NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

In-Cabin Airline Travel Carrier

FirstPenguin

Hello, haven't been on here in a while, but I'm in a bit of a pickle. I'm moving cross-country in 2 weeks and I have reservations booked to take our birds as under seat carry-on with Delta. The only issue is my CAGs usual carrier is more vertical, and the carrier according to Delta can't be any taller than 11 inches. I've bought 4 different carrier and all of them have had major issues on the inside that I can't see online, luckily I was able to return all but one before he could do any real damage to it. Any thoughts on what to use?

Started to remove the bits that hold in the white bars. Would have escaped before the damn plane took off in this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QJEU0Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Better but too flimsy and stuff on the inside exposed for him to chew on.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002VAZUM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

seat belt hook leaves a hole in the top that definitely would been a focus for chewing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DJR9X2C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Metal door was coated with something that he could chew off wasn't real stainless.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FS2X3T4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a Pak-O-Bird medium. I think the perch could be modified to turn it on its side for takeoff and landing and hold him on your lap to watch him so he doesn't chew his way out. You might check to see if they would load his usual carrier from the jetway like they do a stroller etc to hand back to you as you depart the plane. The Pak-O-Bird is soft sided like a backpack so it should pass the under seat requirement. Best of luck.

I have a Pak-O-Bird medium. I think the perch could be modified to turn it on its side for takeoff and landing and hold him on your lap to watch him so he doesn't chew his way out. You might check to see if they would load his usual carrier from the jetway like they do a stroller etc to hand back to you as you depart the plane. The Pak-O-Bird is soft sided like a backpack so it should pass the under seat requirement. Best of luck.

That probably won't work. Someone on a Facebook group said they tried that and they wouldn't let them on the flight. It needs to fit under the seat in the intended way and possibly has to stay there. I have a pakobird for our other bird and I'm sure he'd try and chew his way out.

Sounds like your bird is a chewer and destroyer of carriers like my GreycieMae. She has destroyed two pak-o-birds so it's metal containers for her. This petco acrylic also contains her.

You might try this. It's small but will work for a flight and can't be destroyed:

Petco carrier

Also the small version of this would be suitable for a cabin. We also have these and use them as feeding cages. Use a lock on the door, our girl can open hers:

Country Roost travel cage

THanks for the suggestion, both of these are too tall. I have the same acrylic one and as I mentioned above turning it on it's side is probably a bad idea.

You may have to buy a seat...I would for my Grey. No way I'd leave her behind.

Honestly if I knew then what I know now. I would seriously consider it because they charge you 100 bucks no matter how long or short the flight to have them under the seat. No one said anything about leaving them behind. That's why I'm obsessing over how to get them there without having to take a ride in the cargo hold.

This might be the winner. Just arrived today. It's exactly 11 inches tall and doesn't waste any vertical height on recessed handles or stupid accessory pockets. We just did a dry run at home and despite having some structural weaknesses in the clear lid, the fact that those are above him seem to make them harder to get leverage on. Going to take him for a walk in it tomorrow and see what happens.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019SKF8OU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Google 'under seat airline pet carrier'. You will find quite a few available options.

Thanks, seen those, most of them are 8-9 inches tall for interior height. Which appears to be the lowest common denominator for airplanes. Feels far too low for a CAG. Perfect of our senegal. We're going to go with the 11 inch one we have. I think with a little customization and reinforcement it will do the trick.

Looks like I have a sister-bird to your Elwood. Wendy Craig Grey here too.

Wendy is the best. She was one of the only people who truly had a positive reaction to my interest in getting a truly unclipped grey. I give her methods a lot of credit for the bird that elwood is today. When was your bird hatched?

Oct 31 (yes, Halloween) 2012. I didn't really have any interaction with any other breeders but I was adamant I wanted mine un-clipped.

I wonder how similar they are. GreycieMae is a mess but most of that is probably because I am very playful and rough house with her. She is one of the most playful birds I've ever seen. Not sure how much of that is genetics vs. environment. She won't talk, at all. Does yours talk?

Oct 31 (yes, Halloween) 2012. I didn't really have any interaction with any other breeders but I was adamant I wanted mine un-clipped.

Elwood was hatched April 28th.I wonder how similar they are. GreycieMae is a mess but most of that is probably because I am very playful and rough house with her. She is one of the most playful birds I've ever seen. Not sure how much of that is genetics vs. environment. She won't talk, at all. Does yours talk?

