NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Extremely Worried About Olive - Injury

Giannine

Hi everyone,

I noticed mid last week that Olive's behavior changed. She was quieter and was sleeping more. Yesterday we found an injury under her wing. Lots of blood. I took her to the vet after hours and a puncture wound was found. I have never left the birds alone with the dogs and always have someone watch them if and when I leave but clearly, someone did not watch them close enough. Nobody is fessing up but I suspect Olive was bit by our Boxer when I left last Wednesday and had my 20-year-old son (who is high functioning Autistic) watch the dogs and birds.

The vet said the wound was scabbed over and cleaned it and gave Olive meds. She sent us home with antibiotics for Olive to take for 20 days. This morning, Olive seemed to have pulled her scab off and started bleeding a lot. I had a mandatory hearing to attend in Seattle and left her in her cage and had the kids stay in the living room with her to keep watch over her, keep her company, and text me updates.

Olive has been staying at the bottom of her cage and keeps going under the newspaper I laid down on top of a towel and will put her head under the towel sometimes, too. She is definitely sleeping more, hardly making any noise, and I have no money to take her back in to the vet. My stomach is literally sick right now from stress. I had some unexpected bills come up this month that required a good chunk of this month's income and had to borrow the $300 for last night's visit from my daughter which was all she had in her account. This experience has taught me to put the birds in their cages if at any time I cannot be here to watch them myself.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am afraid we will wake up in the morning and she will be gone. Not only will that devastate me, but my 8-year-old who is most bonded to Olive. I did try to apply for Care Credit and was not approved.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, suggest calling the vet. Explain that you can't come back in & see if they'll give you some advise. The worst that will happen is they'll say "no" & you'll be no worse off than before.

Meanwhile, suggest powdered sugar, cornstarch or flour. While they all can help w/clotting, sugar has some antiseptic properties as well. I might try putting it in a turkey baster or eye dropper & see if it was possible to blow it onto the wound & under the wing above... But that's just a thought.

Olive could maybe be transferred to a hospital cage. I like plastic cat carriers, but pretty much any small travel cage or aquarium will do. A heating pad goes underneath (the ideal temp is around 85 F for sick birds). Then a layer of towel between it & the cage, another towel on the bottom of the cage, another totally covering everything. Food & water w/in easy reach. Go crazy, make it the good bribery if you have some handy. Bet you've got peanut butter, right? That's my usual go to.

Put the cage in a safe, quiet place & let Olive rest. Sleep is sometimes far & away the best remedy of all.

As soon as it's feasible, get her some coconut milk. It has the components & electrolytes of blood serum. Syringe or dropper feed her as much she'll take as often as she'll take it. She can probably use the hydration. She can certain have the meat, too, if she's interested.

Try not to worry (I know!). But lots of times they're not as fragile as we think.

Also, fids can be the very best example of how crap happens. Could this maybe be a toy or branch puncture for instance? I know you want to get to the bottom of this so it doesn't happen again. So cast a wide net here & resist the urge to assign blame to the obvious answer w/o really really good reason.

Sending lots of good wishes. Let us know how it goes.

Edited by birdhouse

Thank you so much. I was an absolute wreck yesterday fighting off tears constantly and sick to my stomach. I was afraid she wouldn't make it through the night. She seems to do better then not-so-much. Right now she seems quite lethargic and weak. She sleeps a lot and spends a lot of time at the bottom of her cage which she never did before. She also keeps staring down as if she sees something that isn't there. I noticed that when she is on my arm or shoulder. Between Olive and one of my kids having surgery this morning, I am a bit overwhelmed. She keeps pulling her soft down gray feathers out, also. Right now she is on her favorite boing in her cage where she sleeps. I do have a small cat carrier that Poppy came in that has a perch in it very low to the floor. I think I will go ahead and put her in there. She seems to want to be with/on us far more than in her cage so we have been holding her a lot more so she has company and comfort.

I will take your advise and go get some coconut milk and a heating pad. I did feed her some warm oatmeal with a bit of peanut butter mixed in earlier which she enjoyed. Thank you again. I will keep you updated.

Also, fids can be the very best example of how crap happens. Could this maybe be a toy or branch puncture for instance? I know you want to get to the bottom of this so it doesn't happen again. So cast a wide net here & resist the urge to assign blame to the obvious answer w/o really really good reason.

Sending lots of good wishes. Let us know how it goes.

I didn't see this part of your message when responding. I did speak to my 20-year-old again and he seemed genuine when he told me he wasn't aware of our dog getting ahold of her. He has become very concerned about her since learning of her injury when he normally doesn't pay too much attention to her. I am now wondering if something else caused this. Especially since the day before we noticed her injury (and I believe it happened several days prior), Olive was waltzing around on the floor right in front of our Boxer's nose as he lie on the floor and showed no fear of him whatsoever. I was right next to both of them. I never allow her to be close to him for too long simply out of caution since he likes to play so much.

