NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New baby coming soon!

reptoman

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How sure on her feet is she? If she's still a bit clumsy, the only thing I'd recommend is lowering the big perch in her cage and putting some old towels at the bottom of it to pad it out. She may not be used to climbing around a cage so may have a couple of falls. Nothing to worry about, but the landing will be softer if on a towel rather than bars.

You may also over time want to add a few more toys in her cage so she's got more to play with (unless she's going to be out for most of the time except for sleeping). Plus get some spare toys so you can switch them out when they get battered and worn.

I'm so excited for you!

When she is old enough to be on all those perches, you might want to make sure none of them sit above the other. If one perch is above another perch, I can guarantee that she will "drop a bomb" right on to the one below! Keeping them from being "stacked" helps you out with cleanup. ;)

I agree with the towels to pad the bottom of the cage. At least until you see how clumsy she is as a baby. Just means some increased laundry for a little while. I see what you're trying to do with the curtain but if the cage is in a room that is going to be lit up after baby goes to bed you're going to have to cover it more completely than you have. Those curious (Let's face it - nosy) little black eyes aren't going to want to go to bed if the lights are still on & everyone else is still up!!!! If others have already said this elsewhere I'm sorry, but a big thing you're missing is a big noisy bell to play with. Seems to be a pretty much universal grey obsession. They all seem to love a big noisy bell to play with. Like these ones. http://parrotdiseperch.com/east/powder-coated-bell-medium The carrier looks good. I'm so excited for you and to see pictures of the homecoming. (Like the subtle hint I threw in there? lol)

From what I hear from Lea in recent weeks, she is already used to climbing the bars and perches in a cage so I think she may be pretty steady on her feet already. I will put a towel on the bottom when we get her home this morning just in case. I have a loud stainless steel bell that I got on amazon that I will hang in the middle of her cage.

The black shower curtain is big enough to cover the entire cage. The room lights are on a timer so bedtime will be fairly consistent every night. Thanks so much for the suggestions. We are only a couple hours away now!

Its been a long wait but Zoe is finally home and in her cage! She is so sweet and could not be a more beautiful Timneh Grey. She loves head and beak scratches and took to my wife right away. She got pooped on a few minutes after meeting Zoe which made her feel special I'm sure ;)

zoehome_052315_3 (1024x683) (2).jpg

firstpoop_052315 (768x1024) (2).jpg

Zoe_terry_052315_2 (768x1024).jpg

zoehome_052315_1 (1024x683).jpg

zoehome_052315_2 (1024x683).jpg

I cant stay away from her cage. We are both in awe of her! She comes to the front of the cage and steps up right away if we offer our hand. I can't say enough good things about Lea and Bob at 5oaksaviary. They have produced a baby that is well rounded and able to be easily handled and loves cuddling on the first day. She is getting more bold this morning but we still barely hear anything out of her. She does little chirps and vocalizations when we are handling her but is otherwise completely quiet in the cage just munching on her pellets and climbing around. I will post updates as we begin training. Thanks to all for following along on our journey!

Welcome to cousin Zoe! If I wasn't spending most of my time underneath vehicles I'd have to come see her.

Whenever you guys have time you are welcome! We will have to plan a day next weekend to have you out for lunch or something.

OMG I love the pics!!!!! Those baby grey eyes!!!! Just adorable!

You have been given LOADS of advice and all of it AWESOME! I have one piece of advice that I haven't seen posted yet ... make sure Zoe has SOME alone time. I'm not sure if you and your wife work or not, but you don't want her to get so attached to you that she freaks out if no one is around. This is especially critical when you first bring them home (just like a puppy!) Everyone spends every minute with the "baby" and then after a couple of days / weeks life sets back in and suddenly those 12 hours a day you were spending with the baby are down to 5 or 6 (A much more realistic time frame!)

Have so much fun with Zoe ... the learning experiences she will go through as she explores her surroundings and you and your wife are unbeatable!!!!!

I thought the same thing, Echo's mom, so we have been letting her get some time in between the out of cage time with both of us sitting in chairs in her room. She already flies back and forth between us and to a perch in between. I do have one question about bathing. How long should we wait to introduce a bath for her? I want to try and get her to like the shower for this but dont want to push it and do too much too soon.