NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Passing on your Grey

KevinD

As we all know Grey's have a greater lifespan then we as humans do.

Anyone given any thought on how to do that?

For instance, my daughter said she will take Sukie when Im gone.

Anyone given any thought about what happens when your gone? Just curious. 

• Like 2

My preference would be my daughter however I don't like who she is with at the moment.  I think children are best if they have a connection with the bird.  I've read post after post on the other Grey groups of grown children who have adopted their parent's bird and are very attached to it because it either talks like the parent did or does things that remind them of their lost parent.  That kind of ensures someone loves the bird and it won't get caught up in the used pet market hell.

My daughter loves my GreycieMae and my other birds however if her situation doesn't right itself in time, I'm probably going to use the money she would have inherited and find one of the sanctuaries  that I feel would best take care of them and right now I have one picked out.   

• Like 3

I'm a little stuck on this one because I don't have any children (and am not planning on having any children) and I doubt my sister would take Alfie in as she's not keen on birds.

I have a 5 year old nephew so maybe he will grow up to like birds and would like to take Alfie in... here's hoping.

The best I could hope for is that someone in my family would take him in temporarily and find a good home for him.

• Like 3

This is difficult for me, I had a plan, but now that my kids are older, they and it has changed.  Nilah is my biggest concern, she is bonded to me, doesn’t like other females...but at the moment, all my birds will go to my daughter to do with as she sees best for them.  She knows them, understands them and has a heart like mine.  She will do right by them.  😥

• Like 1

Timber actually came from my daughter in law. There were issues with the young grandchildren and Timber, he doesn't deal well with kids. If I live long enough, her children will be grown (or at least much older) and she will take him back. If not, my youngest son is Timber's favorite and he assures me he will step up.

I think this is an issue we all think about, or should be thinking about. Even outside of aging, accidents happen...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I am also in the same boat, I have no kids, no plans on having any either haha and no close family... my partner is 23 years older than myself so I don't think that's an option haha!... maybe I'll live till I'm really old??  You never know... perhaps we (Tali and myself) will go at the same time... 😂

• Like 2

I have a friend who takes in rescue parrots, mostly Macaws, but she has others. She takes in the ones that are unadoptable due to previous trauma that they dont ever get over.  Some of them ( she has had them for many years) can' even be touched by her.  She is a WONDERFUL parront.  She dedicates her life to loving & caring for these parrots.  Has made several bird rooms in here home where they are free to be, they have destroyed her doors, chewing holes in them, she has replaced many doors & frames , it's ongoing..., gives them the best possible life they could have considering . They mostly are parrots that were mentally & emotionally abused.  She has no one, rescues don't want them because they can't be handled.   After serious soul searching & talks with her avian vet over long periods of time, together they have decided (& it is in her will)  that at the time of her death, the birds will be put to sleep so they don't suffer anymore from someone who couldn't possible take over her role.  I know it sounds harsh...I personally have mixed feelings about this, my instinct it to say NO!  that's terrible!   But what is worse?   putting them thru more emotional trauma from the only safe environment they have ever had, to yet another, who most likely won't want them under the conditions they are...& leave them locked up all the time because they are so difficult?  Food for thought...

• Like 2

We got our first congo just a few days ago. The bird is about 3 months old... i am 41 years old :/ . My wife would of course be the first in line, after that my daughter who is currently 11 and was also a major driving factor in getting a bird. She will likely also end up with our red footed tortoise as well since they can live quite some time as well, upwards of 50+ years.

There are places near here that will take in exotic birds and reptiles in order to find them new homes, or just take care of them. So think we are covered. The one shop near us, Off the hook exotic pets near Pittsburgh PA, i believe has only birds that were rescued or similar. At least for their larger/ more exotic birds. 

• Like 1