NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Introduce your pets

neoow

Just because it's been a little quiet around here lately I thought I'd start a thread for everyone to share a little bit about their birds and other pets. Feel free to include photos

Maybe start with something along the lines of:

Pet name:

Species/breed:

How long have you been owned by this pet?

Character/traits of your pet:

Pets favourite thing/activity:

----

Add any other interesting information about your pets!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Seeing as I started this I'd better participate!

Pet name: Alfie

Species/breed: African Grey

How long have you been owned by this pet? Since he was 11 weeks old. He came home in 2003

Character/traits of your pet: prefers noises over words... The louder the better! He knows the perfect time to mimic a laugh. He has a secret bromance going on with my housemate. He likes head scratches but only when he wants them.

Pets favourite thing/activity: dried banana chips are a favourite treat. He likes to shred cardboard and toys. He likes climbing.

Pet name: Widget

Species/breed: Bengal cat

How long have you been owned by this pet? He came home with his sister Pixel at 13 weeks old in 2011

Character/traits of your pet: energetic and playful. Extremely vocal with a very unique meow. Makes demands for food, play, fuss and bed time (he yells at me to go to bed so he gets his bed time fuss). Not overly food motivated but will devour tuna. Refuses to wear a collar or anything similar. Indoor cat. Very loyal. Agile. Can catch a fly in flight.

Pets favourite thing/activity: chasing and playing with his sister, Pixel. Bed time fuss. Early morning fuss. Tuna

Pet name: Pixel

Species/breed: Bengal cat

How long have you been owned by this pet? Came home with her brother Widget at 13 weeks old back in 2011

Character/traits of your pet: energetic and playful. Vocal but not as loud or demanding as her brother. Very affectionate. Will come trotting across the room for a bit of fuss. Clumsy. Very solid build and makes a lot of noise when she lands.

Pets favourite thing/activity: she has a green/yellow sheath from an earth cable which she stole from my dad's tool kit when she was a kitten. This is her favourite toy and she carries it around and plays fetch with it. Seems to favour green or yellow toys the most. Likes going outside in the aviary or wearing a harness

Included some photos. Widget is on the left and pixel is on the right... They wanted to go outside to the aviary so were standing up at the back door yelling at me!

IMG_20180606_210834.jpg

IMG_20180509_172301.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Greytness said:

We have a total of 19 birds and pets, so sadly my portion of this thread would turn out extremely long!

43 minutes ago, Greytness said:

I've always wanted a Bengal cat! They are incredibly smart, drop dead gorgeous, and such very active cats!

Ah yeah- I could see that taking some time! Happy to have very brief introductions though!! 😂

Bengals are amazing cats. I've never really been a cat person until we got these two. Their personalities remind me of dogs more than cats. They are crazy, energetic, curious and strong willed. But they are also incredibly loyal and affectionate (in their own way). neither of mine are "lap cats" but they have their own way of showing and receiving affection. Widget will wait for me to come home from work and come trotting down the stairs to say hello and get a bit of fuss. I was away this week on holiday and according to my housemate he would wait on the stairs watching the front door waiting for me to come home. Their fur is incredible as well. It feels so soft and silky smooth. They do keep us on our toes though. They are smart, like you say and will often finds new ways to get into mischief!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

But I can give you the short version of the list, which includes 3 of my kids' pets:

Maalik(of course!) CAG, Shaylor-miligold macaw, Dexter-scarlet macaw, Teak-lesser Jardines, Chloe-Meyers, Skittles-pineapple GCC, Walter-BHC, Niko and Gizo-duskie conures, Harley- Panama amazon, Ziggy-male eclectus, Leyna, Ella and Gunnar-german shepherds, Tilly-domestic cat, and my kids' 3 guinea pigs. Does my son's tarantula also count?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Lets see hmmm: Pookie CAG bossy and demanding. Loves deconstructing cardboard boxes. Smokey Joe CAG: All attitude wants fresh flesh from my hands loves one of our boys not so much the rest of us, very good talker. Whisper CAG from a humane confiscation, sweet and loving with me not too rough on any one else. Bat bird often sleeps upside down hanging from cage ceiling. Smarty Pants Timneh: Tough guy goes after the cats and dogs, has a backwards foot that is no hindrance to whatever he wants to do. Talks like an elderly dirty old mumbling man. Sparrow and MIchael CAG: came to us after their human died of Lymphoma at a young age. Michael speaks well and is very trusting, Sparrow had seizures when she first arrived but does well now. She is missing a wing tip I was told that happened with a bad wing trim.  Fred Fred Elanora Cockatoo: unknown age has a history of being rescued from a Crack house he is a self mutilator so wears a jacket and collar to prevent damage. Super sweet bird the lady who rescued him took him to the Vet where it took 2 surgeries to close his chest. Savannah Yellow Cheek Amazon: Came to us after her owner died suddenly. I wish I knew her history prior to that. She has a wing deformation often called angel wing which can be caused by too much protein in the diet of a very young bird. Beep Beep Blue Head Pionus is fostering with us from the Sanctuary.

Just had to put down our sweet dog of 17 years with us this morning, the lovely Sophie. She just turned up at our house and kept jumping into our car until we gave up and bathed her. She stayed after that in stead of being discouraged. she was an adult when she arrived I believe she was between 17 and 19 years old. We still have Widget (popular name here it seems) who had no hair at all, extra teeth and a horrid odor when he found us. We have said he is half chihuahua half chupicabra. Not the smartest but a nice guy. It took a full year of treatment of two kinds of mange, yeast and bacteria on his skin before he grew hair. Got the extra teeth removed when he was neutered, CAts Jax jax-found under a bush (not playing with a full deck) Puppy cat- was dumped at the sanctuary and has one good eye. Puppy cat is the mother of Gerbil -big blue and white guy. LIttle itty bitty pretti kitty- very small calico also dumped at the sanctuary as a tiny 4 week old kitten. Chaos kitty- she and her Mom hubby rescued from a local park that has many dangers, Alligators, Raccons, Coyotes and unsupervised children. Mom cat died a few months ago a cross eyed red point Siamese mix. Chaos is white with Siamese colored patches super muscular, plays hard and selective of her fiends.  Our neighbors cat Wallace hangs out at our house and fights with Chaos through the windows. Last one is Divya a black cat with white bikini markings on her underside found her sitting on a mattress beside a back road I take returning from the Sanctuary she was maybe 3 or 4 months old then. A pack of stray dogs was roaming around so I stopped to get her. photo P1010018.jpg photo P1000723m.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't have time for details.

(4) birds:  a "love" bird (poorly chosen name), male Alexandrine (bought as a baby), naked male Eclectus (rescue), and our newly rescued female CAG.

(2) dogs (rescues): 4 year old 85 lb male pit bull (dumb as a box of rocks!), and a 4 year old chihuahua/rat terrier mix (runs the house).

(2) cats (rescues).  The female is a demanding beotch, you can do anything to the male.

Reptiles:

(2) ball pythons, (4) boas, (1) hog nose snake, (1) sand boa.  Most are lost cost paid rescues.

(1) bearded dragon (that defies Father Time).

(1) female cuban rock iguana.  Very rare.  Chillest iguana ever.  Had (4) cubans at one time.

(1) crested gecko, missing it's tail.  It is what it is.

Who knows what else...

We've had many more snakes.  Rescued 9 once.  Had 4 or 5 tegus.  And many other critters over the years.  We've cut back as the kids got older.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1