NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Just got my first Grey.

Hi all,

5 days ago I got my first grey(I had parrot before but never had grey). His name is Alex and he is 18 years old. I adopted him. The last owner thought he is 9 years old but on the ring on his leg I saw 97 which I assume it is his birth year. The last owner had it for a year and she was the second owner.

In past few days he learned our name and call us by name and he is so cute. Anyway I am new and I need your help. I have some issues with him and I want to work on it so we can have a great relationship.

1- He likes to bite and even when I am petting him, suddenly he bites so hard. (What is best way to stop him from biting?)

2- He doesn't like to come on my hand and he bites hard. Also as soon as I open the cage he goes on the side of the cage and he doesn't stand on his wood inside the cage so I cannot bring my hand close to his foot to make him come on my hand. If I bring my hand close, he bite badly or goes away.

3- Because he does not come on my hand I wanted to use spray to give him bath but he got so angry and start screaming. How should I bath him?

I will appreciate your help and suggestion so I can build friendly and loving relationship with him.

He get's food from my hand and he wakes me up with his good morning and if I don't go close to him he whistle till I go close and talk to him but when I try to touch him he bites. I read in the internet that I shouldn't punish him. So I am just trying to show him angry face say no and then after few second continue playing with him.

Well with my last parrot I thought him not to bite by holding his beak and talking to him but I read that this method is not a good method for grey.

Thank you

Sam

Hello Sam, welcome to the forums! Congratulations on your adoption of Alex!

Here's just a few things that spring to mind. Others will be able to offer further advice, I'm sure!

First off- 5 days is absolutely nothing in a grey's lifetime. So Alex is still going to be adjusting to the changes that have happened. (And for some greys, any teeny tiny change is a BIG thing, so imagine what a rehome must be like!). Just ease off a bit. Let him explore and adapt. Let him come to you, rather than you go to him. It will happen, he just needs a bit of time to learn to trust you.

Secondly- some greys do not like people in their cages. They can be very possessive of their cages- it's their territory. He also needs to be confident enough to come out of the cage. If you put your arm in that cage and he doesn't want to come out- he will bite. Every time. Open the cage door and sit near by. Give him time and space so he can work out that your home is a safe place to be and that actually, he DOES want to come and explore a bit more.

Try not to rush him into anything. Every parrot is different. Every African Grey is different. Let him do things in his own time and he will learn to trust you. Try to rush him or "force" him too quickly and all you'll end up with is a few more bruises/holes on your arm.

When are you petting him? Is he coming to you for the fuss? Is he showing you that he wants to be fussed? If he doesn't want to be petted then his only response will be to bite. Try and find some resources (either on this forum or elsewhere) about body language in African Greys. This may help distinguish what kind of mood he might possibly be in and whether he's ready for fuss.

I cannot stress time and patience enough. Grey's will do things at their own pace whether you like it or not. Look up some of the threads about a grey called Miss Gilbert here and you'll see what I mean. Her owner is doing an utterly fantastic job of moving at Miss Gilbert's pace and there is SO much to learn from those threads. Another good one to look up is Dorian. Some things will take days, others weeks and some years.

Neow gave you sound advice, Greys are not famous for being cuddly birds so don't expect to be able to get too much hands on for now. He needs to learn trust and having been through more than one home already he he working off preconcieved ideas of what to expect form us humans. Allow him more time to just get used to seeing, hearing and observing all the daily activities around him. Stop and speak with him often, offer little treats once in a while and read to him or sing (they don't care how well or badly you sing). Read Gilberts thread and you will develop an understanding of how Grey time works and how this bird may need to work through his "luggage" from other homes before fully accepting the life you are trying to offer him. Avoiding the bite is the best thing to do we don't want to reinforce that behavior. Oh yes and welcome to our little Grey world here.

Those are great advises and thanks for being encouraging. I so love Alex and he is so cute. When I adopted him, I had only one reason and to give him best life I can.

Neow: yes he brings his head down and basically let me touch his neck but sometimes after two or three mins he try to bite. So you mean I shouldn't be angry at him and stop giving anger look? (I don't make drama because I know they like it. So I just give him a calm No with a straight anger look to his eyes and he don't move while I am looking at him) Also there was this website that said blow in their face. I tried it today and he didn't like it. He got more aggressive and didn't allow me to touch him for a while.

