NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

GreycieMae's toybox

SRSeedBurners

Everybirdy needs a toy box. Wife has been after me for - I don't know how long - to build Rio, our Jardines, another hidey-fort for the aviary. He loves to hang out in little wooden boxes and the GreycieMae loves to turn them to splinters. So I decided to build GreycieMae a hanging toybox that I've been promising for a while now. It didn't take long. I had all the tools I needed in a pile from a fence job I finished that day. I was in the middle of a putting up some insulation/wall board and was waiting on my daughter who I sent on a gofor job to get more insulation. So this took about 35 minutes from raw fir strips to finished GreycieMae hanging skybox!!!

I know I hit a home run when the birdies get possessive and wanting to fight over the new toy. Looks like I'll have to be building another soon.

GreycieMaeToybox02.jpg

GreycieMaeToybox01.jpg

GreycieMaeToybox03.jpg

Too cool for school! It would be great if you would set up a Sterling Ranch Etsy shop so we could buy some of your GreycieMae specials. Love this one!

Hmmm...an Etsy shop. Sell bird toys so I can buy more bird toys. Is that like selling drugs to support my drug habit? :D

Love this idea! Looks like greycie is having a blast!

If you look closer, especially in the first couple photos, you'll see the look of annoyance on her face. Her and the Caique had been in a standoff over the new toy for a while when I decided to bust out the camera. Same thing happened when I hung GreycieMae's birthday net. She hates sharing anything with Toby. She'll share her food with me all day but Toby can shove off!

This morning, I went looking for Kura to feed her breakfast. Found her right where she's been since October 3, sitting on her 2 now totally mangled eggs. "Well, maybe I'll get her back tomorrow".

When I saw this thread I thought, "Oh it's a cool new hangout!" Then immediately, "Oh crap, it's a nest box." Sorry to be a kill-joy & all. But since I don't wish a broody hen on anybody else, I thought I should share that.

This morning, I went looking for Kura to feed her breakfast. Found her right where she's been since October 3, sitting on her 2 now totally mangled eggs. "Well, maybe I'll get her back tomorrow".

When I saw this thread I thought, "Oh it's a cool new hangout!" Then immediately, "Oh crap, it's a nest box." Sorry to be a kill-joy & all. But since I don't wish a broody hen on anybody else, I thought I should share that.

There were similar comments on the Grey FB page. However several others jumped in a said it's not nearly closed in enough to send a normal grey into broody mode. It's a LOT less closed in than a cardboard box (which she's in right now shredding to bits). I would consider a cardboard box a broody box but lots of people give those to the greys to shred.

GreybieBox.jpg

It's always going to depend on the bird. Which is why I debated saying anything & then decided to lead w/my problem child.

In the wild. ekkies nest in rotten tree trunks. So logically, would you think she'd be looking for a hidey hole like say a cardboard box? But this ain't my first rodeo. So no cardboard boxes & nothing enclosed as soon as I realized she was going to be a hormonal little hen.

Soooo, she started laying in her food cups. Aside from the floor, it doesn't get any more open than that. And since she doesn't quite fit into a cup, I'm pretty sure that's got to hurt week after week.

I guess it's been 5 yrs now. I can't stop her (so far). I can't encourage her. But I can't stand to see her tortured, either, 3 times a yr. So I compromised. I bolted a ferret litter box into one corner. Still not giving her a suitable nest, by all accounts. But sure enough, she laid this next clutch there, like I expected.

GreycieMae is going to do her own thing. Hopefully, she won't be laying eggs & all like that because trust me, it takes a lot of the fun out of things. Double extra if she has egg binding problems. But since prevention can be the best cure, like I said, I felt like I should at least offer it up for consideration & hope I'm totally wrong.