NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Olive is Missing

Giannine

This morning as my 8-year-old was preparing the birds' food as she does every morning, she forgot to latch Olive's food dish door shut and our sliding glass door was open and Olive flew outside. So far, we have not seen or heard her. She has the neck cone on still and only just recently began flying so she doesn't fly all that well. Her wings have been clipped since we got her 13 months ago.

I just had fliers made and the kids are posting them around the neighborhood right now.

Obviously I am very worried about her...will the crows kill her? We have owls around here and I am just worried she will be killed. I put her cage outside on the deck where she flew away...any other tips and things I should be aware of?

Thank you

I'm sorry your fid escaped but you did the right thing to put her cage outside where she could see it and maybe come to it looking for food and water, posters up all over the neighborhood alerts everyone that you are missing a beloved companion. I would suggest you go outside and call for her saying things you know she is familiar with in the hopes she answers back which will give you an idea of where she might be. If she stays in the trees she will likely evade the predators, I hope you get her back safe and sound.

We got her home this morning! We saw absolutely no sign of her all day yesterday, despite calling repeatedly for her and walking around the neighborhood. The first thing I did was go and get fliers printed and taped up around the neighborhood.

As day turned into evening and the sun started going down, I decided to try one more time to go around calling for her. As soon as we started walking on the path behind our house that leads into the neighborhood behind us, we heard her respond. We ran toward her voice and found her about 10 feet up a tree near the walking trail. She was trying to figure out a way down and I mistakenly pulled a branch down to "help" her by clearing an area for her which spooked her and she flew off down the street. My son ran as fast as he could after her and we saw her take a left in between two houses. We called her repeatedly but got no response. I knew she had to be in the backyard of one of the houses behind us or even on the street in front of our house so we ran around, calling her.

Finally, we heard her squawking from my immediate neighbor's yard. He is just to the left of us and the tree she was in was very tall and a very short distance from our very own backyard. Unfortunately, she fell silent and would not respond. By then, it was dark. The kids and I set up camp in the backyard to hopefully bring some comfort to her that she wasn't alone. We were well within good earshot of her and she could probably even see us, depending on where she was in the tree.

I ended up going inside sometime after midnight because I couldn't sleep. Between dogs barking, airplanes, cars, people walking and talking, it was too much noise. We went in and finally fell asleep. I was jolted awake at 6:30 am by my 8-year-old saying, "I think I just heard Olive!" I jumped out of bed, put my shoes on and we ran outside and started calling her. The crows across the street were going crazy and for a minute, I was afraid they had Olive cornered. The birds were all so active, Olive would have been a fool to make any noise and draw attention to herself and I didn't want her to.

We went back inside and up to my room, sat on my bed and talked for a bit while listening to every bird call outside my window. A few times, Giovanna said, "I think that was Olive!" but I wasn't convinced so I didn't move. I was tired and so was she. We laid down and continued talking a bit when we heard a call that perked both of our ears up. Giovanna said, "That was Olive!" We heard it again and jumped up and ran outside toward the back where the trail is. Giovanna started calling Olive's name ("Ollie") and Olive immediately squawked in reply. We ran down the trail toward her squawks and found her within pretty easy reaching distance in a tree. The branch she was on curved right down toward me so I put my hand up and she hurriedly walked down and onto my hand. She scuttled up to my shoulder and I walked quickly home while talking to her so she wouldn't get scared and fly off again. As soon as we made it inside the house, I breathed a huge sigh of relief!

I put her inside her cage to eat pellets and drink water while I made some Quinoa and prepared fresh fruits and veggies. She spent most of the day in her cage resting, eating, and drinking. Words cannot express how ecstatic I am that she is back home. We have dealt with two losses in the past 6 weeks (my daughter's father passed and my oldest daughter's boyfriend was just killed by a police officer running him over). Losing Olive would have just been horrible upon already-horrible. I am grateful that we had a good ending.

