NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Getting ready for Zoe... :-) A question?

TXWildflower

So finally we get Zoe on Saturday morning!!! YAY!!! YES we are beyond excited. For those who don't know, Zoe is our African Grey Timneh who was born February 6, 2015. We are finally able to bring her home! We are down to the last things of getting her area ready.

So my question is this... I bought her this really pretty fuzzy Purple tent. After I bought it we found out that it causes nesting behaviors in females if put in their cages. Bummer. OK, but can we put it in her play area? Or was this a total waste of money?

Another question, are Clorox wipes OK to use in Zoe's area? I would think they are, since they don't leave a lasting strong odor, but we thought it would be better to ask.

Thanks!

Terry Lynne

I don't think you have anything to worry about with the tent. She's too young and will be for a while. Out of three birds, only one of ours took to having a tent. The other two tents were a waste as I could never get the two birds to use them. Greycie wanted to perch on the side of her food dish of all things. I saw she was getting a small spot on both her feet so I removed those and forced her onto something that looked more comfy - at least it didn't make my feet hurt just thinking about her sitting on it all night.

No idea on the clorox wipes?!?

Congratulations! We are all soooo excited for you guys.... You have been patiently waiting for this day. The cute fuzzy tent is not a big deal when dealing with a baby. As far as chlorox wipes, that is a BIG no. White vinegar as some have suggested. I also like to take the cages out and wash with dawn liquid detergent in the nice weather and power wash! Sophie isn't " cage possessive", but she doesn't like me taking them outside. She watches me closely thru the sliding glass door. Nancy

Thanks y'all! And wow the thought of Greycie perching on her food bowl to sleep makes my feet hurt!

Good, I like the purple tent. ;) I'm glad she will be able to use it for a bit at least! My Gma always cleaned with white vinegar, so it will be like going home.

We get Zoe at 9:30. We are beyond excited - like two kids at Christmastime! :D we are so looking forward to this journey with her.

I am going to have to look up 'Seventh Generation Multi Cleaner'. I hear that I can no longer use Pine Sol either?

I have totally been enjoying Zoe. She is an absolute sweetheart! She hangs on me and lets me scratch her head while she hangs. She doesn't make any noise except what I think is her attempts to find her voice. Sad for my husband as so far I am her favorite, she fluffs out and makes noises when I come into the room! I hear it is because they like woman's voices better. All I know is I am really enjoying this. She is perfect.

I can't say enough about the breeders we got her from. (Lea and Bob from Five Oaks Aviary) She was definitely ready to come to us when she did. They did an awesome job with her.

I am going to have to look up 'Seventh Generation Multi Cleaner'. I hear that I can no longer use Pine Sol either?

I have totally been enjoying Zoe. She is an absolute sweetheart! She hangs on me and lets me scratch her head while she hangs. She doesn't make any noise except what I think is her attempts to find her voice. Sad for my husband as so far I am her favorite, she fluffs out and makes noises when I come into the room! I hear it is because they like woman's voices better. All I know is I am really enjoying this. She is perfect.

I can't say enough about the breeders we got her from. (Lea and Bob from Five Oaks Aviary) She was definitely ready to come to us when she did. They did an awesome job with her.

So glad you're having so much fun with her! Greys really are special. :)

I haven't heard that they typically like women's voices better. Alfie goes against the grain on that one. He picks up, listens to and mimics male voices more often than he does female ones! To be fair, he seems to go against the grain on a fair few grey characteristics at times haha!