NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Aloe Vera (Plant)

neoow

I bought an aloe vera plant recently (mainly because they are supposedly easy to look after and I'm not normally very good with plants!). I've had it several weeks now and it hasn't died yet...!!

I have read about the qualities of aloe vera and know you can use 100% aloe vera juice/gel with birds. Can I use the plant itself for Alfie in any way? I've seen mixed comments about birds eating the whole stalk so I'm not likely to try that. But I'm assuming there is a way I can safely extract the... sap(?)... from inside the stalks? Can I then mix that in Alfie's water occasionally? Or mix it with water and spray him with it?

...Or am I better off sticking to buying gel and juice and keeping the plant as a decorative feature? 😁

• Like 3

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, Blinkyspears22 said:

Is it difficult to take care of an aloe vera plant? Is it sensitive or something?

Well mine has seen better days but it's still (mostly) alive. I think I made a mistake and potted it in normal compost. I don't think they survive as well in compost? I'm guessing they need something a bit more gravel like- similar to a cactus. I'll have to do some reading and re-pot it before I accidentally kill it off.

Edited by neoow
  • Like 2

I've been through a few aloe vera plants over the last 30 years; some will live a long time then die for no reason I can figure out.  I bought a new one 6 months or so ago.  Btw, if a piece breaks off -- freeze it -- it can used later for burns and being cold is so wonderful for a burn!

Medical advice: I do know my avian vet used to make a special mixture spray for parrots that contained aloe vera as an ingredient (my macaw received a horrible wing clip in the 90s by an ignorant vet (never went back to him nor ever clipped my macaw's wings again -- apparently he cut through more than primaries -- cut some secondary wings feathers).

Anyway, point was, my macaw didn't understand it was her wing feathers messed up -- she figured it was her back injured (it was red from where her folded wings were scratching/irritating her back).  That's when a real avian vet gave me his special aloe+ mixture to spray on her back.  It soothed her back and eventually her wings feathers all grew back and her back healed up beautifully -- fully feathered back -- no lasting damage, thankfully.

I keep everything, if I can find the bottle from the vet, I will tell you what's in it (if it's on the label) I really only remember it had aloe as a component in it. 

• Like 1

I have two aloe plants that have been alive and thrived for years. They are enormous, and the pot is always so full of starts it's a constant effort to keep ahead. They are in potting soil. I have no idea why they are so hardy, since I am lousy with plants. I do know someone told me a long time ago that they are succulents, not cactus, so need more water than a cactus. If that is true or not I haven't researched but I water them with the other plants. I'm attaching a picture of one of them. I'm pretty proud, since it is the only thing I've kept alive more than 5 years...

20190813_140425(1).jpg

• Like 1

My aloe plant looks just like yours does if a dozen angry macaws ravaged yours down to 7 remaining stalks, 3 of which have broken off ends.  lol  

Jealous! 

Yours are gorgeous and huge!  Mine is, um, at a difficult toddler stage still.  :)  

• Like 1