The lesson I learned in this is to let the bird come to you. Don't try to go to the bird by climbing a tree or trying to assist it in any way. Wings are getting clipped again asap.

Edited by Giannine

Thank you everyone! I just got her wings clipped yesterday. Of course birds are born to fly but in my household, Olive can't even make it outside with clipped wings so it is a necessity, especially because we have such a large household and a dog that constantly goes in and out the sliding glass door (where Olive escaped from).

I realize we were very fortunate/blessed to get her back and don't take that for granted!

Just a thought for the open door - I've seen people mention that they use those door curtains (not sure how best to describe them) that's a row of hanging chains/ribbons/plastic strips? Just wondered if that was an option for your house? Children and dogs could still get out but it may stop the birds from trying to fly towards an open door (because it'll be covered). I wouldn't trust them enough to just leave the door open willy nilly but it may be enough of a distraction that the birds don't try and fly outside?

Apologies for my vague description- I have no idea what they're called or where to get them from! I'm thinking of this kind of thing... https://www.hygienesuppliesdirect.com/images/mainpics/94204.jpg

• Like 1

Just a thought for the open door - I've seen people mention that they use those door curtains (not sure how best to describe them) that's a row of hanging chains/ribbons/plastic strips? Just wondered if that was an option for your house? Children and dogs could still get out but it may stop the birds from trying to fly towards an open door (because it'll be covered). I wouldn't trust them enough to just leave the door open willy nilly but it may be enough of a distraction that the birds don't try and fly outside?

Apologies for my vague description- I have no idea what they're called or where to get them from! I'm thinking of this kind of thing... https://www.hygienesuppliesdirect.com/images/mainpics/94204.jpg

We had one last summer and it was quickly decimated by our Boxer. He jumps/pounces on the door repeatedly if we don't let him in quickly enough so a screen door would also quickly be thrashed.

Over in Europe they call them 'fly chain curtains'. You can't buy them here in the states except through a couple of companies that bring them across the pond. I have two of them. I had to get them to stop our conure from zipping out the door. She's been out twice since I got her less than a year ago. She's a silent and extremely fast flyer so it's very easy for her to zip out that door. This chain curtain stopped her dead in her tracks!

• Like 1

Over in Europe they call them 'fly chain curtains'. You can't buy them here in the states except through a couple of companies that bring them across the pond. I have two of them. I had to get them to stop our conure from zipping out the door. She's been out twice since I got her less than a year ago. She's a silent and extremely fast flyer so it's very easy for her to zip out that door. This chain curtain stopped her dead in her tracks!

Awesome! Thank you so much for that recommendation. I will now set about to tracking one down!

Holland Plastics imports them directly from the UK. Their shipping is incredibly fast too. Both of ours were custom size orders and all they asked was that we purchase the wide to accommodate for the extra length I wanted. We needed the wide anyway so they basically just added the length without any additional cost.

Amazon Holland Plastics fly chain curtain

P.S. our two dogs go in and out of this chain curtain without issue, one of them is a big mutt - got some Irish Wolfhound in him and he can't tear it up.

Edited by SterlingSL

Thank you so much! This should solve my problem and Poppy can avoid getting her wings clipped. Definitely seems worth the investment. I didn't even bother trying to buy a screen door because Solo (Boxer) would have tore through that the first day it went up so this will 1) Keep Poppy flighted 2) Hold up to a crazy Boxer 3) Give us fresh and cooler air to circulate through the house 4) Keep us from getting Mosquito bites.

Win all the way around;)

One last question: What length did you request? Our sliding door is about 80" tall...What length do you recommend?

Edited by Giannine

I had them make it 207 cm long (~81 in). The standard length is for their wide version is 200cm. Our door opening is 80 inches too but I wanted it just a bit taller as I was mounting it on the wood frame above the door and wanted it to reach the floor.

Their mounting hardware is junk. You'll have to buy something to mount it with when you get it. I used a french cleat hanger which works perfectly.