NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Vitamin D

Erfan

Hi 👋 

first I want to thank whoever helped me and replied to my topics. 

Im very curious about vitamin D  

i know it produces when the bird is exposed to sunlight but actually my room is not exposed to the sun , and if the birds don’t  have sufficient vitamin D their body cannot absorb calcium, so i asked a vet he told me , “use multivitamins and also use powder of cuttlebone and eggshell and sesame in his food”. Another vet told “me use spectrum light above his cage “, and another vet told me “i dont suggest spectrum light just change his place where there’s sunlight” ( and last one is a little bit weird because , it is  winter. And sunlight is weak and cannot pass through glasses , ) too many different ideas:/ what do you think guys?  Plz let me know . 

And sorry for mistakes in my topic im not a native English person 

Edited by Erfan
  • Like 2

I use an avian sun light for Timber.  It is important to give them UVA and UVB rays if sunlight isn't available.  This is the one I use:  https://smile.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Aviansun-Deluxe-Floor/dp/B01M6DIDB2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1519399048&sr=8-4&keywords=avian+sun+floor+lamp

This is the bulb alone, but make sure if you don't get the lamp that you have an appropriate fixture to hold the bulb. https://smile.amazon.com/Aviansun-Compact-Fluorescent-Bulb-Pack/dp/B00TNHLTEW/ref=pd_bxgy_199_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00TNHLTEW&pd_rd_r=3E85BWPMTVT345FP41HF&pd_rd_w=bMUuf&pd_rd_wg=ly876&psc=1&refRID=3E85BWPMTVT345FP41HF   Also read the instructions carefully.  These bulbs have a "burn in" time when they need to be farther from the bird.  They are also only good for six months before you need to replace the bulb, even though still comes on.  It losses it's ray generation capabilities apparently.

Another word of warning, reptile lights and others aren't suitable for birds, so if you don't get this one, be careful what you buy. I'm not sure what you have access to in your area. 

• Thanks 2

Hi, (Maggie writing for Jay), Timbersmom is right on and thank you neoow. The sunlight puts out Vitamin D even when it is cloudy so any amount of outside is good for a Grey. Just remember to acclimate your FID for the outside temperature difference. A Grey has an uropygial gland above their sweet red tail....when they preen, they use their beak to spread the oil to the base of the feathers. A Grey absorbs calcium/D supplements very poorly so no supplements please..Most D  is absorbed through the body through sunlight....Over the years I have found that if you use daylight bulbs 6500K, it supplies the ultraviolet light necessary along with an avian bulb. Love you, Jay

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Jayd said:

Hi, (Maggie writing for Jay), Timbersmom is right on and thank you neoow. The sunlight puts out Vitamin D even when it is cloudy so any amount of outside is good for a Grey. Just remember to acclimate your FID for the outside temperature difference. A Grey has an uropygial gland above their sweet red tail....when they preen, they use their beak to spread the oil to the base of the feathers. A Grey absorbs calcium/D supplements very poorly so no supplements please..Most D  is absorbed through the body through sunlight....Over the years I have found that if you use daylight bulbs 6500K, it supplies the ultraviolet light necessary along with an avian bulb. Love you, Jay

Hello jayd tnx for answering  , the problem is that winter  here is very cold for grey parrots and i cant open the window and sun is weak,  also our windows are made from tinted glasses so they make the situation even worse 😬

are you sure spectrum light is ok for parrots? 

By the way i have a irrelevant question is unshelled peanuts ok for parrots?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Erfan said:

Hello jayd tnx for answering  , the problem is that winter  here is very cold for grey parrots and i cant open the window and sun is weak,  also our windows are made from tinted glasses so they make the situation even worse 😬

are you sure spectrum light is ok for parrots? 

By the way i have a irrelevant question is unshelled peanuts ok for parrots?

Hi...Avian sun lights for parrots are excellent...I can't remember how many years I have used them...These and the use of daylight bulbs will supply the needed ultraviolet light (fake sun) to take care of your Greys. Follow Timbersmom's good advice. Your irrelevant question (there are no irrelevant questions): ONLY feed human-grade unsalted roasted peanuts. I personally re-roast them again at 350 degrees to make sure they are safe. Jayd

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are lucky to live in San Diego where I am able to roll the bird cages outside on most days. There is nothing like real outdoor exposure the natural sunlight to give birds the rays necessary to make Vitamin D3. This is a vitamin that acts more like a hormone and i call it "birdie Valium" it mellows them out. Regular sunlight stopped my bird from mistreating his feathers and from having seizures. Vitamin D3 is necessary for helping healthy nervous system function and lack of it can cause seizures.  Giving your bird regular trips outside is one of the best things you can do to have a happy and healthy bird.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1