NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Did I go too big?!

nickraph

There is no such thing as too big when it comes to a bird cage 😂 The bigger the better!

Looks good- and it looks like you already have all the approval you need already! Now comes the fun part.... toy arrangement!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Well, I guess these cages are going to cost an arm and several legs to fill with appropriate toys and perches but once done I think they’ll be sooo happy in there.  Any ideas you guys have in regards to toys/decorations would be greatly appreciated.  

35AEFBDA-7803-414E-A1A4-7EAF8ECE08B4.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Mandatory:  a nice stainless bell (bird safe type).  Maybe some stainless hanging spoons.  My GreycieMae's favorite toy is one I use a miter saw to refill all the time.  She can destroy it in a day.  It's made from wood blocks and straws on a stainless skewer rod.   

I don't have many toys in their cages as my birds are rarely caged but here's a shot of the toy I make for her and the little nibblets she leaves behind 🤣:

128550608_GToy(Small).thumb.jpg.350b21219215faee12566c0af2ace292.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, SRSeedBurners said:

Mandatory:  a nice stainless bell (bird safe type).  Maybe some stainless hanging spoons.  My GreycieMae's favorite toy is one I use a miter saw to refill all the time.  She can destroy it in a day.  It's made from wood blocks and straws on a stainless skewer rod.   

I don't have many toys in their cages as my birds are rarely caged but here's a shot of the toy I make for her and the little nibblets she leaves behind 🤣:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=b40f6708cb3a8093128550608_GToy(Small).thumb.jpg.350b21219215faee12566c0af2ace292.jpg

I really need to start making my own toys. I usually just buy them from the local parrot store and spend a fortune.  Any ideas on where to buy parts and pieces online for toys?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I usually buy toys to get the parts, like the one you see in the pic.   Then it's simply cutting wood blocks or whatever to refill.   Since my Greybie is a wood block chipper, I refill with wood.   I have another one that loves to chip cardboard.  As you can imagine, she's easy to make toys for out of a plain old cardboard box.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Like the others have said the bigger the better, they need plenty of room to be able to open the wings and flap without touching the bars. I second the addition of a nice heavy duty bell, no grey should have to go without a bell, they will ring that thing and play fight with it, even take out their frustrations on it, a definite must for a grey.

You can also check the baby section of stores for toys for your bird, lots of them are safe for birds but sometimes just ordinary items in a home make good toys, sometimes just a box will keep them busy for a while.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Talon said:

Not too big!  I buy macaw cages for my greys.  Rabbit toys are cheap, just make sure they are bird safe. 

That’s what I did!  I bought the 40x30x75 dome top Macaw Mansion.  It is surprisingly well built and way bigger than I pictured.  JoJo is loving it, while Maxi is having a bit of a hard time with it.  If you read in one of my other threads, Maxi was locked in her cage for around 20 years and never allowed out, in that cage she had one wobbly branch her whole life so getting her to use other perches has been quite the struggle. She will adjust though, she’s pretty strong.  Here she is helping with food prep. 

28695513-BDAC-4664-B479-C0BBEFF6F24C.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

lovely Grey! nice cage and as long as the birds like it then all is welll. Old paperback books stuffed between the bars make good shredding toys. Pookie  enjoys deconstructing cardboard boxes more than anything else. You can also cut fresh leafy branches of bird safe trees and shrubs to stuff in the cage I use Crepe Myrtle, Magnolia and Hackberry branches. Those clear plastic balls with moving items inside are fun for them to roll around, I get them in the toy section of resale or thrift shops.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Greywings said:

lovely Grey! nice cage and as long as the birds like it then all is welll. Old paperback books stuffed between the bars make good shredding toys. Pookie  enjoys deconstructing cardboard boxes more than anything else. You can also cut fresh leafy branches of bird safe trees and shrubs to stuff in the cage I use Crepe Myrtle, Magnolia and Hackberry branches. Those clear plastic balls with moving items inside are fun for them to roll around, I get them in the toy section of resale or thrift shops.

Thank you!!  Appreciate the reply!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
On 7/6/2018 at 11:56 PM, nickraph said:

I really need to start making my own toys. I usually just buy them from the local parrot store and spend a fortune.  Any ideas on where to buy parts and pieces online for toys?  

Yuppa! I’m on another forum, Avian Avenue, and there is a whole website just for bird toy parts. It’s called California Bird Nerds

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Funnily enough, I'm looking to slightly downsize Alfie's main cage this year. It's a liberta enterprise and is biiiiig! There's a couple of rust spots on it and the whole thing is too big for me to get outside on my own for a deep clean. Alfie has also been living in a smaller cage upstairs (his 'working from home' cage in my office) for the last few months whilst I renovate the downstairs half of the house. It's a rainforest dakota cage and he seems to like it in there. So I'll be looking to replace his big cage downstairs with something in between the two cage sizes. I'd still like to to be on the large size, as he does spend a fair amount of time in there when I'm out at work. I also don't think I'll go for a playtop option like I did for the dakota - one because he doesn't use it and two because it makes the cage inside quite dark. So I think it'll be another dome/open top like the enterprise one.

I was looking at custom built cages too- but they never seem to look as nice as the rainforest or liberta cages.

I also debated about scrapping the downstairs cage entirely and just having a java tree so he can come hang out with me... but then I realised that wouldn't work when I had guests round, as he wouldn't be the centre of attention if he was in his upstairs cage.

I'm beginning to think Alfie might be a little spoiled 😂

• Like 2

16 hours ago, neoow said:

Funnily enough, I'm looking to slightly downsize Alfie's main cage this year. It's a liberta enterprise and is biiiiig! There's a couple of rust spots on it and the whole thing is too big for me to get outside on my own for a deep clean. Alfie has also been living in a smaller cage upstairs (his 'working from home' cage in my office) for the last few months whilst I renovate the downstairs half of the house. It's a rainforest dakota cage and he seems to like it in there. So I'll be looking to replace his big cage downstairs with something in between the two cage sizes. I'd still like to to be on the large size, as he does spend a fair amount of time in there when I'm out at work. I also don't think I'll go for a playtop option like I did for the dakota - one because he doesn't use it and two because it makes the cage inside quite dark. So I think it'll be another dome/open top like the enterprise one.

I was looking at custom built cages too- but they never seem to look as nice as the rainforest or liberta cages.

I also debated about scrapping the downstairs cage entirely and just having a java tree so he can come hang out with me... but then I realised that wouldn't work when I had guests round, as he wouldn't be the centre of attention if he was in his upstairs cage.

I'm beginning to think Alfie might be a little spoiled 😂

Funny!  That’s the issue I have as well, except I can’t get them through standard size door frames so I have to do all the cleaning in their room which is super annoying.  I want to be able to power wash them again haha.  Plus my greys all really seem to love my Quaker’s cage that’s only about 1/4 the size of their large ones.  Tbh I believe one of my greys and my Quaker would love to trade places.  Yoshi loves when he gets to hang out in the greys enclosures while they’re not in them.  Explores every single nook and cranny. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...