NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My wild caught congo 1y and 2months grey African parrot growls:(

Erfan

Hi, I bought a wild caught 1.2-year old congo grey Africa parrot 14 days ago and I haven’t  seen any improvement yet . Whenever I approach him to refill his feeder he freaks out and start to growl and scream continuously , I read an article somewhere that if i refill his feeder just in half of the capacity and instead approach him more for refilling his feeder he will understand that you are kind to him and this method actually will boost it’s improvement but I don’t see any improvement:( 

you know guys , i saw people here that tame their parrot within 2 weeks , and i feel frustrated and desperate , could  you please help me to tame him ?  I’m actually kind to him pamper him all day and talk to him softly but  maybe my parrot doesn’t like me at all and he maybe rejected me 😬 maybe he doesn’t like men:(((

Edited by Erfan
  • Like 2

I've just responded to your other thread which looks like a copy of this one, but I'll paste my response here in case the other gets removed for any reason:

Hello and welcome to the forums! There is a lot of information already available that may help you out with this.

First off, you have a wild animal. More so, your bird was taken from the wild, away from other birds and stuffed in amongst humans. This is a MAJOR change for any animal to adapt to. I'm not sure of the history of the bird but you have only known him/her for 14 days. That's nothing at all. Your bird is not like a dog or a cat. Parrots are not domesticated animals and therefore they will not readily accept humans like a dog or a cat might. The process of getting your bird to trust you enough to accept you will be a long and winding road with lots of ups and downs along the way.

What you'll quickly learn along the way is that African grey's operate in their own time. Around here, we call it "grey time". 14 days in "grey time" is nothing. It could take weeks and months for your grey to adapt the changes that have happened recently. You cannot force a grey to do anything it doesn't want to do. You have to let the grey work in it's own "grey time" as every bird is unique and will adapt and learn in it's own unique way. At the moment, you need to take a step back and view things from the parrots perspective. Slow it right down. Don't try and force the parrot to do anything that's out of his/her comfort zone. Obviously you need to feed and water the parrot but other than that all interactions should be done from a distant where you parrot does not scream and growl. Talk to the parrot, read books out loud in ear shot of the parrot. Let them get used to your voice and slowly get used to your physical presence. Everything should be kept calm and controlled. No sudden noises or movements where possible. Always work at the birds pace and watch and learn to know when the bird is comfortable or scared/angry.

For example, my grey has known my current housemate since 2011. It has taken them that long to bond to a point where they can interact with each other. To be fair, my housemate also needed his own "grey time" to adapt to living with a parrot, but it took months of interactions between them before my grey trusted my housemate enough to sit on his knee and accept fuss from my housemate like he does with me.

There will be other members who can add a lot more than I can about this and will be able to advise better than I ever could. However, in the meantime I would recommend you take a look around the forums and threads that already exist to learn more about your bird.

They are truly remarkable animals and the smallest breakthrough will seem like you've just won the lottery. It is worth the patience and perseverance!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, neoow said:

I've just responded to your other thread which looks like a copy of this one, but I'll paste my response here in case the other gets removed for any reason:

Hello and welcome to the forums! There is a lot of information already available that may help you out with this.

First off, you have a wild animal. More so, your bird was taken from the wild, away from other birds and stuffed in amongst humans. This is a MAJOR change for any animal to adapt to. I'm not sure of the history of the bird but you have only known him/her for 14 days. That's nothing at all. Your bird is not like a dog or a cat. Parrots are not domesticated animals and therefore they will not readily accept humans like a dog or a cat might. The process of getting your bird to trust you enough to accept you will be a long and winding road with lots of ups and downs along the way.

What you'll quickly learn along the way is that African grey's operate in their own time. Around here, we call it "grey time". 14 days in "grey time" is nothing. It could take weeks and months for your grey to adapt the changes that have happened recently. You cannot force a grey to do anything it doesn't want to do. You have to let the grey work in it's own "grey time" as every bird is unique and will adapt and learn in it's own unique way. At the moment, you need to take a step back and view things from the parrots perspective. Slow it right down. Don't try and force the parrot to do anything that's out of his/her comfort zone. Obviously you need to feed and water the parrot but other than that all interactions should be done from a distant where you parrot does not scream and growl. Talk to the parrot, read books out loud in ear shot of the parrot. Let them get used to your voice and slowly get used to your physical presence. Everything should be kept calm and controlled. No sudden noises or movements where possible. Always work at the birds pace and watch and learn to know when the bird is comfortable or scared/angry.

For example, my grey has known my current housemate since 2011. It has taken them that long to bond to a point where they can interact with each other. To be fair, my housemate also needed his own "grey time" to adapt to living with a parrot, but it took months of interactions between them before my grey trusted my housemate enough to sit on his knee and accept fuss from my housemate like he does with me.

There will be other members who can add a lot more than I can about this and will be able to advise better than I ever could. However, in the meantime I would recommend you take a look around the forums and threads that already exist to learn more about your bird.

They are truly remarkable animals and the smallest breakthrough will seem like you've just won the lottery. It is worth the patience and perseverance!

Your your answer was really beautiful ,  actually it changed my point of view . Thank you so much 😊 

Edited by Erfan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm glad you found it helpful!
Keep asking questions and keep reading the forums. Everyone here will be happy to help.
Answers might be slow as we are a little quiet around here at times but there are many knowledgeable members here who WILL help when they see your posts. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1