NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Silvers first babbling

Silver babbled away for an hour , the first time he's ever done it! I was afraid to go out and disturb him incase he stopped but I really wanted it on video. He hasn't done it since, will it get more frequent or was it just a fluke?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtXa6qB8Qm4&feature=youtu.be

--smiling!!-- Isn't that the sweetest!?!

W/Greys, there are always the exceptions to any rule. But yes, most start out as closet talkers, then as they get more comfortable, they usually become more openly vocal. But it also takes how long it takes. So be patient.

And now that you know, next time, set up the recording thingy, then put him on the stand, because we'll be looking forward to more vid's, please ")

That's awesome!

It's possible that it will be a regular thing. Alfie quite often babbles away to himself, testing out all sorts of different noises with the odd word or phrase thrown in. He likes to contact call as well- if he knows I'm upstairs and can hear me moving around then he'll start whistling to get my attention. Him and my housemate quite often have "whistle-offs" from opposite ends of the house haha. It can go on for quite a while!

We often hear of the younger greys "calibrating" while they are alone learning to control the sounds they make. They also seem to have a habit of talking prolifically when we are out of their sight. It might be a way of drawing us back to them with happy chatter. Silver is beautiful. Not to be a party pooper but we see too many birds that are outside getting spooked. Even though they can't seem to fly indoors, an uplift in the wind or pure adrenaline from a sudden fright may end in an unwelcome surprise. But on a happy note, if he is talking trying to get your attention, maybe you could sit outside where he can see you and again, just out of his sight to test his response. He sounds like a well loved, happy little fellow.

Yes he is, is that what got him excited do you think?

At his age, everything is new & exciting. Me it got a little concerned, actually because unfortunately, postings from parronts who have lost their clipped fids aren't exactly rare around here. Many people just don't realize how easily a clipped bird can become airborne enough to sail out of reach or even out of sight. And since they can only glide, not actually fly, their chance of survival & retrieval becomes even less than the average escapee.

The good news is that you & Silver can still enjoy a great deal of freedom outdoors once he's harness trained. Starting now while he's still young will make it all the easier, too. If you have questions, just ask. There are a number of members who can help.

Here's a couple of dhorje's vids for motivation

He's got "a million" of them ")

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/search.php?searchid=1263174

He's a beautiful happy little fid. I echo others concerns about having him outside without a harness on. It looks like he's on a balcony so he'd have height if something startled him off his playstand he could go a long distance and you could easily lose sight of him. You obviously love him a lot. IMHO he shouldn't be outside without either a cage or a harness.

He's a beautiful happy little fid. I echo others concerns about having him outside without a harness on. It looks like he's on a balcony so he'd have height if something startled him off his playstand he could go a long distance and you could easily lose sight of him. You obviously love him a lot. IMHO he shouldn't be outside without either a cage or a harness.

He was outside on the decking on his play stand, it was really sunny and not windy. Today, though was windy and he was having a hard time keeping steady so he took him back inside. Is it bad to have him outside on his playstand?

Is it bad to have him outside on his playstand?

Its risky to have him outside without being in a harness or in a small cage even if he is clipped, many a clipped bird has taken off if startled and can fly enough to be out of sight in a very short period of time, its not worth the risk to lose him when it can be easily prevented. An aviator harness is the best if you want to go that route and a small travel size cage is a good bet for some outdoor time to get a little sunshine.

Since your bird is still a baby, it's a good time to try the aviator harness. It's easier to train a young bird to accept it. You have to go through the steps they give you on the dvd that comes with the product, but many members here have had good luck with it. Then you don't have to worry about a loud noise or a strong breeze startling your bird off its playstand and out of your control and possibly your life.

It isn't that you are being chastised for something "bad", more of a concern for the things we have learned the hard way through the many years on the forum. Other than the possibility of Silver taking flight, the African grey is solely a prey animal. Hawks, cats, dogs, raccoons, weasels and other creatures need only a second of opportunity to devastate you and Silver has no way to defend himself. On a happier note, Silver seems like a joy to behold. I miss those chatty baby days. As he learns to form more words, he is going to amaze you with not only what he can say to you in your own language, but also the context in which he uses his skill. He is an exquisite boy, congratulations.

To add to what others are saying:

Clipped birds are actually in more danger outside than unclipped. I know that sounds insane, but here's what I have seen. Just recently, someone posted about a lost bird in a bird group I belong to on Facebook. They had the bird outside and something startled it. It flew away and they were asking for help and people to share so the bird might be found. Sadly, it was found. It tried to fly down from the trees and evidently flew into a fence, which caused injuries that later proved to be fatal. :( I am a HUGE advocate of recall training. It's something you do and then reinforce constantly so that if your bird DOES fly off, you can call them back. Flighted birds have the skills and confidence to fly, navigate and land. Even with a harness, I recommend working on recall training, just in case. Love the video!

Silver babbled away for an hour , the first time he's ever done it! I was afraid to go out and disturb him incase he stopped but I really wanted it on video. He hasn't done it since, will it get more frequent or was it just a fluke?

Is that him saying "Hello" at 1:02-1:03?