NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New Guy at our house

Greywings

Oh the poor little guy. Probably doesn't know whether he's coming or going.

Does he have a name? I hope he settles in quickly. Are you keeping him or just trying to give him a break whilst finding a forever home for him?

• Like 3

It seems he has had a few names which he shows no response to so I think we may start over if we can find a name he likes. He is amazingly calm and accepting of his new digs. I know these birds can become phobic at this age so fingers crossed all will remain well. He has some feather damage on his back looks like he has been barbering. Hope to get past the feather destruction and the unwillingness to leave the cage. slow and steady he is adjusting to eating sprouted food and enjoying attention. Will see if he is happy with us or needs a home of his own, Galahs have been my dream bird for a long time and we just lucked into helping him. he destroyed a cardboard box today so I take that as a good sign.

Edited by Greywings
spelling
  • Like 2

Hi, Maggie here....Jay and I had raised and weaned four Amazons. Our payment was our choice of one of the four. So, when they were fledged, we returned them, picked the one we wanted and headed back home. We were talking about what we were going to name our new baby and saying different names. During this conversation, our new Zon never made a sound and I mentioned the name Salsa. All of a sudden, she started chattering and making all kinds of noises. Then, we repeated other names and she was silent. When Jay mentioned Salsa, she started up again. We tried this three or four times....this happened every time we mentioned Salsa, this happened. So, this is how she named herself...LOL

Also, when we brought Joe, our Grey home, he had come from an abusive relationship so when we brought him home to Spock, we had decided to go with the same theme (Star Trek) and decided to rename Joe "Jim". For a few weeks, all Joe would say was "Are you okay?" and "Where are you?" when we left the room (Joe was 2 at the time). After a few weeks though, Joe put us in our place after we had addressed him yet again as "Jim". He replied, "I'm Joe". LOL....Maggie

• Like 5

What food did they recommend? The pulling feathers off the left foot could be due to many different factors changing homes, diet issue, pain in the leg (perhaps an injury Greys are not graceful) even exposure to a heavy metal. I see your cage is wrapped in a smaller wire which may be galvanized with zinc, a heavy metal.

• Like 2

The new guy is working on getting a name and he let himself out off cage and went walk about into the kitchen. He was gathering attention of our cats and dog when hubby walked up on him. Tried to step him up and got bitten a few times with meaning. Had to towel his pretty pink self to return him to safety and then develop a new cage security system. Must be over the fear to leaqve the cage now to work on step up and trust issues. He loves head rubs so that may be  a starting place.🌺 Rojo is a name under his consideration.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

His name may yet be Ziggy he seems to prefer that, it is becoming a challenge to find the right name. His appetite is great will eat anything I present. Sprouts, the pellets he came with, fruit and veggies are all enjoyed. He is a head rub kind of Too will work up very slowly to step ups he id not a fan of hands other than for head rubs and food gifts.

• Like 1