NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Alex, my rescued 18 years old African Grey

samansad

Some of you may already know Alex and watched his videos. I was advised that I should keep posting about him here.

Alex is 18 years old African Grey. Based on his last owner, he had 2 previous owner but last owner was not sure. His last owner thought Alex is 9-10 years old and she told me that Alex is semi-tame. He has this problem that he chew his tale completely. But knowing all these things, I knew I want to help Alex. I drove around 4h to another state picked him up and brought him home. He had few days of honeymoon and after that he showed how stressed he is.

He is living with me for almost 6 weeks and he improved so much. He is still scared and I can see that when I get close to him, he starts shacking but when I offer him grapes he gets it and eat it with joy. Although he is scared, he is trying to build relationship and talk and even gives kisses to me, but he is scared of hand so much.

I am planing to post his videos time to time and hear advise from you guys. Please feel free to give me any feedback or advise. All I want is to provide best home and life style for Alex. I know it takes time and happily I am patient enough to wait even if it takes years.

So here are some of his videos and I will keep posting about him.

Thanks in advance for your wonderful advice and encouragement. You guys are really the best help.

9th days of being with me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oOXKnzC1pk

First time he stepped out of his cage:

He started giving kisses in his cage:

First time trying to teach him to step up and I failed lol:

Alex giving kissed out of his cage for the first time:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its good you are a patient person for it will take time and it may take a year or years for him to learn to trust you for he has been passed around several times and he doesn't know this is the forever home, just remember to not push him for more than he is comfortable with at that moment.

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to update you guys about Alex and his progress.

He is so kind and gentle now. He does not bite, instead if he doesn't like something he leaves or with upper part of his beak he pushes my hand away.

He still doesn't like to step on my hand but I am so happy that he like to dance with us now. He also started taking shower by himself 2 times a week. I caught him taking shower. I just saw his bowl was empty and full of his dust, he was wet and he also made everywhere wet around himself. I bought a bigger bowl for him to use for shower but never had a chance to make him use it yet.

Anyway he starts showing his real personality. He is kind and gentle and most funny thing is that if we don't go to sleep when it is late or there will be activity around his cage when he wants to sleep, he will speak in load and angry voice and keep saying "Night Night Night". He does it till we all go to sleep and he can sleep too. I found that very funny and cute. So now I know when he is sleepy and when he wants to sleep.

Thank you everyone for your help and advice.

You are paying close attention to Alex and learning what he wants. He is doing amazingly well for the short time he has been your friend. It took so much longer for us with an older parrot with trust issues. The way he leans in to you and makes happy sounds in your presence is an indication he is comfortable. The trust to step up will come. Maybe you can find reasons for him to come to you away from this cage. If you place his cage next to your chair and put a ladder or rope for him to climb to you a little at a time, you might find him more receptive. He is still trying to predict what you might do and the longer you are with him the easier it gets for him. Your kind, gentle tone with him is very soothing. You are doing a lot of things well and he is lucky to be in your life.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to update you guys with this good news. Alex tail is now growing new feathers. I am so excited for him and hopefully he will not chew it anymore.

This makes me feel that Alex is happy in his new home.

20150729_223123.jpg

20150729_223007.jpg

Edited by samansad

Definitely a happy playful parrot in that video! Alfie will quite often do similar and hang upside down on his toys whilst beating the living daylights out of them. Later on he'll go back to the same toy, nudge it so it swings then stick his head down so the toy strokes his head.

Definitely a happy playful parrot in that video! Alfie will quite often do similar and hang upside down on his toys whilst beating the living daylights out of them. Later on he'll go back to the same toy, nudge it so it swings then stick his head down so the toy strokes his head.

Alex does, exactly the same thing! Hahaha that is so cute :)

• 2 weeks later...

What do you think about Alex and his reaction towards his new toy? Watch this video:

I used woods that we cut from our trees in the garden, and made this toy for Alex to see if he likes it or not. Well, unlike other toys that he freaks out for a day before approaching it, this natural toy got all his attention, and he does not let go of it. I only gave it to him less than an hour ago and he didn't leave it at all. I took this video 5 mins after him seeing the toy. He was outside of his cage and rush inside to play with it. He already broke 3 part of the wood.

Good work on the toy. I have one small comment for you. The bell that you put at the bottom of the toy is really meant for smaller birds. The strong beak of a grey can break off the clanger inside the bell and that can be a danger to your bird. I've seen Dorian do it, so I'm speaking from personal experience. Get some heavier duty bells with welded clangers. Alex is looking great and very happy in his home. You're doing a great job.