NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Will this cage be fine

Nicoloaw

I’m getting a timneh African grey in a few weeks and already have this cage but want to double check that the cage will be fine. It’s 30x30x43 without seedskirt and without counting stand and play top etc. Total dimensions are 38x38x63. 1/2 inch bar spacing. I know that can be a bit small but from what I can see the bars are pretty thick and I don’t think the bird will be able to bend them. I’ve seen a bunch of people using this cage and they have said it works well for them but I want to make sure.

Link https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/bird/cages-for-birds/you-and-me-standing-parrot-cage

Thanks

• Like 2

Awesome. It’s already filled with toys and perches. I plan on feeding Harrison’s. I read the coarse sized pellets are good for greys but I’d think it might be a bit big for a timneh. Would fine sized be ok or do you think the course size should be used. I’m currently feeding my parrotlet superfine and have purchased coarse for my grey in preparation for arrival but i haven’t opened the package to see the size of the coarse because I don’t want it to go bad. What would you recommend?

• Like 2

Cage looks awesome.   I feed a mix of Harrison's lifetime or high potency (my birds are very active in aviaries all day), Zupreme Naturals and Tropican Lifetime pellets - all mixed together.   I buy all the pellets in the same size as the Harrison's 'fine' size.   We found that with the larger pellets, when they crack them, the pellets go flying in all directions and there was a ton of waste.   In addition to limit waste I also use a Seed Corral which really helps.   They're not as prone to carry a pellet out of the feeder when they are nibble sized too.  Also, keep your pellets in the freezer, they last a long time that way.

Pellets are a very small portion of our birds diet though.   We mainly feed cookables which I supplement with whatever fresh/frozen chopped up veggies daily.

• Like 2

Thanks. I’ll be sure to order more of the fine sized. Out of curiosity what cookables do you serve? I know of bird bread by Harrison’s but wasn’t sure about using it as a main part of their diet. I do Harrison’s pellets and frozen veggies and dried fruits for my parrotlet.

• Like 2

My main go to is a combination of 'Volkman Seed Featherglow Fancy Soak & Simmer' and 'Volkman Birdeez Buffet / 15 Minute Soak & Serve'.   I cook a 3 day supply of those two and I also add sprouts to the mix.   Then I add whatever is around: banana, jalapenos, leafy lettuce.   They go wild over it every morning.

• Like 2

The cage looks awesome! Your new grey is going to love it in there!

I echo what others have said, pellets are great for a daily go to but it's also worth supplementing with lots of fresh veggies and fruit etc. It's better for them to have lots of different options for food so they don't get stuck on one brand/food type.

• Like 2

Our typical breakfast:

Cookables that I mentioned on the left in the glass casserole dish, sprouts on the right.   Those are the base mix that I use daily.  

On the chopping board is whatever I have fresh available - today's cuisine:
- Pink Lady apple
- banana
- brocolli
- sweet potatoe
- jalapeno (greycie loves her jalapenos)

1106125623_Breakfast(2).jpg.47cf746d82f1abe66865dc7d55ea0fa5.jpg

Customer approved!

2004220538_Breakfast(1).thumb.jpg.b901873d005f0bffe42bae7d51e3b043.jpg

• Like 1

Wow that looks amazing! I found this https://store.thebirdstore.com/mobile/foods/custom-blends . I bought the #6 for my parrotlet and #7 in anticipation for my grey today. I also went to Whole Foods and found their pre sprouted seeds which I got a bunch of. I’m planning on using these mixes along with whatever Harrison’s I haven’t used and some fresh veggies / sprouted seeds.

Let me know what you think of the custom blend that they sell.

Thanks

• Like 1