NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Need advice

Talon

Hi everyone’s, I got home from work tonight to a vm left on my house phone.   A women I have bought bird things from who lives a few towns over had given my number to a another woman. This woman left a long message on my answering machine , her elderly parents are ill and are in a nursing home, nd have an approx. 25 year old African grey that is sitting alone in their trailer sits in its cage all day, they’ve had it for 15 years she said, they can’t care for it any longer and she feels sorry for it and has cats dogs and horses so it won’t fit into her household. She wants it to go to someone who has and understands birds.

i have cats, dogs and well you know...Nilah...Talon and Rikki.  We all know our place in the flock.  I do work a lot of hours, some days my birds are in their cages 11 hours..but they get out of their cage time always when I get home until bed, and Sunday is theirs day to have all day out.  I’ve aleays felt 3 are enough....but my heart breaks..and I’m torn what to do.  He is a  male, I have 3 females....I don’t want to disrupt the flock and household...do I just ignore the phone call?  I’ve done that once before, but it was just a woman who was looking for a home, not the elderly parents and bird sitting there all day....just looking for feedback from my family here.

i tend to make a quick decision based on my heartfelt sympathy for all animals...want to rescue them all...thus my 3 dogs, 2 cats and 3 birds  🙄

Thanks in advance!

• Like 4

What do you think introducing a male to 3 females would do if anything?  Should that be a concern?   Ideally I would foster him & hopefully find him a forever home, but I don't know whether to offer or just let it go.

• Like 4

When we brought Huey in, our little Caique, Toby,  instantly declared that Huey must die.   Therefore Toby's best buddy in the world, Rio, declared that Huey must die.   Huey's saving grace was that I can put him with Greycie and they somewhat get along.  They're not best buddies but he can handle Greycie's ornery-ness and won't kill her.  So I keep my birds in little groups and currently have three little groups that I can move around and place together.

Being a strapping male, he weighs less than Greycie by about 50 grams but he can lay the whooping on her when she needs it.  She tried bullying him at first but quickly learned Huey has big muscles and can't be bossed around.

• Like 5

Thanks everyone for the advice. I sent the info to a woman I work for who owns a pet store, she knew a woman who has had birds until they passed away and wanted an African grey, she passed the info on and said it sounds hopeful, still waiting to hear.  I did offer to foster or help in any way, but I ha ent hears anything more..

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

It is so hard to know how to help in these situations.  When we brought Miss Gilbert into our home, she completely changed the dynamics.  I love her dearly and she still finds a way to make me laugh with her brilliant sarcasm every day, but Java's life has never been the same.  I would love to add to my own flock but am too well aware of my limitations.  Still it is absolutely heartbreaking to know there are these precious souls out there in need of just the right home.  

• Like 1