NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Urgent: Advise Needed

Giannine

There is a situation that can't wait until this weekend to share with you all. I was on Craigslist yesterday looking for a cage and came across an ad for a 6-year-old Timneh being rehomed because the guy's wife died and he was her bird. He said they got the bird, Buddy, about a year ago and that he had been abused in the past. I have no idea how many homes he has had and this guy has very little information on him.

The guy is not a "bird person" as he says and is at work all day. Buddy is in his cage all the time. Buddy seems to prefer women and I am afraid by the way this guy is sounding (desperate) that he is not going to screen potential new homes properly. He said "the bird needs to go".

Should I take Buddy or not? I have my reservations. Buddy does not have a band and I have no way of verifying his age or where he came from. He said a woman from Oregon also emailed and is interested in him. I'm assuming if she is willing to drive several hours to the Seattle area, she is serious.

I have decided to take him. I am on 4 waiting lists for a baby Timneh but I remember someone on here saying "A bird will find you". I really did not believe I would get any other bird than a baby from one of the breeders I am on waiting lists with.

I know a rehomed bird is a great deal of work. One who has been mistreated is even more challenging. I wrestled in my mind about this and it came down to me not wanting this Grey to end up being rehomed again or multiple times and me knowing I will be committed to him and understanding there will be years of work ahead of me. I am hoping to be able to come here and get advise from all of you throughout our journey. He is coming on Friday with his cage and all of his belongings.

Thank you:-) I think it probably is meant to be because I wasn't looking for a bird at all. I have been quite content to wait patiently for one of the breeders to contact me. He doesn't like the guy much (probably because he knows the guy doesn't care much for birds) and he is in his cage all day, every day. His wife was a vet tech. He said Buddy bites. I am going to allow him as long as he needs to get used to us and our home before trying to do anything with him. I will watch for cues from him telling me he wants to interact with me. I spend a great deal of time at the dining room table where I edit every day on my laptop and Buddy will be about 15 feet away from me. I will leave his cage door open every day and talk to him throughout the day. That is my approach I have decided on so far. I'd appreciate any other input or advise

I love taking pictures and will start a new thread on here when I get him. I will use that thread to update and share. I was told he loves carrots and scrambled eggs. He is on Roudybush pellets and apparently doesn't like any other pellet. I will save the pics off the Craigslist ad but they are a bit dark.

Here is Buddy. What is everyone's thoughts on changing a bird's name? I had my heart set on the name Poppy but of course I don't want to do anything to cause more disruption in his life. I have heard that some birds gladly accept new names as sort of a fresh start on a new life when they have been abused. I have read that if it is going to be done, to do it gradually. I have also read one account where the bird readily accepted its new name immediately with no issues. One story of a Cockatoo that was rehomed with no knowledge of its name for a long time was the opposite. When they finally tracked down the old owners and found out its name and called the bird by it, there was an instant connection. What is everyone's thoughts on this?

Buddy.jpg

The name thing isn't an easy call. We had a birdy on here once whose new owner tried to change his name and he told them very clearly "my name is ______" (I forget the name). I didn't change Dorians name, but then again I liked it. He definitely knew his name though. Once your new fid is comfortable enough in your home to start verbalizing you may hear him saying his own name. At that point it's a question of how much you hate it. I do think gradually is the best way to change it. He'll be confused enough being rehomed again so soon, you want to avoid putting unnecessary stress on top of that stress.

Congratulations on letting Buddy find his way into your heart and home. If that photo is any indication, it looks like he is willing to come close to you. Many re-homes spend the first stretch of grey time in a far corner growling. For names... Gilbert came into our lives already named and was dead set against being renamed. Our other parrot, Java has no preference to what I call her and sometimes I call her poppet or other pet names. Lucky for you, Buddy sounds like a generic name for pal. If you start calling him Poppy when you give him treats and he responds to that he may not be resistant to change. It is going to be exciting times to watch you and your family get acquainted with your adoptee.

Well, already things have changed drastically. We won't be getting Buddy tomorrow. Yesterday when I was having 2nd thoughts because I just had a nagging feeling about the guy's story of his wife passing away, Buddy not being banded, and no vet records or any information, I kind of backed out for about 15 or 20 minutes and in that time, he emailed the lady in Oregon who was also interested in him. When I told him I was still interested in Buddy, he told me he would rather him go to me and said he would bring him to my home on Friday.

This morning I woke up to a text message from him saying the woman in Oregon emailed him back and wants him and he can't tell her no since he had already told her yes (sounds messy, right?) and that she already has 3 parrots and is experienced (definitely a big plus) so she is coming to get him.

