NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My Grey Bird <3 (update)

Peachaburra

Hey there!! Maddy here. I've posted here a few times, but I'd like to become more active on this forum, and thought I would start by giving you an update on my lovely Grey Bird.

Last March, I brought home a 20 year old Grey who I thought was going to be aggressive. He had not been out of his cage or handled in over five years. The first night I brought him home, he asked me for a head scratch. So aggressive. :rolleyes: Over the weeks, I befriended him. Grey Bird loved for me to come over to his cage and talk to him, loved for me to be near him, and loved for me to scratch his head. He even started coming out his cage, no step ups though. We continued working on it.

In August, Grey Bird accidently jumped off his cage and didn't know how to get back up. He asked me to help him by sticking his foot up. When he stepped up, giving me no trouble at all, I cried. I sat on the floor with him on my arm and cried so hard. An emotional rush came over me, that after being stuck in a cage for so long and loosing handling trust with his previous owner, he had chosen to trust me. It felt so amazing.

After that, he just started stepping up for me whenever I asked. I was shocked. What friendship we had, started to blossom into more. He started hanging out with me more, sometimes even calling me over to get him.

Fast forward to now, the two of us are smitten with each other. I adore him, and he adores me. I can do just about anything to him. He will sit for hours cuddled on my chest getting head rubs. He is 100% hand friendly with me. He steps up, every time, no problem. If it were up to him, I don't think he would ever leave my side. He will let other people hold him, but tries to get back to me. :P

I'll be honest, I was slightly nervous about bring him home. But our relationship has blossomed into something so beautiful, and I don't regret it.

Don't tell my other babies, but he is the most well behaved bird in my flock. :P

IMG_5860.jpg

• Haha 2

You have such a beautiful flock Maddy. Thanks for the update on Grey Bird. You have worked hard to understand him and have won his heart! This was my dream five years ago with Miss Gilbert and even though you are grey years ahead of us, I know the rush of emotion when these complex and wonderful creatures turns a corner and comes to you with trust. It is so good to hear of an older rehomed grey falling in love in his new home. Kudos to you for being a bird whisperer.

• Haha 1