NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

We could be rescuing a grey today

Greytness

Several years ago, my son brought to my attention  a neglected grey living nearby. The owners keep it in a rusted cage outside with very little protection from the elements. Apparently they only feed him seeds. My son mentioned that there are rat feces all around the cage, and that the owners never pay any attention to it. Unfortunately they weren't willing to part ways with him.

Fast forward to yesterday. My son tearfully brought up the ongoing sad living conditions of this neglected grey. Apparently the owner now has early onset dementia, and often forgets to feed the poor thing. The owner's neighbor is a friend of my son's., and both he and my son plan to go over there within the next few days to see if he'd relinquish the grey to my son. His plan is to rehabilitate him and then find him a loving home.

I'll keep you posted if we get him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Thank you everyone. My son's friend who is neighbors with this guy was working late today, so they'll try to speak with him within the next few days.
We have an extra cage here, so that's good. My son will be taking him into his room for quarantine precautions if we're able to get him to relinquish him.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

If all goes according to plan, I just might know someone who would take him. He actually used to be a member of this board: Isaac's dad. He just started looking for another grey to keep Isaac company, so the timing could be right!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well...it was a no go. Apparently my son's friend went to his neighbor directly without having my son there. My son is amazing with getting what he wants, and am saddened that his friend didn't wait to have him along. 

We'll try again another day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

• 3 weeks later...

Update on our rescuing efforts. And it's good news!!! We're going to be able to bring him in after all. Apparently the rat infestation has become so bad from all the scattered seed around his outside cage that one had gotten inside their house and ran across his son's chest while he was sleeping.

That was the last straw! So he'll be quarantined in my son's room while we rehabilitate and look for his forever home.

What kinds of diseases, if any, might this poor bird have gotten from being around the rats? 

Looking forward to giving him a better life.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like this was meant to be.   Yay for the rat for getting things done!  🤣

Rats are actually pretty clean lil varmits.   I have rats all over in my chicken and pigeon loft and my pigeons never contract anything from them.  Canker is all I deal with and that's a common pigeon disease that they don't get from anything else.

You know pictures are mandatory now!  I can't wait to hear how this story ends, sweet I hope.   Is Isaac's Dad still in the picture?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

No. Isaac's Dad is getting a baby boy from the same breeder that Maalik came from. Believe me, I did wave the 'you can handle 3 greys' flag his way, but it's a no go.

I'm glad to hear that rats are somewhat clean. My concern was over their hanging out on top of his cage, pooping into his water and food dishes and potentially spreading disease to him in that manner.

Hope he survives today's heat wave. It's already 90 degrees and it's only 9:30. Projected to be 107 degrees by noon. Apparently this bird's cage is in partial sun.

I'll keep you posted!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

He has him!!! Is on his way back with this poor little guy.

When my son got there, he found the grey locked inside a shed with holes cut out of the sides. There were rat droppings everywhere, and the entire shed wreaked of rat urine. The bird's food and water dishes were bone dry. No toys or perches anywhere. The poor bird was panting heavily, to the point where my son felt he could have stroked if he'd waited any longer to rescue him.

He brought him into the house where he immediately threw up onto his hand, poor thing. He sprayed him down with some cool water and offered him some food, but he was too stressed to eat.

Apparently he's 12 years old and belonged to the man's wife before she passed away from cancer 6-7 years ago.

Here's to new beginnings, Sydney! ❤️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Yes he will need to have a fecal run at the Vets it is possible he may have been exposed to e coli, salmonella, giardia and other less common health concerns. I have seen birds who lived in rodent infested areas get very ill  form both e coli and salmonella, even die if not treated. Poor Grey bird he will need to learn what healthy food is again. Do offer some fresh veggies maybe a little soft scrambled egg and you can offer coconut water or diluted Gatorade or pedialyte to help him recover from the heat and dehydration. Congratulations on the save that is one fortunate landing for him. Blessings on your son and family for your persistence. A few weeks of good food and some baths he will be a new bird, looks better than he could look considering his recent lifestyle.

Edited by Greywings
addition
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thank you everyone.

Here are some images of his deplorable conditions. Made me weep to see them.

My son has been hand feeding him fresh fruit and veggies through the bars of his new cage. He already loves broccoli and my homemade birdie bread.

IMG_5686.jpg

IMG_5687.jpg

IMG_5691.jpg

IMG_5694.jpg

IMG_5696.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2