NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Sometimes I feel like a fish on a hook.

birdhouse

There have been members here who were ferociously against bribing a fid. Personally, I think love is lovely. But they're smarter than me & they out number me. I am not proud. I'll take it however I can get it.

So much so that I've even taught my sweet little chickadees how it's done, apparently.

Phenix has re-discovered his love of apples. Been ordering them all day long for weeks now. So naturally he figured he'd make a little suggestion just now when he heard me in the kitchen.

Phenix said in a most hopeful tone, "Appoo?? I'll be a good booyyy...!" w/all the lure & enticement 'she said to him', "I'll make it worth your while..." (if you catch my drift).

Good thing I was where he couldn't see my reaction. Probably just as well that we're out of apples too!

Ahhhh...now you be good and go get lil Phenix an Appoo. I can't resist that stuff. They must see me as a walking pile of playdough.

Toby our Caique, who happens to be the slowest learner in the house, bless his sweet cheeks, has learned to fly into the kitchen and do the dog whistle to get Daddy to come get him a drink. Now GreycieMae, it irritates Mommy to see how the Greybie can manipulate me to do whatever she wants. I'm helpless...

Ahhhh...now you be good and go get lil Phenix an Appoo. I can't resist that stuff. They must see me as a walking pile of playdough.

Toby our Caique, who happens to be the slowest learner in the house, bless his sweet cheeks, has learned to fly into the kitchen and do the dog whistle to get Daddy to come get him a drink. Now GreycieMae, it irritates Mommy to see how the Greybie can manipulate me to do whatever she wants. I'm helpless...

I'm usually the benevolent dictator. Tough as nails exterior w/a gooey marshmallow center. Fortunately, I've been at it longer than they have. Not always in control, exactly. Just pretty good at winging it.

Still Phenix really makes me work for it. He couldn't usually care less about being charming. But boy is he ever aces at being manipulative. And on those rare days when he's being both it's like Christmas morning!

Kura, on the other hand. She waddles over w/that sweet quiet voice, lays her beak against mine & she can get pretty much anything she asks for plus whatever else happens to be handy at the moment. Thing is, she isn't usually there asking for anything more than a "hug". I may have mentioned how she's my easy girl. ")

EDIT- my stupid internet cut out before I finished this.

Edited by birdhouse

On top of everything, Phenix was pretty sick for the first couple of yrs. Then we slogged thru a few years of trial & error that finally went pretty well, all in all. Then, the internet happened. Everything combined, it was like Phenix discovered the Fountain of Youth.

Every outward indication & all vet exams suggest he feels like a punk4$$ teenager. No signs of ever slowing down or growing up.

Me however, not so much. After maybe 20 yrs or so, some of his shenanigans got a little old. Now, we're like an old married couple. Hasn't stop me loving him. But some days he's damned lucky I like him. ")

I watched my wife chase Sukei down with a broom handle one day, and I swear she was going to kill him for biting her 4 times in a week, and at the last moment, she stopped. I would have stopped her BUT she stopped herself.

Some folks don't understand these Greys are not like people, they ARE more people than most people are LOL

I don't think it's remotely possible to understand what the full package means whenever people sign up. Day after day, year after year, still barely scratches the surface. Honestly, a decade is like nothing in the scheme of things.

People throw the phrase "forever home" around... spit on the ground

These guys are the truest definition of a lifetime commitment; just short of our immediate family. So yes, by my standards, parrots are people too.

I don't think it's remotely possible to understand what the full package means whenever people sign up. Day after day, year after year, still barely scratches the surface. Honestly, a decade is like nothing in the scheme of things.

People throw the phrase "forever home" around... spit on the ground

These guys are the truest definition of a lifetime commitment; just short of our immediate family. So yes, by my standards, parrots are people too.

I agree, EXCEPT "short of"

They ARE immediate family LOL

See, I think so too. But if one of your household develops life impacting allergic reactions say, who has to move out...? So for that kind of thing only, "almost".

Quick aside but along the same lines, I was really very encouraged to see the pets that were rescued in Houston last week. One family actually had a pig, a dog & 4 kids & Mom said the rescuers, HPD I think she said, took it all in stride. The vid was cute.

I saw a man w/a B&G on his shoulder somewhere early on. But I've never been able to find it since. Hope they had someone's home to shelter in. I know I wouldn't want to have to take a fid, let alone a big fid, into a public shelter!!

• 2 weeks later...
I treat Sukei like a person, and when he says daddy, apple, I give it to him.

He does not ask for anything in return.

He likes Red Delicious apples :)

And heaven forbid you try to sneak a golden delicious minus peel past them!!!

Red delicious apples only in this house and green seedless grapes! If I get the two confused I might as well sleep outside.