NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New Rugs

Brat Birds

Hi everyone.  I am starting to look for new wall to wall carpet for my living room.  In the past I have heard that some new carpet gives off chemicals that harm or kill our parrots.  Also I read that if you unroll the carpet for a few days that the chemicals will air out of the rug.  Problem there - how do you know if the store really unrolls it or not?   Does anyone have any recommendations?  

• Like 3

Carpet is dirty and it off gases for a long time if it is made with synthetic material .  Organic cotton is safe as are other natural fibers.  Most wool is NOT cruelty free and can be expensive  but is nearly perfect for rugs. Check it out on line.  Are you willing to think area rugs instead of carpet?    (I have carpet but wish I had tile and rugs instead.)

• Like 2

Almost all tile here with animals and heavy floor traffic it is the only sensible solution for us. We did put a Bamboo runner in the bathroom for stepping onto out of the tub and shower.  I suppose if you are set on carpet you could insist they lay it out in your yard before installing? You can get both tile and wood with nonslip texture.

• Like 3

On 12/5/2017 at 11:39 AM, SRSeedBurners said:

This topic just came up this morning on one of my FB groups.  Some lady lost two of her birds due to new carpet in the house.  Please be careful!!!   I never knew that carpet was lethal...

I had no idea..

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

well carpet shopping didn't go as well as I had hoped.  Actually, in some ways just as I expected.  Rite Rug would have been my choice.  They had the most co-operative people.  They would have laid the carpet out in their warehouse for a week before coming to install it.  They had the best looking carpet too!  Problem - they cost more than twice as much.  The next place had green plus carpets, though not as nice a selection.  They will NOT lay out the carpet.  They will NOT install it after we laid it out somewhere.  So, the best solution we have come up with.  Wait until Spring.  Move Peanut out of the house for at least a week.  Install the carpet, have the carpet cleaned (just steam), open the windows and put a few fans on it.  Not perfect, but the best we can do.  O, the floors were twice as much as carpet.  I am not paying for this, so can not go there.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Not thinking laying it out inside the warehouse full of other carpet out gassing formaldehyde would have done any good as far as airing it out. Tough choices ahead I see. One of our sons worked for a production company for a number of years and many of them purchase carpeting for events such as conventions and seminars then toss it afterwards after being used for just a few days. Perhaps you could contact a company in your area to see if they might  pick up or sell used carpeting that is now surplus?  It is usually in very good shape and has had a chance to air out a bit.

Edited by Greywings
  • Like 2

I know how sensitive I am to off gassing.  I once went into a new Best Buy and had to turn around and leave because the fumes were so bad, so I totally believe that they could kill one of our birds.  I hope the wait till spring isn't too long, but it does sound like your best option.

• Like 2

Thank you Acappella.  Greywings, no, opening it at the warehouse wouldn't have been a perfect solution.  My understanding is that the carpet all rolled up retains a lot of the gasses.  Then opening it up, even with other rugs near it, would allow the rug to 'breathe'. May I ask what is a 'production' company?  Who would I call?  I would have no problem getting a slightly used rug.  The problem would be getting it installed.  I imagine I could find someone to do it, right?  Can you tell I am not very good at handling this type of thing?  LOL  Thanks for all the answers - they really have helped me.

Edited by Brat Birds
  • Like 2