NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Partner for African Grey

pedalon227

About 20 years ago a friend gave me their African Grey Parrots, one was about 5 years older than the other, they have always been caged seperately,but in one big cage. A few weeks my older grey, larry suddenly passed on, we figure he was about 40 or so. I notice My remaining grey, Rudy( probably about 30 or so)sometimes faces larrys side of the cage and either looking or sleeping, other than that he is active, eats, does scream more than normal, I think. 

My question is should I get Rudy a partner?

Thank you

• Like 2

The odds that another grey would get along with Rudy are slim so don't get another grey just to be a companion but because you really want another one. I would suggest you get another species of bird, probably whatever you choose will not get along with Rudy either but just having another bird in the house to interact with will be company enough. My two birds, one is a grey and the other is a sun conure, do not get along but they are out at the same time, the conure stays on me and the grey loves her daddy so they do not get close to one another. What you choose depends on whether you want a smaller bird or a larger bird but just think of what you would like to have as a companion for yourself and not as a buddy for Rudy. Of course if it turns out they do get along then you hit the jackpot.

• Like 5

If you decide to get another bird then I second what others have said above- bear in mind that there is a chance the two birds might not get along. They might tolerate each other enough to spend time out of the cage in the same room - but they may also need to come out separately. I always think introducing two animals is a 'plan for the worst and hope for the best' situation. You never know how they are going to get on and you must have a plan in place if they cannot tolerate each other at all. Otherwise you run the risk of creating a very unhappy environment for all concerned (including yourself).

Do you have the time needed to look after two birds if they do not get on?

I have often thought about getting another bird in my home but I have two indoor cats as well as Alfie, my African Grey. My cats are quite often my second shadow and do demand quite a lot of attention compared to other cats I have known. I do not think I could offer all of my animals enough quality time if there were any issues with them not getting on. Some days it's already a bit of a juggling act making sure everyone gets the attention they need. So in my personal situation, I do not feel adding another bird would be sensible at this time.

It's all about your individual environment and time constraints really. Each home/flock is different.

I do not think another bird is a bad idea at all - but I always advise making sure you have that backup plan in the back of your mind if things don't work out as smoothly as you'd hope for.

• Like 3