-43E4-8AA1-667F2E8EDED5.thumb.jpeg.1044efc977b033a3aac45afd75bff6ae.jpeg

• Like 1

Do you think that I will lose that bond with either of them? As one is male and one is female... 

i know they don't reach sexual maturity till 5/7 years old but will they bond and shut me out before the hormones kick in? 

Or will I still have a chance to bond and have two great house pets? 

I know all birds are different but what are ur experiences 

• Like 1

I have this cage for one of my macaws. The downside is that the center 'slider' space is a collector for poo, shredded toys, etc. It's a very annoying cage to clean. I have a painted one, which my macaw has chipped away in places. I need to replace it due to the exposed areas of metal.

• Like 1

Would you want to take the chance they would bond and end up being a mated pair? From everything I've read, mated pairs don't keep a bond with a human, only with each other. That said, I don't have personal experience. I'd certainly go with a split cage over putting them in the same one. As Greytness said, they may not get along. I'd be terrified that they would get in a fight in the cage and I'd be unable to get to them to intervene. My personal thought is that Timber (my TAG) is extremely jealous. He gets a bit aggressive with people he sees as coming between me and him, like my husband and grandchildren. It hasn't been a major problem, but they know to steer clear of him when I'm in the room. If I extrapolate that to him seeing me giving another bird attention, I don't see it going well. These are just my thoughts though.

I hesitate to say anything since I don't have personal experience, but I'll go ahead and pass along the advice I was given. When I was considering getting another bird, several suggested that I get a different breed (not another African grey). That said, I know SLseedburners (sp) has successfully brought another grey into his home, as have several others here. Not much help here but some thoughts.

Edited by Timbersmom

I have often thought about getting another bird (possibly another grey) in my household and I have looked at these cages as well. My major concern is that they could bite each other through the central divide. If I were to get another bird, I would want them in separate cages to begin with. Then I might consider one of these cages if they did get on.

My biggest stopper for not getting another bird is 'what if they don't get on'? My attention is already divided between my two cats and Alfie. If I added another bird to the mix which needed to be kept separate from Alfie because they hated each other then that wouldn't work for my household - I just don't have the space provided (or the time) to be able to juggle the requirements of two birds if they can't be in the same room together.

My advice for these types of questions is always 'plan for the worst case scenario'. If you can handle that, then you're probably safe to go for it. If there are any doubts then I would reconsider.

• Like 2

Yeah I'm definitely going ahead with getting a boy. I think that as both are only babies I shouldn't have any problems with breeding aggression for at least12-24 months min. So should still be able to interact with them both in the house... If however they do decide they prefer getting scratches and smooches from each other rather than me then that's ok too. As long as they are happy 😊 

Both being so young there is a higher chance they will get along...and if they don't I'll put a solid divider in the cage to give them privacy and space.

im not getting this exact cage as I can't buy them I'm NZ. But I have a custom one similar being made for me

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Pick up my boy finally on Sunday! 

Total drama with his cage, got it home today and went to put it together... 5 pieces are missing! Nightmare, freaking out it all arrives in time to assemble. 

I have brought him a matching cage as Tali's, so even if they decide they want to live together in time, I can just literally put them next to each other and remove dividing panels for a huge cage. 

PLEASE Any and all advice on introducing a new grey parrot to the flock is needed and appreciated... I want to make sure they have the best start

• Like 1

When we brought Huey in we just let them look at each other for a while.  Supervised together time for a while.   GreycieMae tried to bully him like she bullies everybody but Huey's a strapping male and quickly showed her who can be boss birdy.  They get into little stabbies every now and then when they're not dining together.    I never keep them in same cage when they have to be caged.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations on getting baby Ira! I have never had two Greys together, but did for many many years have a rescued wild caught Amazon, who came into my already there cockatiel's home. Samuri, the 'tiel lived in his cage, and Elliot the 'zon lived on a real tree branch in the house because he was terrified of cages. Samuri used to love to fly over to Elliot's tree and just hang out with him. Both stayed affectionate to me, and they more than tolerated each other. Eventually, when I moved from my large, victorian home to a smaller condo, I made a large cage that they shared. They got along famously. If Samuri bugged Elliot too much, Elliot would just hold up a foot and if that didn't work, he would push Samuri off the branch and that was that. I think it was successful because they lived together for several years before they were caged together. When my wild caught rescued CAG whom I named Lestat because he was more active at night, came into the picture, Samuri had passed away and it was just Elliot. Elliot and Lestat basically ignored each other, and by that time I was in a different home and Elliot was back to his tree and Lestat had his own cage. Both were affectionate to me. I think as with all things, it all depends on how *you* socialize them and react. If you are nonchalant and don't make a big fuss over things, just be matter of fact, then they take a lot of cues from you. Personalities, gender, and timing all are unique though, and so the long and short of it is that you just never know. . .

In Germany now, if you have one you are required by law to have two, so that they have a companion of their own species, which I think is terrific. For me, I have always been about giving my birds a good home for them not for me. If none of them ever were affectionate towards me, that would have been fine. I just wanted them and want HRH to have a good, peaceful life since they did not volunteer to have it spent in captivity. Just my thoughts, not being judgy about anyone else :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I actually keep a misting bottle near and ready to go whenever I've introduced my birds to each other. If they get into a serious squabble, I break them up with a fine misting and then remove the perpetrator.

Only a small handful of my 13 get along, which  sucks, because I have to do a rotation of their 'out of cage' times. If they all got along, they would be out of their cages a lot more. For now it adds up to be about 5-6 hours per day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ok so didn't go with the name I thought, 

so please meet Mr Winchester (Chester) my big 510g baby haha! 

Took one night for the two of them to have a preening session

Took three nights for me to get a good snuggle but he actually flew to me twice tonight and climbed into my shirt for a snuggle while I had my girl in her blanket.

First three pics are the day he came home the last pic is night 3 (tonight/now) lol

ACEA2C49-AB48-419A-9E20-609511F16062.thumb.jpeg.5839ee478b7a0f72638025f8b720beb0.jpeg9302F9CD-8040-4D77-BFCD-59E101C8433B.thumb.jpeg.f37e2b3a28cc568eeaa7fc378b8c00e5.jpegA0FBE855-8481-4C64-85C7-A08E8387A207.thumb.jpeg.f4287121efc58e9a0dca1d0cb8eada67.jpeg5D20BCEE-A25A-47FE-9E9E-167382A9FE3E.thumb.jpeg.e46eb4dd8599866f5b9e115d1c555aea.jpeg

Tali, 11 months now, hen in her blanket

Chester, 6 months old, Cock bird under my collar

• Like 2

This is there set up... they are always on one cage or the other... my hen seems to follow him around haha! 

And when she's with me and he's on his cage he flys to me and sits on my shoulder with her

they are in their own cages asleep atm, facing each other 🥰

BBD5BADE-AC5F-49BD-8FF3-22E5AD42F4AD.thumb.jpeg.4e7474831936653ecdf164fd2f2fdb6f.jpeg

• Like 2

So how do you tell who's going to be the dominant bird? He won't preen her when she askes but she always gives in to preening him and feeding him lol 

they still both squabble a little and give each other space mostly 

its evenings they get all cute and sweet with each other lol 

• Like 2