NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Getting an African Grey?..

Ini

Hello, I've joined because I need advice.

My dream bird is an African Grey and I have just come across the opportunity to possibly adopt a 9month old boy. Now.. a friend of mine has said that they are likely to suffer behavior issues from the change in circumstances.. Is this true? What should I expect? The bird will be coming from a 2 grey to 1 grey family, with a different routine but it's same old cage and toys. The bird will be being shipped, so will have that to deal with.

I want to provide the best home and support possible, but also don't want to discover I've taken on more than I can handle.. I have a LOT of time on my hands, as I am disabled so don't work. Therefore giving time to the bird is not an issue. However, I've owned budgies but never proper (so to speak) parrots before and want to know from owners what I'd be getting into by buying a 9month old who needs to be shipped and will undergo big living changes.

Any advice at all is welcome!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Ini, where are you from?  I live in the State of Washington, USA.  There are two kinds of African Greys, Congo and Timneh.  They are different looking and their personalities are different.  Timnehs, (tags), are smaller and usually more mellow then Congos, (Cags) for example.

So glad you have joined the Grey Family.  We love pictures by the way😀.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think like human kids, they are able to adapt to these kinds of situations when they are younger.  However they do adapt well to a change in homes when properly cared for.   We're convinced our Huey thinks he hit the jackpot.  He's really busted out of his shell with us.  If you can give the Grey lots of love and attention, I don't think you can go wrong.  They do require a lot of 'work' that some people are not used to.  They are more than just 'feeding the dog' twice a day.  Mental stimulation and cleaning up after them is more involved but they are very worth it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone. I had to pass up on the 9month old because their family had already relocated. However I am hoping in the future to own one still.

I currently own two budgies, so am not totally new to bird keeping, however will be new to keeping a larger parrot.

Edited by Ini
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1