NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

9 week old not eating as much

Links

Lucy has been doing really well for the last couple of weeks being fed 60cc twice per day.  A week ago we started introducing mango and pellets.  Today she didn't want anymore than 45cc in the morning.  We decided to to a second feeding and got 20cc and one more just now with 25cc.  Is it usual at 9 weeks of age for a Grey to start not wanting as much formula?  I thought this would start at 12 weeks.  It was out of nowhere.  Otherwise she seems energetic rambunctious.  Wondering if I should make another vet appointment.  Also just curious from these pics if you think the age I have is correct.  I also wasn't sure if the pinkish color around the eyes was any cause for concern.  Thanks for the help.  

IMG_3392.jpg

IMG_3393.jpg

IMG_3394.jpg

IMG_3396.jpg

IMG_3395.jpg

Edited by Links
  • Like 2

Oh my goodness she's so cute!

I'm afraid I can't help much with the feedings - I got Alfie at 11 weeks and he was mostly weaned by that stage. I was still hand feeding him but he was eating form a spoon not a syringe. I think it was either one or two offerings a day because he was moving on to eating solids by that point.

• Like 3

Was the photos taken right after she ate? I would suggest seeing a vet, she has a extended Crop and the feathers don't look right... Try some peanut butter UN-salted, some protein  like eggs and sun light... Please keep us informed...If her crop has been like this for awhile, try some warm water...

Edited by Jayd
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jayd said:

Was the photos taken right after she ate? I would suggest seeing a vet, she has a extended Crop and the feathers don't look right... Try some peanut butter UN-salted, some protein  like eggs and sun light... Please keep us informed...If her crop has been like this for awhile, try some warm water...

Hi Yes this was immediately after feeding.  The crop returns to flat each time.  What do you mean about the feathers?  Do you mean the ones that haven't come in yet?

Edited by Links
  • Like 1

Sorry to take so long to reply....concerning the feathers, the discoloration and the color of the red tail and the dark on the red tail bothers me a little. In your supplemental feeding, stay away from the corn for a while, stick with the green leafy vegetables and seeds. I will keep an eye on your posts. Thank you very much. Jayd

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback.  Vet says she was fine.  She just seems to want solid food so I can get maybe 15 cc a feeding then she wants me to give her solid food.  I'm going to keep an eye on her weight and report back.  Thanks everyone.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SRSeedBurners said:

I don't see where you indicated a previous weight to compare to.   413 is a pretty healthy weight for a baby but it's all relative to previous weights etc.  Did I miss it somewhere?  Can you give us a plot of previous weights?

Hi thanks it was 427 a day ago.  Weighed at the same time in the morning.  I just find it strange that she all of a sudden doesn't want to be hand fed but is not eating enough solid food at 9.5 weeks.  Should I go and have all possible tests at this point like crop cultures, blood tests, fecal tests, x rays etc or am i overreacting.  

Edited by Links
  • Like 1

Have you tried some inbetween foods?    I make an oatmeal that turns my adult grown Greys into groveling begging babies, complete with spoon feeding bobbing:

I use quaker original oatmeal
small piece of banana
water and almond milk
Ceylon cinnamon (not the common cassia)
almond butter if you have it

Cook like regular oatmeal and serve warm.   I haven't found a bird yet that won't gobble that stuff.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, SRSeedBurners said:

Have you tried some inbetween foods?    I make an oatmeal that turns my adult grown Greys into groveling begging babies, complete with spoon feeding bobbing:

I use quaker original oatmeal
small piece of banana
water and almond milk
Ceylon cinnamon (not the common cassia)
almond butter if you have it

Cook like regular oatmeal and serve warm.   I haven't found a bird yet that won't gobble that stuff.

You are so awesome.  I'm going to try this right now!!!

• Like 2

Greetings! When a Grey is getting ready to fledge (fly for the first time), they will go on a weight-loss diet (self-imposed) to trim themselves down enough for flight...An average weight for a 9 week old is 484grams. 9+ weeks first time flight 454 grams (flight weight) approximately. Our Spock was a large bird and was over 500 grams at 8 weeks. Other Greys were pretty close to 480 grams

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jayd said:

Greetings! When a Grey is getting ready to fledge (fly for the first time), they will go on a weight-loss diet (self-imposed) to trim themselves down enough for flight...An average weight for a 9 week old is 484grams. 9+ weeks first time flight 454 grams (flight weight) approximately. Our Spock was a large bird and was over 500 grams at 8 weeks. Other Greys were pretty close to 480 grams

The most she got up to at 9 weeks was 428 and not she is 409

• Like 1