NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

5 month old grey owner

charl.jpgHi All, I'm John. I picked up Charlie Parker, my Timneh African Grey, at the end of October of last year, 2015. I found him online after researching the behavior and learning ability of African greys, I found it very interesting and challenging. Charlie was hatched on the 15th of July 2015 so he is approaching 9 months old. Let me tell you... I am beyond words on how to describe him, he is such an attention getter, loves to cuddle, and just flat plain astonishes me everyday. I think I love him more than any other "animal" I have ever had. I am 46 years old, have a partner of 10 years and I am retired from the navy, 20 years. Yes I still have a job doing the same exact thing I was doing in the navy but as a civilian, sweet job and pay. I live in Washington state on Whidbey island in the city of oak harbor. Charlie has only met one other bird that is a conure and likes to "beak " with this bird (Tilly). Tilly doesn't like that but does tolerate Charlie I suppose. Charlie really likes to be outside and will "cry" if I don't take him with me when I go outside. I am now associating that with asking him if he wants to go outside, yes he is clipped, I asked not for him to be clipped before I got him but yes he was clipped when I got him. I want to let him grow out new feathers so I can begin the scary task of letting him learn to fly. Going outside will only be done with his harness on when he gets those new feathers going on. Right now he just gently glides while he flaps like crazy but he learning to feather out his landings instead of thumping on the ground, such a good boy! He is learning new things everyday which just amazes me and puts such a smile on my face. Charlie is out of his cage ALL day with either my partner home or I, when we're not here or have him with us, we have to put him in his cage, sad but safe. I try and introduce him to new and different things occasionally so he doesn't get to freaked out if I show him something new. right now he adjusts to new items in about a day or so, his little growl is very amusing, I imitate him and he just looks at me like no! I'm suppose to do that, not you! He bit me pretty good about four times the first evening we got him, I learned I was going to fast. Have not seen blood since the first day. Charlie knows that if he bites we ignore him for a little while so he doesn't bite down hard anymore. We have this bird human language going on, I know what he wants already, is that scary lol. He is a shoulder guy and doesn't have issues with hanging on, I am very gentle and move slow for him so he doesn't loose his balance while he's on me. Andy, my partner, is a little more stern with him in that when andy wants a kiss or wants to pet Charlie, andy gets what he wants. Go figure, Charlie Parker has bonded more with andy than me. I also get a lot of love from both so I am happy.

Charlie eats very well. I give him a local pet store mix of seeds and pellets along with zupreem fruit blend and smart selects also a little bit of harrisons high potency fine pellets. I also add in yogurt sunflower seeds like 7 or 8 seeds on top of his food with a couple banana chips and pumkin seeds topped off with some bee pollen. during the day he also gets a little bowl of mixed veggies. His new favorite treat is mandarin oranges with juice, just 2 little slices of oranges though. Fresh water with a splash of aloe vera juice twice a day. He weighs around 300 grams, I weigh him about 2 times a week.

alright thanks for reading, I look forward to being a part of this get together.

Edited by Charlie Parker
try to add picture

... oh no you didn't!! "Charlie Parker", what a greyt name! You're also the 2nd totally head-over-heels gushing new parront this week. Always awesome to hear...? see...? read! lol

Welcome to GF John. I'm thinking everyone's going to want to read more. And we always want to see some pictures cuz we're just that way around here.

Edited by birdhouse

Congratulations to you, Andy and Charlie on your expanded family. Thanks for joining us on grey forums. Charlie may be more bonded with Andy today but that could change when he reaches adulthood. With that said, our rehomed Timneh is well past that stage and even though I am the cook, housekeeper and everything else... I am not her favored one. It doesn't stop me from trying though, LOL. You have had a great adjustment period and it sounds like Charlie is well loved and supremely doted upon. Please don't wait for him to get new feathers before insisting on the harness, just like a new baby rolling for the first time, you don't get a warning. His feathers and muscle strength will sneak up on you. I'm sure you are already training him to the harness as you are very well-read and intuitive for his caretaking. He is a lucky boy. When you have a chance to read over the forum posts, you are going to love Sterling's outdoor aviary. Thanks for joining us and welcome to the family!

Welcome - great write up. Your household sounds a lot like ours. The humans seem to be the ones being trained to mimic birdy language vs. the birds learning ours. Mine is pretty much a shoulder bird, daddy's girl and we've literally started calling her my little shadow. Our Grey is bonded most with me but she loves to go see mommy and even big sissy when she's in town. We don't have any strictly one-person birds here since they all get messed with by everyone. You can tell their preferences though. We also make fun of Greycie's little growl. When she does it I always have to tell her something to the affect: "oh...you giving Daddy the growly growly. You think I'm scared of your growly growly..." Love to see some pictures!

Welcome! I am not too far from you. We are in Bothell/Mill Creek. Sounds like you have a great relationship with Charlie and there is a good balance between you and your partner. Kind of like with kids...they tend to mind their fathers better than their moms...seems like you all have that type of dynamic going on:D

Hi everyone, just to clear up my title.... I am the 5 month old grey owner, Charlie Parker is 9 months the old as of the 15th of April. Sorry for the confusion if there was any. Thank you all for the warm welcomes. Yes giannine, you're not too far away from me. Great weather we are having huh?

Edited by Charlie Parker