NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

We could be rescuing a grey today

Greytness

Wow.   If I rescued that bird, he'd be here permanently.   He deserves the best.   I hate that they end up in conditions like this.  I can't wait to see the 'after' pictures a few months down the road.  Get lots of pics to compare.  Birdy hit the jackpot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So glad to hear this grey has been rescued, poor thing having to exist in conditions like that, he will be so much better with proper food, some toys, clean cage and tender loving care. Can't wait to see what he looks like in a few weeks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Would you like to rescue him from us? 😉 No, truly we don't know how things will evolve. All I know is that my son's plan was to rescue, rehabilitate, and then find him a home. We already have 11 fids, and don't have plans to add any more. But...you just never know!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, he's out of that shithole.   Let's rehab and see what happens.   If you lived here I'd probably entertain the idea.

That's funny you say you're up to 11.  In my pea-brain I think I'm still at three, but when I count beaks, I count 8.  How the hell does this happen?  🤣

Edited by SRSeedBurners
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Greytness said:

Would you like to rescue him from us? 😉 No, truly we don't know how things will evolve. All I know is that my son's plan was to rescue, rehabilitate, and then find him a home. We already have 11 fids, and don't have plans to add any more. But...you just never know!

No but who knows what the future holds, he may turn out to be such a sweetheart you couldn't bear to part with him, like Steve said, at least he is out of that hell hole.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SRSeedBurners said:

Well, he's out of that shithole.   Let's rehab and see what happens.   If you lived here I'd probably entertain the idea.

That's funny you say you're up to 11.  In my pea-brain I think I'm still at three, but when I count beaks, I count 8.  How the hell does this happen?  🤣

It happens very easily. I said I was done at 11, and then here comes Sydney!
While he's obviously very nervous about all the changes, he's beginning to vocalize. His little 'hello' sounds as if he just took a hit of helium before speaking. It's absolutely adorable!

• Thanks 3

The poor little guy is doing a bit of back and forth movements and some light panting. Trying to leave him be, but I just can't stop checking in on him and talking with him. I'm gently rubbing his toes whenever I get the chance so that he can begin to ascertain that touch isn't a scary thing.

This will be the first night where he won't have to be anxious about sharing the night with the rats clambering all over his world. And that he won't have to sleep through the night with one eye open.

Edited by Greytness
  • Thanks 3

Oh the poor thing. Such horrid conditions.

At least he is safe now and will get all of the care and attention he needs. I'm sure he will settle down eventually and quickly realise he has landed on his feet!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Oh I am soooo happy!!  You guys did great. What a sweet bird and so lucky!  Thanks for the pics! 

How heartbreaking to see how he was kept.  You are a true angel.  Please keep the updates coming!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2/3 consumed. Very happy to see that he took to fresh food so readily.

I have a birdie groomer coming over tomorrow to clip my fids' talons. Sydney's nails are pretty long and was thinking of having his filed back as well. Do you think it's too early to do something like that considering all he's been through? He's demonstrating cage bound behaviors at this point in time, so I don't want to overwhelm him. The good thing is that someone else besides me would be doing his filing..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you. I'm torn over this one. Part of me is considering  going ahead with the filing earlier in his rehab, before he's slowly learned to trust us. Another part says to just allow him to chill and become acclimated before we introduce something scary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for your recommendations!

I discovered him doing something adorable this evening. He was holding onto the side of his cage and would lean back to grab his toy and make it swing. The swinging motion made the toy glide back and forth across his back, and Sydney was completely still while the toy was massaging his back. Once the toy had stopped swing, he'd do it again.

He needs to be touched; to feel touch, and this is how he's accomplishing it at this point in time.

Tomorrow I shall add another toy for him to explore.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Greytness said:

He needs to be touched; to feel touch, and this is how he's accomplishing it at this point in time.

Tomorrow I shall add another toy for him to explore.

May I say, I have watched you grow...your insight and wisdom is really gathering strength. Bless you!

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Jayd said:

May I say, I have watched you grow...your insight and wisdom is really gathering strength. Bless you!

Thank you! I appreciate your kind words. We are learning and experiencing together. I'm as much an open book as he.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Greytness said:

I discovered him doing something adorable this evening. He was holding onto the side of his cage and would lean back to grab his toy and make it swing. The swinging motion made the toy glide back and forth across his back, and Sydney was completely still while the toy was massaging his back. Once the toy had stopped swing, he'd do it again.

That's one way to get a pet.  I'll have to try it myself  🤣

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1