NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

So you want to be owned by a parrot

Luvparrots

Some things you need to know (just the tip of the iceberg):

1. Parrots are not domesticated. Domestic animals have been bred for hundreds of years to live in the care of humans and as such are distinct from their wild ancestors. Parrots normally have long lifespans which can range from 20 to 50 years or more. Being owned by a parrot can be a life-long responsibility.

2. Parrots, particularly cockatoos and African greys continually shed feather dust or dander which may aggravate asthma or other breathing problems in some people. Many homes with pet parrots have hepa-type air filters installed to control allergies or respiratory problems from bird dander.

3. Parrots are normally noisy. Squawking, chirping and imitating sounds are an important part of any parrot’s social communication. Parrots are active and inquisitive creatures and must be provided with ample safe space to flap their wings and move about . Safe wooden toys and clanging stainless steel bells are a must for a happy, healthy parrot. Having an unhappy bored parrot is detrimental to its health and the health and peace of your home.

4. Parrots eat continuously throughout the day and think nothing of dropping, tossing and flinging food everywhere. In plain words parrots are quite messy.

5. Parrots instinctively chew and shred wood and can be very destructive. Chewing electrical cords, window blinds, curtains, kitchen cabinets and other household furniture seems like great fun to parrots. You must be vigilant and observant if you want your cabinets, woodwork and glassware to remain intact.

6. Parrots must be provided with ample healthy foods and a varied diet. A parrot cannot live on seeds or pellets alone and should also be given an ample supply of grains, beans and leafy green vegetables as well as some fruits sparingly.

7. Light exposure is a necessity for a healthy parrot. Parrots must be exposed to Vitamin D from sunlight or at least full-spectrum indoor lighting on a regular basis. Vitamin D promotes Vitamin A absorption, which is critical for upper respiratory health. Parrots must always have a minimum of 10 hours of sleep at night. In the wild parrots normal bed down from sundown to sun up.

8. Parrots are very sensitive to air quality. A parrot replaces nearly all the air in its lungs with each breath. Because no residual air is left in the lungs during the ventilation cycle of parrots, they transfer more oxygen and more pollutants during each breath. Parrots should not be exposed to tobacco smoke, hairspray, household cleaners or other chemical fumes, and most definitely not Teflon coated overheated materials. Exposure to toxic inhalants can cause immediate death in some cases and premature death in others.

9. Parrots are often compared to human toddlers in their need for emotional and social nurturing but unlike human children, parrots never grow up. Parrots are very intuitive and nosey. If they see something they like they might inspect it including moving ceiling fans and large glass windows. It is up to you as the caretaker to keep parrots safe from their own curiosity.

10. Parrots are prey animals and therefore hid any illness. You will need to be very vigilant and be able to read your parrot’s body language for any unusual changes in eating or other daily habits. Proper avian veterinary care for parrots can be very expensive. You should think nothing of at least $100 “just to walk in the door” on your first veterinarian visit.

11. Before you bring home a parrot ask yourself: Do I have quality very day time to spend with a parrot. Am I ready to raise a toddler who never grows up. Perhaps this parrot will choose someone else in the family to bond with and dislikes me to the point of daily bites and nips. Will I be unselfish enough to continue to love and care for this parrot all in the hopes that someday this parrot will at least tolerate me.

12. If my parrot should outlive me, do I have someone in mind to care for this sensitive and intelligent parrot after me.

Good luck in your decision. I made my decision 5 years ago. I am now owned by four (4) birds: 2 greys, 1 amazon and 1 male singing canary…… and loving it!

(Note: I am no expert. This is information I have gathered from personal knowledge of owing 4 birds; from reading posts in the Grey Forums; and from reading numerous books about parrots and different published articles. In other words, things I have read from here, there and everywhere.) These are my opinions and others may not totally agree with what I have written.

Edited by luvparrots

It's very important that we have a good idea of what we are getting into when we make the decision to get a parrot. Yes, when you look at a list like the one provided above, it can be daunting. I spent a long time "counting the cost" before I took the plunge and got Gracie. Life with Gracie has proven that everything you wrote is true. At the same time, however, it is totally OK. I think education helped me prepare mentally and materially for what I would encounter with a parrot. Yes there is mess and noise and bites and expense and destruction and modifications to my life that have been made for Gracie's well-being. But one can get used to anything when it becomes the norm in your life. The rewards are worth it. Parrots are definately not for everyone, however. I hope all visitors to this forum take the time to read this sticky and then investigate further in the process of making a decision about whether or not a parrot fits into their lives.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I just wanted to add for newbies... I tell a certain side of Sophie during these posts. I want to add... when I have had a bad day, or am upset with something personally, Sophie comes running... sticks her beak under my left eye( not sure why), says " awwww Rom"... she knows when I am sad. She is perfectly still, and I tell her everything! She never moves, but adds her awwwww. She is better than a psychiatrist! ( not that I've seen one, but maybe should!) Nancy