NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Yakity...Yak.....

Jayd

😀 As humans grow, the way we speak, our vocabulary, and the words we use change. Some of us use slang, some abbreviations, and others articulate to the fullest. In my study of our Greys, their ability to use language has always fascinated me, especially since they can speak almost every language in the world and understand them.

Let's place ourselves in the USA, Arizona,. a Grey really starts talking, about a year old, and if a parront whistles a lot, there is a possibility the Grey will whistle more than talk. A Grey is keen to all they hear in the house, the parronts, the TV, radio, or any other devices used in communication (i.e. Alexa, etc.). They also learn each way, the representative speaks. Example: Papa speaks in complete sentences. Grey Bird will respond to Papa in proper sentences. If Mama speaks in baby talk, then Grey Bird will learn to respond accordingly. The same think goes in more complicated situations, such as interaction with Alexa, which uses key phrases to communicate. This is really intelligent. One Grey is talking five different ways to five different people in the same household. 

Now, let me show you the true intelligence of a Grey.....Your Grey will develop his own personal language. He will start using abbreviations that he knows you will understand, such as "Wanna good nut" meaning a dry treat, or a certain click or sound, knowing it will get your attention. Here is an example using Joe: when he first came to us, he used to ask "Want good water" which meant he wanted water with ice cubes. Now, many years later, he uses the gurgling water sound when he wants water...Another example: when Joe first came, he would ask Jay "Are you okay?". Now, he just says "Papa?" Years ago, Joe used to say "Stop!" or "Shut up!" when something disturbed him....now he just makes a clapping sound when he is bothered by us talking at night, Salsa making too much noise, or the dog barking. 

When you have a minute, sit down and just listen to your household and listen to your Grey's responses to the stimuli...It is amazing how intelligent they are and how much verbal shorthand they develop over time. Love you all, Jayd😎

Edited by Jayd
  • Like 3

Alfie makes a water noise when I replace the water in his bowl. He says hello when the phone rings or the door bell goes. He also says hello when he hears/sees my housemate return home from work in his car (probably does the same when I return too). And he now says hello in my voice and responds in my housemates voice. He also says see you later and bye when he knows we are leaving the house.

Alfie isn't a big talker, never has been. But he loves his whistles and noises.

I love hearing other birds (not just greys) talk. I find it fascinating. I don't mind that Alfie prefers noises over words. He has his own way of communicating with me. :)

• Like 3

Such a fascinating topic!!

Talon, say “thirsty bird “ when she wants a drink.  Nilah who never leaves me alone....she’s a huge shoulder bird...makes a gurgling sound whenever I go to the bathroom 😝, or run water anywhere.  Rikki sau “good morning” when she first see me in the morning.  When I have to put Talon in her cage before I-go to work, she says. “Be back soon okay?”  Something I’ve aleays said to here before I was working full time and I would put her in her cage when I’d go out..  She always say, “Hello”in her politest voice when my phone rings..

• Like 2

There you are! Glad to see you are back :)

They certainly do manage to get their message across. Timber doesn't like it when I'm on the phone. Like a toddler, I think he doesn't like my attention being focused on something else besides his royal self. He'll give me a minute, then start saying "OK, Bye." When I'm dishing out treats at bedtime, the cats always get theirs first. When he sees me getting their treats, he starts saying his name, over and over. I interrupt this as "don't forget me" It's either that or "Hey, I'm over here and I should be first." They are fascinating in their reasoning and thought processes.

• Like 2