Everything happens for a reason and I want what's best for everyone. I am ok with this because it happened for a reason. We have another bird out there somewhere, or will soon.

Just for future reference, bands don't mean to much. Half of mine do not have bands and the ones that do i always worry about. They get them stuck in stange places, break their legs etc. Most bands are used by the breeders and you would need their info to even know where to begin a search. With rehomed birds, the past is and in most cases always will be a mystery. Go with your heart when you find one and not your head or reading things on the internet. My favorite internet quote is " i got a papercut and looked it up on webmd, i am 100% sure i am going to die from it".

Honestly, I am glad he is going to a woman who seems to have a lot of experience with parrots. The fact that she is driving from Oregon to get him suggests she really wants him. As for the guy...well, he just wants to get rid of him so I'm just grateful that this woman responded.

I finally found a Timneh breeder who will be having eggs hatch any day now. We will be able to place a deposit once they reach about 3 weeks old so I am grateful to have a light at the end of the tunnel in my search and I am grateful to have the next 3-4 months to prepare.

Now you have had a bit of the emotional rollercoaster that is living with a grey. Just when you think you understand what is going on, it changes. Our vet recommends removing the band, so none of my birds wear theirs although just for safekeeping, I have saved them. I always thought it was like that mattress tag which reads "Do not remove under penalty of law." Once we started attempting to find Java's information, we realized that the band doesn't necessarily give us useful information. About twenty five years ago a closed band was an indication the parrot was banded as a newly hatched chick to identify the poachers bringing in wild captured birds. That doesn't seem to be the case in the US today.

Unless you have an address where Buddy came from, have visited and know the situation, it really is hard to tell over the internet. It may have been a test to see how far you will go. We have had some new members trying to figure out if the ad they answered was real. You are on the right track with thoughtful planning to prepare for getting a new family member. I remember how that felt about seven years ago when I was waiting to bring Juno home and the date kept getting pushed back because he wasn't ready. Hopefully when your chick hatches you will have the opportunity to visit and get to know him before bringing him home.

Boy i am slow, just read through the cage forum that you started about size. Bigger is better! Lots of different toys until you figure out what your new baby likes then in the future you will know what types to get!

I said this before but i really think it should be said again, you really can do too much research and scare yourself silly! Here is basic info you will need when your baby gets to come home:

#1 if the baby is not weaned fully, be patient and wait. Not knowing how to hand feed really can kill your bird.

#2 love your baby until he or she is an adult

#3 everything between baby hood and adulthood, they will teach you, trust any grey owner who tells you that their birds rule the roost!

#4 large cage, lots of enrichment and good fresh foods! Sunlight and room to fly!

Its a Breese! Lol Did i forget anything? Oh yeah, seventh generation rocks for cage cleaning as well and NO TEFLON, SAY GOODBYE TO AIR FRESHNERS OFF THE SHELF AND PERFUME. i miss that the most, lol.

• Haha 1

Boy i am slow, just read through the cage forum that you started about size. Bigger is better! Lots of different toys until you figure out what your new baby likes then in the future you will know what types to get!

I said this before but i really think it should be said again, you really can do too much research and scare yourself silly! Here is basic info you will need when your baby gets to come home:

#1 if the baby is not weaned fully, be patient and wait. Not knowing how to hand feed really can kill your bird.

#2 love your baby until he or she is an adult

#3 everything between baby hood and adulthood, they will teach you, trust any grey owner who tells you that their birds rule the roost!

#4 large cage, lots of enrichment and good fresh foods! Sunlight and room to fly!

Its a Breese! Lol Did i forget anything? Oh yeah, seventh generation rocks for cage cleaning as well and NO TEFLON, SAY GOODBYE TO AIR FRESHNERS OFF THE SHELF AND PERFUME. i miss that the most, lol.

Thank you for all this info. The breeder I am going through only sells fully weaned. She said it takes anywhere from 12-16 weeks. I have read a lot about people still continuing to spoon feed warm oatmeal or beans in the morning or evening simply because their Greys love it.

The cage I finally bought is 32" wide and I made sure that was the inside dimensions this time:-) I hear such differing opinions on size...some say their Greys don't like really big cages while others do just fine. The breeder I'm going through prefers the 32" size.

Question: Can we not use anything to make our houses smell good? I use wax cubes melted in a wax warmer every day...and no perfume? I use light body sprays from Victoria's Secret...no more?

When one door closes another one opens, it just wasn't meant to be for you and Buddy but here is hoping it all works out you get a baby from the breeder, my advice is have them keep the baby until it is fully weaned.

Absolutely! When searching for a breeder, I immediately skipped past any breeder who sells unweaned birds.