NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New baby coming soon!

reptoman

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget to child proof home. Electrical plugs, safety locks on kitchen cabinets... go thru each room and really look closely! We've been in " lock down for 15 years"... LOL! No big deal... that just makes me a " safety expert", for any two year old! Any plants? GONE! Any gemstones in moms ears? GONE!( Sophie is gemstone fascinated, and she can steal any earring without u knowing!) LOL. We all make sacrifices, but sooo worth it! SAFETY, is very important, and each room bird will be in, needs to be child proofed. Nancy

I don't recall if you are keeping baby flighted but with us, our biggest hurdle to overcome was getting ourselves conditioned to going in and out of the doors. If I had to do it over again, I'd put a stuffed animal on my shoulder and condition myself not to go out the door with it on my shoulder. It took us MONTHS to stop making door mistakes. Other than that it took about 2 years to finally come up with a system that works around here to keep our sanity and keep them happy.

We are keeping her flighted. That is my biggest concern too. I will have to figure out how to keep her from flying out into the living room but plan to work on recall training to limit that. it will be a challenge but that's one of the reasons we are getting her. I am sure I will be calling you for help more than once when this all gets started ;)

OH WOW, I missed this thread completely, so glad I caught it this morning!!!

You have an awesome breeder! Mine did the same for me with Echo. I got weekly (sometimes random ones throughout the day too!) updates about her. And little blurbs in the email about what Echo was doing when she took the pic, etc. It's so nice to watch them grow into those wings!

I've also kept Echo flighted, and in one of my homes the back door for me was a bit of a concern. I also had a dog, and that's the door the dog used to go in and out of the backyard. I didn't want to have to put Echo back in her cage every single time.

I bought beaded curtains and hung them in the door frame. Mine were VERY flamboyant and Echo did NOT like them AT ALL. They weren't beside her or anything, but she didn't like the pattern, so she never flew over there to check them out. For me, that solved my concern about Echo flying outside when I opened the door for the dog.

AND, even if Zoe likes the pattern, the beaded curtain LOOKS solid, so she wouldn't try and fly through a wall!

OH the joys of baby parrots!!! You are going to have so much fun! And you're going to be scared poopless!!!

I did tons of reading, research, met with other people who had parrots, etc. and I was as prepared as prepared could be ... and stuff still happens! Don't panic, just breathe and move on!!!! The less you panic, the more calm Zoe will be.

OH WOW' date=' I missed this thread completely, so glad I caught it this morning!!!

You have an awesome breeder! Mine did the same for me with Echo. I got weekly (sometimes random ones throughout the day too!) updates about her. And little blurbs in the email about what Echo was doing when she took the pic, etc. It's so nice to watch them grow into those wings!

I've also kept Echo flighted, and in one of my homes the back door for me was a bit of a concern. I also had a dog, and that's the door the dog used to go in and out of the backyard. I didn't want to have to put Echo back in her cage every single time.

I bought beaded curtains and hung them in the door frame. Mine were VERY flamboyant and Echo did NOT like them AT ALL. They weren't beside her or anything, but she didn't like the pattern, so she never flew over there to check them out. For me, that solved my concern about Echo flying outside when I opened the door for the dog.

AND, even if Zoe likes the pattern, the beaded curtain LOOKS solid, so she wouldn't try and fly through a wall!

OH the joys of baby parrots!!! You are going to have so much fun! And you're going to be scared poopless!!!

I did tons of reading, research, met with other people who had parrots, etc. and I was as prepared as prepared could be ... and stuff still happens! Don't panic, just breathe and move on!!!! The less you panic, the more calm Zoe will be.[/quote']

That is an awesome idea! I never would have thought of that. I will need to find a couple of beaded curtains and hang them up.Thanks!

BTW your Timneh looks incredible!

AWESOME! Especially last picture.Find a buddy willing to " receive". Your baby needs to practice flight. One to send off, one to receive. I also suggest putting " decals", in windows, as they don't have the greatest perception of space. They tend to fly into windows, not understanding their space ended. Nancy