I attached two of his pictures(His cage is not full of toys now but this picture is the first day).

He had this problem in his last home that he chew his tail. I did a search and I found out that it is because of being board and sad. In last 5 days he didn't chew and I hope I give him a good and happy life that he stopped chewing his tail.

alex1.jpg

alex2.jpg

Hello and welcome to you and Alex! As others have said, don't expect much after such a short time. My advice would be to read the "stickys" here on the forum. Their body language is subtle and you have to learn it. Alex has a lot of history that you don't know. It has shaped his responses and behavior, because they have excellent memories and don't forget anything. With time and patience, you can build a good relationship with Alex and he will come to trust you. When I say time, I mean months, not days. I am a rehomer too, and it took about 3 months for Timber to start trusting me. Good luck and God bless :)

Hi. Thank you for taking in this older bird. I echo what the others have said about taking your time. Greys, with a few exceptions, do not take quickly to change, and a change of home is the biggest change he can go through. I wouldn't be trying to touch this bird at all right now. His biting is his way of telling you that he is not ready for this kind of contact yet. You don't want the biting to become a habit because he feels like you aren't listening to what he is telling you. Here is a link to a thread from the Training Forum Room that had some useful information on body language. http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?109373-Body-language-most-frequently-seen Take your time here and look through all the 'stickies' at the top of the pages in each of the forum rooms. There's a wealth of information there for the new grey owner. Heck, sit by his cage and read some of it aloud to him. It will help him get used to your voice and having you around. He's processing a lot of information right now, and a big part of it is deciding whether or not you can be trusted. Your biggest job right now is to earn that trust, and with greys that can take weeks or months. I know you just want to love on him and give him a better life, but he has to come to the conclusion that HE wants to be loved on, and that's probably going to take some time. To give you an idea, it took well over a year, closer to two, before my Dorian would step up for me, but I waited him out and now he comes pretty well anywhere I want him to. The key is that he wants to be with me because he trusts and loves me, and that was the key to getting him to step up for me. Mind you, Dorian is slower than most to adjust to change, and I doubt your guy will put you through the same waiting game, but just be warned, they make you earn your contact. It makes it all the more sweeter when it happens. Oh, and I'm glad he isn't going after his feathers right now, but don't be too dismayed if he does. A habit like that is a hard one to break. Hopefully landing in your loving, stable home will help him to break it, but right now he's in what we call the 'Honeymoon' phase of a re-home, so his behaviour may regress a little bit. No worries, you'll figure it out together, and we're here to help.

Alex sounds amazing! Even if you have determined Alex is 18, he is still quite young and trainable. Sophie is 16 and I learn from her all the time. NEVER put your fingers in their cage, it is theirs. Encourage Alex to train off the door. It will take time to develop the trust. Once trust is established, the door is open to establish the relationship you want. I have no problem grabbing Sophie's beak and saying " NO BITE!" She knows what I mean, but wouldn't respond unless our relationship was established. I am not scared of Sophie, nor am I scared of her bite. She won't bite.... because she knows I am ROM ( mom), I make the decisions,I value her input.

I know this sounds like I am " full of myself", but I am not. I had no issues grabbing her beak and saying NO! How else do they learn? nancy

He actually looks good to me. He's not fluffling out his feathers to make himself look big and scary, he's getting right next to you, even if it is inside his cage, he's taking treats from you. This is all great for nine days in. That sound isn't screaming, at least not to me, it's more like chirping. He might be a little excited and a little hyper. I would just let him be in his cage for now and leave the door open. Don't try to step him up or put your hands on him inside his cage. Mount a perch on the outside of the cage and let him come to it, then try to step him up from there. That's what worked for me with my Dorian. When he went to that outside perch it was his sign for me that he was ready to step up. Now, after being patient with him, I can step him up from anywhere.

You might want to start a thread for Alex in the training room to get some good advice from the members here.

I agree with Acappella, Alex looks healthy and relatively comfortable. He doesn't seem afraid of you, but he is still cautious about his cage and personal space--which is 100% normal.

