NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Should I let my 13wk old perch on the cabinet tops in my kitchen?

Pi314159

My Grey is 13 weeks old.  I've been told to not clip his flight feathers until he learns to fly.  Well, he is getting around pretty good now.  The only problem is he likes the top of my cabinets.  He keeps chewing at the cabinets, which can't be good for him and his is destroying the wood. I tried to put a piece of cardboard on top that overhangs to actual cabinets by an inch or so but he goes under the cardboard (even though I tried to put tape holding it down) and still picks at the wood (along with the tape).  

Any suggestions?

Should he mainly just perch on his play area above his cage? He seems to like the top of my cabinets better than being on his perch on top of his cage. I feel bad because I have a small apartment and think he should have another perch area, but there really isn't any other places.  

• Like 4

The trick is to find something else that your grey likes to destroy. I had a similar problem with Alfie when he discovered the shelves in the living room. He threw everything off the shelves then started chewing them/pulling them apart. I discovered that he loved to destroy cardboard boxes so I found some that fit perfectly on the shelves. Now, when I let him out, I clear all my things off the shelves and leave a few cardboard boxes and toys up there for him. He will happily sit and shred the boxes for hours and leaves the shelf well alone.

The chewing is a natural behaviour- you just need to find a way to redirect it to a more desirable object if you can. (e.g boxes, old bits of paper, telephone directories... anything he can chew and shred)

Depending on your cabinet- is it possible to tile the tops of them? One of my colleagues also has a grey who loves sitting on the top of the cabinets- so they put tiles on top. Can't be chewed and are also wipe clean! He also fills the space with various toys and boxes to keep his grey busy/distracted.

• Like 6

Wow thanks tiles are a great idea.   Yesterday a cut a piece of pine plywood 3/4 thick and put it on top.   I made it so it overhangs 4in. on all sides.   So far so good,  but the clean up will not be as easy as tile.  

I'm worried he will chew the plywood now and found out it contains glue.   I'm wondering if this is safe for him?

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

OK you have a wood butcher or what can be called a normal African Grey.

You have been given some good ideas when it comes to the butchering your cabinets.

One word of caution.!!! When your Grey is on top of your cabinets make sure they are not perched on a open cabinet door before you close them.

My Corky loves to be high so we have to check and make sure she is not perched on a open door, any door in your house !!

• Like 4

A friend sliced a pool noodle to fit the top of her doors to prevent them closing on little fingers, I wonder if this is something you could put on the top of open cupboard doors for a landing place and your grey could chew on that perhaps.  Also, Home Depot carries a vinyl flooring called Allure which could be fitted over the plywood to make cleanup a little easier and it has a really hard backing on it which might withstand attempts to chew it.  It comes in 6 inch strips and is easy to handle.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1