NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Urgent: Advise Needed

Giannine

Will your breeder agree to leave the bird flighted? Some breeders are going to the route of fledgling them and then giving them a slight to full clip.

Fully flighted is kind of a fear of mine. I have 7 kids at home (granted 2 are of adult age) but my younger ones (7-11) are in and out of the house all day and we are opening and shutting the sliding glass door all day for the dogs. So far, I have been of the mindset it would be best to have a small clip so that he or she is able to glide down to the floor and also of course, so we don't have an escaped bird. I will be having the kids go in and outside through the garage door downstairs once we get our Grey and keep the front door locked but the sliding glass door is another issue.

Because of their little lungs, no chemical smell goods. There are natural ones you can use. As for perfume and body spray, i don't, again their little lungs couldn't take it. I hug my flock alot so their noses would be in line of fire. On the rare occasions i want to "feel like a girl" again when we are going out, i keep a body spray perfume by my front door and i go outside and spray it one me and will take the bottle back inside when i get home. If the birds are not asleep yet, hubby will handle the night night duty cause i won't go near them with it on!

What ever way you choose to go with the wings, I understand with people in and out that you would feel safer with clipping, that a bird can still make it outside clipped. If you are handy or know someone handy, have a safety door built. Because once outside, any gust of wind will give your bird the boost it needs for flight. Make sure before clipping though that your bird knows how to fly. It is so sad to see an older bird who finally gets their wings back and not know how to use them.

Where there is a will there is a way. If your patio has room, you might be able to screen it in as a second chamber in case the sliding door gets opened. The second door could be on a hinge to shut itself. Just a thought. I also have the idea Gil never fledged. It would be the best thing to get your baby started and once his flight and neural pathways develop a light clip might help keep him partially flighted long enough to give him a good start. It's a tough subject and what is right for one home may not work for another.