The best thing you can do is continue to be near him, talk to him (yes even sing!), offer treats and give him space and time to make his own decisions about when and how he will venture into your world. Definitely leave the cage door open and make the outside world seem safe and inviting, but let him make the first moves. Unless offering an invited pet or food treat, keep your fingers and hands away from his cage as much as possible. My nearly 4 yr old, very loving and attached CAG still scolds me when I intrude with a curt "Aah! Aah!!".

I am not sure what species of parrot you had before, but keep in mind that African Greys are unique. This will be a completely new adventure. I got a baby grey, but still had to readjust my expectations to "grey time". At 9 days she and I were not any more bonded than you are with Alex, an adult rehome. By 3 months things were much better, and by 6 months we became best buddies. Our bond grows deeper to this day. You and Alex will have a wonderful relationship. Have faith brother. It will happen. The best things in life are worth waiting for.

Welcome to the forum. Alex is doing well for being in a new home for just days. For him to take food from your hand and not reject it with a toss is a good sign. As you talk to him and build trust you will learn more about his body language. In the video, his chirps don't sound at all distressed. Greys make a growl and there is no doubt about it when they are upset and afraid. He doesn't seem afraid of you at all. It is hard to tell about the wing position in the video. It could be a preparation to take flight but he doesn't appear trying to escape from you. I am guessing the cage and setup are new to him as well. While you are building trust, you will learn what he likes and how best to communicate with him. I would recommend announcing yourself as you enter the room and tell him where you are going when you leave so he can learn to predict what you are doing. He is a beautiful boy and looks great for being in your home a short time. Congratulations on your new companion, you will learn more from him in the coming decades of your relationship. Take your time, don't push him too hard to accept you. It looks like you are doing great. Keep up the good work.

Thank you guys for all your help, Gilberts thread helping me so much.

Latest update is that Alex is now stepping out of his cage. Funny was yesterday while he was out, I brought my food and sat on sofa in front of him to eat. After few minutes, I saw him trying to lean forward towards me, and tried to see what I was eating. I had spaghetti, so I offered him small piece and move towards him. He grabbed it from me and liked so much. That was a cool experience.

I think that is a good improvement because even out of his cage he doesn't go away from me anymore.

First few times he got out of cage, he used to ran back in to his cage even if I tried to move on the sofa. But now he eats from my hand and I tried to change his water bowl while he was on his cage and he just looked at me and continue to play on top of his cage.

Here the video recorded first time he came on top of his cage:

So happy that things are going so well for you. It sounds like Alex i settling in really well... and that's all on you. Well done for taking him in and adapting to life with him. They are awesome birds and I'm sure you'll have many more awesome/amazing experiences with him in your life!

Guys thank you so much for your help. Alex is improving in his personality. He answers my good morning and he doesn't like me to go to sleep, so he keeps saying good morning when I say good night lol. He is enjoying his time, out of his cage more but still staying on top of his cage only and not showing any sign of allowing me to touch his feathers. Anyway he hold his beak out of the cage and I slowly start touching his beak and he stays there and looks in to my eyes and allow me to to clean his beak. Is that ok to touch his beak? He doesn't show any sign that he wants to bite.

My biggest concern now is, he used to chew his tail and that is the main reason his last owner wanted new home for him. Right now he is plucking his feather more and I am worry and want to help him. He loves to chew paper and I give him so much but still he is plucking his feather. Is that normal because he is new in my house? Do I need to do something? How can I help him to stop it? Do I need to bring him to a vet?

Thank you every one for your help.

It is fine to touch his beak. I do that every time I pass Timber (unless he's in a mood). As to the plucking, I hadn't had that problem, but I would say the first thing to do is have a vet check to make sure the plucking does not have a physical cause.

It is fine to touch his beak. I do that every time I pass Timber (unless he's in a mood). As to the plucking, I hadn't had that problem, but I would say the first thing to do is have a vet check to make sure the plucking does not have a physical cause.

How should I bring him to Vet? is that ok I use towel to catch him and put him in a small cage? You know our relationship is not that close that he comes on my hand or trust me enough to do it by himself.

When it comes to vet visits, you do what you have to do. I took Timber to the vet the day after I brought him home. Yes, we used a towel and a small cage. I waited until he was outside the cage, closed the doors so he couldn't get back in, then used the towel. Not one of my finer moments, but you do what you have to do to protect their health.