NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Need some advice on handicapped cage

Timbersmom

OK friends, I need some advice. I need to get a cage for Timber to accommodate his current handicapped status. He is currently in a small prevue travel cage, which isn't made for long term use. I'm looking for a small, low cage with the right bar spacing for a grey. Short is important, because though I put towels on the bottom, I still don't want him to fall from very high. The only one I've found is this one http://www.kingscages.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=ATM2029%20Gold which is also a travel cage but is the right size and is aluminum. I've never used or read anything about aluminum. Thoughts or suggestions please?

My King's carrier is the only cage I trust Phenix can't escape. I became a fan after I got his & now I have 3 of the medium size.

They're heavy duty for travel cages. But because they're aluminum, they're lighter than iron or steel cages of the same size. They also don't rust & the paint doesn't fade or flake.

They come apart & set up quickly w/o tools. Which for your purpose is good. Though on average maybe not so much. That takes time vs a fold up cage. Mine also take up as much space knocked down, practically.

The down side besides the cost is the locks & litter tray. My oldest cage is 9'ish yo & it's good as new. Literally. By the time I got my second one they were having manufacturing issues. I had to have the food door latches replaced almost immediately. They're crap quality & don't quite fit like they should. Last I knew, you could buy replacements for the plastic ones. And they were now using the same latches for the cups as the door.

The grid is not very far away from the litter tray. So it only serves to keep a fid up out of the crap. It doesn't do anything to keep fids from trash picking, if they're so inclined. I had 2 birds get sick that way. So it's a thing w/me. If I were setting this up for long term, I think I'd see if I could find an aquarium or cage stand & put the tray under it instead.

So overall, I think it might be a good way for you to go. But for alternatives would something like this be another possibility?

http://prevuepet.com/product/114/corner-bird-cage-wplaytop-bird-cage-3156w

I'm really surprised at how "big" Phenix corner cage feels vs the actual size. Also, the perching naturally lends itself to levels that might help Timber be able to move around more easily & securely w/o actually having to climb.

Just thinking if he's not the escape artist my little beastie is, then maybe a small parrot cage might be a bigger, cheaper way to get a low cage w/some reasonable length & width.

Edited by birdhouse

I have a small kings travel cage for Alfie and I can't fault it. Very well made, very solid. Yes it's on the heavy side but not heavy enough that it causes me any issues. The only thing I don't like about my one is that it comes with bespoke plastic food/water cups that would be difficult to replace. But as Alfie isn't in it for very long they haven't been ripped to shreds yet. I don't know if that's the same for the cage you are looking at or if they changed that design.

Thanks for the info birdhouse and neoow! I think they've upgraded the cage a bit, it now comes with stainless bowls and perhaps a different kind of latch? The corner cage in the link is too tall, since my biggest concern is falls. The close grate shouldn't be a problem because I have to put towels in the bottom of the cage. That might be a concern later if his coordination improves substantially, but if that happens I'll probably be moving him back to the old cage. I went ahead and ordered it from King's. It was $10 more than the ebay link ($339) but I might get more cooperation if there are any issues so it was worth the $10 to buy from the manufacturer. I didn't get the gold one in my link, it was 329 but had plastic bowls and latches. I got red in the newer model. Here's hoping it works! Thanks again for your input.

I found where it was a known design flaw when I researched the failing latches on my carrier. Had been for a couple of years by then. So I expected it would be a pretty simple thing to call Kings for some replacements.

They told me it would be no problem at all... to the tune of $14.95 plus shipping & handling *each*. Sum total being $40+ for two.

I "explained" how that wasn't going to happen. How a cage w/o secure doors actually seemed to me like it should qualify w/Consumer Protection as a good recall candidate. Especially since Kings had been aware of this major point of failure literally for years. They were bloody well going to stand behind their over priced, sub standard product or else.

After some further "discussion", she put me on hold, came back & informed me they were out of latches. She didn't know when they'd be getting more.

So silly. I of course said I'd wait for as long as it took. After making a few "follow up" calls, I eventually convinced them to replace the foolish latches.

The feed back when I posted about my experience was basically this was par for the course. King's version of "customer service", at least at the time, was known to be the stereotypical hardcore NY/NJ style. Suggest don't take "No" for an answer if it comes down to it.

That said, I certainly get where you're coming from though. Having recently gone thru my own little debacle w/an Ebay vendor & all. The downside of buying things like cages on the internet sometime. Hopefully, this is not one of those times.

Edited by birdhouse

Ugh. I hope they have improved the design! I have to say you sound just like me! My husband says I'm a customer service reps nightmare. I don't give up either if I know I'm in the right. I had a car dealer tell me one time they'd fix the car (finally) but they'd never sell me another one. You can't take poor quality and service lying down or they will walk all over you.

Like I said, they're using the same bolt on the food cups as on the door, now. That should help.

I tried to make sure I listed every imperfection I could think up in case it might effect you. But honestly, while there is always room for improvement w/pretty much anything, those are far & away the best of the bunch imho.

RE CSRs nightmare; I was one for a chunk of my career. Let's say I learned from the worst. I know all the right & wrong buttons & I never yell at anybody who doesn't earn it or have a title. I also appreciate the limitations the poor entry level people have who basically get paid no money to be yelled at day in & day out if they work for a crumby company.

The King's lady literally sounded like family... snotty & entitled. It became a point of pride to bring her down a peg or three ...but that doesn't make me a bad person. lol