I will look around her cage to see if I can find any clues.

With the antibiotics and good advice for putting her in a heated small cage and offering her coconut milk, you are on a good path. You may never know what happened, so follow good care and hope for the best. Don't be hard on yourself. You have a good handle on things and its a rough time in your household right now. I wish I could send you a hug.

We went and got a can of coconut milk and heating pad and she is now in her "hospital cage" with a tiny little condiment bowl of coconut milk. She likes it a lot so I don't have to feed that to her with a syringe. I am glad I was advised to do this...it makes most sense to me that she would recover quicker in a confined area where she doesn't have the freedom of roaming around her cage from top to bottom and side-to-side, using up all of her energy. I will keep her in the carrier until I see moderate improvement.

Another thing I forgot to mention is she is quaking again like she did when she was a baby...any Quaker owners have any input on this? Again, I appreciate the advice and input.

They are named Quakers for that reason. It's more common but not limited to young birds. Usually they do it when they're very happy or excited.

I'm glad Olive is taking to the coconut milk. Most birds do.

The reason for hand feeding wasn't to make sure she got some. It was to make sure that she only got fresh milk which has not been allowed to sit & develop any microorganisms. She's currently got a weak & vulnerable metabolism, remember. And if anything was to take hold, it would be extremely virulent because she's already on antibiotics.

Hand feeding her the coconut milk is a good way to set a limit on disturbing her too. You can interact w/her & check her out while she's feeding & let her go back to resting in between.

She should have both food & water available in her cage, though. Like I said, I like to leave a glob of peanut butter. It's extremely easy to eat, won't spoil & is very high energy. Hang the dietary rules otherwise for the duration. Now it's just about getting her up & around again.

Edited by birdhouse

Ahhh got it (coconut milk+syringe). Makes sense. Well, I definitely know Quakers quake, it's just strange behavior for her since she really hasn't since she was a baby. I took her out for a bit this morning and she seems to have pulled her scab off again. She is tired and weak again and uses her beak just to move around on my arm which isn't normal for her. She normally hops good distances and gets around quite well. Much better than Poppy. I put her back in the small carrier and she is trying to find a way out. She seemed to be doing that when I got her out this morning. I'm worried she is spending all her energy in there doing that. She was acting extremely sleepy before I put her in and couldn't keep her eyes open.

For some reason she keeps chewing on the little hand towel I have at the bottom of the carrier, too. She was doing that last night and even falling asleep while chewing on it. I will be able to take her in to the vet again if a payment I am expecting comes through...just need to play the waiting game.

I have to travel across state on April 2nd and back the same day so that I can administer her meds...going to see my grandparents possibly for the last time as my grandfather was recently diagnosed with Leukemia and is supposed to turn 90 this year so because of his advanced age, he decided to forego chemotherapy. I am trying to decide whether to leave her here or take her with us. My 20 and 15-year-old will be here but all of Olive's favorite people will be on the trip. Thoughts?

Olive's feathers loss from under her wing has now extended down to the top of her leg. She is still pulling out her soft gray feathers and messing with her feathers quite a bit.

I put her in her big cage for a bit earlier a few times to get her out of the carrier and for some reason, she keeps hanging onto the side of the cage so she can keep her head under the strings hanging down from her sleeping boing. She was sleeping like that and has never done that before. That is where she stayed each time she was in her cage.

Being in the small carrier seems to be stressing her out and she gets agitated. She paces and will hang on the door or bite at it, trying to find a way out. She doesn't rest much. I'm not sure how much good it is doing her.

She likes her medicine and takes it readily. I have given her peanut butter and coconut milk a couple of times today.

IMG_2368.jpg

Picture taken just now^

I've been pretty concerned about Olive these past few days because she has been limping pretty bad and likes to sleep pretty much all day wrapped in a blanket. I am feeling a bit better today because, though she hasn't begun talking again, she did become pretty vocal last night for the first time in a couple of weeks. Up until then, she has been quiet. She was doing her call that she does when we go out of the room or she wants something.

The only thing I can think of as to why she is limping is that she pulled out all of her feathers on her back under her wing and almost all the way down that leg and there is scabbing from that. Overall, I have a lot more hope about her survival now:D

I will definitely be taking her back in for another checkup as soon as possible. She was prescribed Metacam for 5 days which she is now done with...I think last Saturday was her last day taking that. I wonder if I should ask the vet if I can continue giving it to her...

Yes:D This is why I would like to see if I can give it to her for her leg (pain). The vet called back this morning and said to give it to her again for 3-5 days. I'm just looking forward to being able to take her back in if she doesn't stop limping on her own.

I would call the vet and ask if you can have more of the metacam, if you can't take her in right now. Our vet is pretty easy going with anti inflammatories. I've also always heard that cayenne pepper is good for inflammation / pain in birds. I give it to my gang because they love it sprinkled on their pellets, but it's something that is worth a try.