NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Trees/plants for the aviary

neoow

I would like to put some (small) trees or plants into the aviary I have in my garden. I saw some fruit trees/bushes at a local garden centre recently but wasn't sure if the branches and leaves were safe. They had a selection of blueberry, gooseberry, redcurrant and blackberry. Are any of these toxic to birds? (Branches leaves and/or fruit?)

The other thing I need to bear in mind is that the cats will be using the aviary too. And they will also happily chew/play with plants and trees. So I have to be careful that the plants aren't toxic to cats.

Similarly, I want to put some tree logs/branches I there for the cats. But need to find something that's suitable for both the cats and Alfie.

I have done a few searches but it's difficult to narrow down what might be safe for both..and of course I find different information wherever I look.

Is anyone able to make some recommendations about what is bird AND cat safe please?

Edited by neoow
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Jayd, that's really useful. I found and checked the aspca one whilst I was looking at the various fruit trees but I cannot find things like blueberry trees in the list- either toxic or non-toxic. I will continue searching as I know my two cats will have a go at anything I put in the aviary, so I need to be careful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jayd said:

So do you think the branches and leaves would be ok if the cats got at them? One of my cats will eat any plant (I can't have them in the house because they would systematically destroy them!).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1