NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Wing shaking

Charlie Parker

Hi everyone,

Just need some advice here. Charlie Parker has a new friend as of this past weekend. I rescued an 8 year old congo named Oliver, he is sweet. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has experienced a grey sitting in one spot with wings out slightly just shaking them like he wants to go somewhere but stays put. I have him in his own room with a radio on, he hangs out on his rope perch and makes all kinds of whistlestuff but when I come in the room he makes this little quiet peep sound and does the wing shaking thing, I'm not in the room now and he is doing that peep sound. Does he want attention? I am just sad that I can't read him, I don't know what he wants or desires. I try all I can with getting him and having him hang out with me but he just shakes his wings and seems extremely nervous but when I put him in his room he starts "crying " again for a short time. His previous owner was an older lady who whistled at him more than talked to him, don't know anything more about this person. So any thoughts? Thank you

Oliver is in the early stages of adjustment to a new home, please give him time to adjust and settle in and that can take a while as grey time is slow. You will eventually learn his body language and it may be different from Charlies as they are individuals but it sounds like he is wanting to be with you.

It does sounds like he wants to be hear you. My Ekki does that all the time. Points and shakes until I pick him up. He's a rehomed bird who'd always been clipped, so he doesn't know that his intact wings can catapult him over to us any time that he wants.

Hi all, I do believe that he shakes his wings because he wants attention or wants to be with us. However, he has done this about 30 minutes prior to bedtime since we brought him home. It almost seems like he is not in control of this action and looks at us like he's saying I don't know why I am doing this but here I am doing this. He stops immediately after I turn the lights way down low and I leave the room. I peek in on him and he is still and sleeping on his perch. Now a new thing is happening, he likes to be on the floor for some reason in his sleep room and chews on the furniture in there, go figure right. I really don't mind about that but if it continues I may have to start putting him in this smallish cage just to sleep at night. Oh I do notice that he gets cranky in the evening as well, kinda snaps pistachios out of my hand instead of just gently taking them from me like he normally does. I know it will take a long while to get him comfortable around here, he is a good boy, just nervous as to be expected. Thanks guys for your thoughts, I do appreciate it very much.

• Haha 1

Timber is a "floor bird" also. He loves to strut around the house, hide behind things and forage for tidbits I might have missed cleaning. He likes to get under his cage and "hide." Sometimes he will take a beloved blue plastic straw under there and I hear his talons scrabbling around under there (tile floor) as he plays with the straw. He also loves to chase shoes. He will bite the shoe then jump on top of it and flap his wings in a show of dominance. They are such funny creatures!

I think your baby would benefit with being read a story, or something that rymes ( thomas the tank engine, or Shel Silverstein), 30 minutes before bedtime, just done in front of an open cage. Your new baby can sit on door, no pressure or expectations. I bet your new baby will climb down sooner then you think to be with you. Sophie LOVES the floor as well as she loves the air. She doesn't really have a preverance. It is so important to understand each other and develop the trust. Nancy

• 2 weeks later...

Nancy, yes oliver does crawl down his cage to come to me to attack me lol. He is hell bent on letting me know he wants to rule over me. I've noticed he does not like shoes..... at all! Oliver will be alright eventually I hope. For now I am just leaving him alone on his cage which is in the same room I am, he seems content with this right now.

• Haha 1

Charlie Parker Yes... Oliver will be alright eventually with you at the helm being ready to be the " pack leader!" The wing shaking, coming down to attack you certainly is putting you in your place. A big firm "NO", recognizing the signs of an attack before it happens, is very important. Returning to cage ( if you can!) Make it sooooo inviting in front of his cage. Playing games with you and family, any misbehavior, BACK to cage and door shut. Reading, singing, game playing in front of him routinely.... he can't resist!

Wrist status only has always been a must for me, others disagree, but I have done this with my rescue and all my birds. You EARN shoulder status!

I have never felt sorry for my rescue sunconure that attacked peoples jugulars and was out of forever homes. They only understand the " now", and thats what you focus on. Always be the leader and develop the relationship even if your new bird just watches if just off the door. If Oliver climbs down and is in " attack mode", intercept Nancy