NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

They know more than we think they do

BaileysPapa

My Bailey is always surprising me with what he seems to understand. I have a Lovebird & a Cockatiel that are not a bonded pair, but as close as the 'tiel will allow it to get. Yesterday, they are both climbing on me and playing around. Now, Elvis, the Lovebird is always going onto things that he shouldn't (like picture frames, the wall clock, other birds' cages, etc.). We yell "OFF!" to him. Sometimes he'll get off, but usually it takes a few yells before he goes. Well, Bailey has noticed when we do this, and has joined in. So, the two of them are on me, in my chair, which is next to the front of Bailey's cage. He comes over to the front of his cage, and yells, "OFF!", "OFF!". So, I look over at him, and say "It's okay, Bailey." He's silent for a second, and then says, "I Love You!" in this sort of pleading voice. Tell me he doesn't know how to hit me in the heart, or that he didn't know what he was saying.

Edited by BaileysPapa

Not only does Bailey know, he knows that you know that he knows. And as complex as they are, he could decipher that and go in a bigger circle of knowing. I think that is why we love our greys so much, they are complex and individual and brilliant.

Haha that's pretty cool.

Alfie is forever telling the cats off for me.

I quite often hear "No!" or "Off!" or "Oi!" coming from Alfie (in my voice) when the cats are up to no good!

When we had a dog he used to tell him to sit, stay, go outside and come in.