That's crazy close to Elwood. He was hatched April 2012, he just turned 5. What did Wendy name her initially? Could it be from the same clutch? I wonder if they're from the same breeding pair. Elwood kinda talks, 2-3 words, but mostly imitates sounds and whistles, loves to whistle. He says hello, used to say how are you, that went away. He said peekaboo for a bit, also went away. I call him a flying puppy, because I play with him like i would a puppy. I can handle him however I like and never get bit, beaked, squeezed a little, never bites. He's used to being carried around like a chicken or baby, where you lean part of their weight against your chest.

I always theorized that fully flighted congos have less motivation to talk. Elwood communicates in a very physical way, he pushes the blunt part of his beak agains my cheek to get my attention, and other subtle things. He really doesn't need to be picked up since he flys to me whenever he wants.

Most likely the same parents. If you still have Elwood's paperwork, it says who the parent birds are: Manley and Jessup are GreycieMae's parents. Wendy gave me a tour of the place and I only saw one breeding pair of Greys. She had a lot of other different breed pairs.

Her initial name was 'Mystery'. Clutch of three, she was the youngest. Sister's name was Dixie, brother was Loki. Wish I could go back in time, I'd get him too. Dixie was sold when I went to see Greycie. I'm getting a kick out of reading her paperwork, I don't think I've read this stuff since I got her. Wendy went into a lot of detail how she raises them, their personalities etc. Great breeder. She no longer lives here :(

Your Elwood sounds identical to my Greycie. Talked a little at first, 2-3 words and then nothing. She also said Peekaboo, I think that was her first and best word. Has moved on to a lot of her native Grey lingo. Also has picked up Caique and Jardines. She also communicates in a very physical way. She pushes the front of her beak against my cheek which means she wants attention. She will reach out for kisses. Will pull on my hand wanting to hand wrestle. Offers food (better hurry or she'll rescind the offer).

I also carry Greycie around like a little baby/puppy. She's super affectionate and tactile. Gets around on her own super well too.

We have the same theory about why they don't talk. I've put it out here and on FB/Avian Avenue why I think none of my birds talk (exception of a non-flying cockatiel). Someone always shoots it down with an example of their flighted bird that talks just fine. However I'll stick to my primary example of Project Perry: they have tons of Greys in a habitat and those birds do nothing but talk Grey. I think they learn to talk because they're locked in solitary most of their lives. Just a theory though.

We have an 10'x20' aviary that she spends a ton of time in with her two flock mates mentioned earlier Toby (caique) who she hates and Rio (jardines) who hates her). Great dynamics there! Would love to hear more about Elwood. I'll probably spend some time digging through your past posts looking for info on him. Super glad to find out about him!

Sorry to derail your thread!

Here's just a few videos to help you get a feel on her personality:

Helping me play some shoot'em up video games:

Edited by SterlingSL

I tried putting these videos in the same thread but apparently they made some stupid change where you can only embed one video per post. Must be Microsoft in charge - useless enhancements, zero improvements.

My favorite video of her - beat boxing. She taught this to herself, I guess I was watching some and she picked it up. She's a dancer and loves bobbing to music:

Edited by SterlingSL

This video is super long, 15 minutes, but probably worth a watch since you have her brother. Some really cute stuff around the 8-10m mark. Lots of different ways we play in this video. See if you see any similarities! Shows how tactile and playful she is.

[video=youtube;7laZxI-SzUc]

Hope I didn't bore you to death!

Edited by SterlingSL

No worries Sterling, I'm in the middle of packing to move as the original post suggests so I've been busy. Greycie Mae and Elwood are in fact siblings from two different clutches from the same year. My girlfriend found the original paperwork from Wendy and confirmed that the name of the breeding pair was the same. I too wonder why he doesn't talk because he clearly is capable of it.

No worries Sterling, I'm in the middle of packing to move as the original post suggests so I've been busy. Greycie Mae and Elwood are in fact siblings from two different clutches from the same year. My girlfriend found the original paperwork from Wendy and confirmed that the name of the breeding pair was the same. I too wonder why he doesn't talk because he clearly is capable of it.

Well, have a safe move. Keep in touch. Would love to hear more about Elwood when you get a chance and get settled. We'll be right here.

Oh...where you moving to?

Edited by SterlingSL

We live just north of Dallas.

To circle back to the travel aspect of this thread. We have to fly with the two birds to Austin TX first, where I'm buying a car from a family member. Then driving two days all the way to LA. It takes most of the first day just to get out of Texas. Add to that finding decent hotels that will let you bring birds. I found a hotel that never asked about what kind of pet when I made the reservation and let that slide.