NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Need a new cage

CrazyGreyLover

Hello Everyone!

So, it's time for a new cage for my grey. He's had his current one for about 7 years and the paint is starting to chip and the metal is beginning to rust in the tray. That makes me nervous, so I've been searching for something but I just can't seem to find a decent one. I can't afford the $700+ cages, although I wish I could because I know they are better quality (his current one was from Amazon.com for under $200). The vet said not to get one with a play top because of his current behavioral concerns. I already have a perch for him so it's not necessary anyway. I keep finding one's that would be perfect if there wasn't play top, or at least a detachable one (for example: https://birdcages4less.com/page/B/PROD/PA5701 ). I've also looked at/ called every local pet store which came up dry. I don't really have a size restriction either. He has a 24"w x 22"d one now, but would prefer larger if possible. 

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be fantastic. 

Thank you so much!

Lexy

• Like 3

One of the most common cages people get for CAGs is this one.   It's big and pretty well made.  I have two of them.   The bar across the top bolts on, so you could just remove it or not install it.  I'm not sure why your vet discourages a 'play top' or what constitutes a play top.   If I removed that bar across the top, my bird would still consider the area a play top.   Good lucks!

Edited by SRSeedBurners
  • Like 3

On 8/16/2018 at 10:09 AM, SRSeedBurners said:

One of the most common cages people get for CAGs is this one.   It's big and pretty well made.  I have two of them.   The bar across the top bolts on, so you could just remove it or not install it.  I'm not sure why your vet discourages a 'play top' or what constitutes a play top.   If I removed that bar across the top, my bird would still consider the area a play top.   Good lucks!

Thank you so much for your suggestion! The reason she said not to, is because he's expressing some behavioral concerns such as aggression and plucking. Having him above eye level makes this behavior worse and he becomes more aggressive. 

Thank you again!

Lexy

• Like 3

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 7:09 AM, SRSeedBurners said:

I've owned 8 of these cages. The down side is that the darn wheels break off over time, and they don't make replacement casters for them. These are push on casters; not the screw in kind. Two of my cages are now on furniture coasters because all their wheels have snapped off.

I've since replaced 4 of them with A&E and Hendrix Preview cages.
What I do like about these cages is that they are very roomy for the low price.

• Like 3