NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Tree branch question

BlackOpal

My SO and I want to make a perch out of a natural tree branch and have found a tree near our home that has a nice big branch that is already falling off. Problem is we don't know what kind of tree it is; there is no telling since it has no leaves or anything of the sort on it. It's just a bare tree. Is there any sort of precaution we should take before we place it in the cage? I read about someone baking the branch beforehand - would that help at all?

I'm a soon to be first time Grey owner so while I have your attention I had another question. I know fruit seeds and pits are toxic to Greys, what about kiwis and other fruits or veggies that have tiny seeds in them? Are they safe? Thanks in advance!

Taka a picture of the tree and post it in the tree forum of gardenweb. Someone will know what it is. Then you can determine from there if it is safe. I would not stick something in the cage without knowing what it is. There are a lot of unsafe woods and Greys chew so they will ingest.

Kiwis are safe and most veggies. There are lists all over the interwebz of safe/unsafe (foods,woods,etc). Get very familiar with those now before you get the bird. I have seen on more than one occasion where someone killed their birds with avocado and didn't know. With all the information freely and readily available it's almost inexcusable anymore.

Thanks for your response, I will upload a picture later on today. I know about the toxic foods (I have made a list and stuck it on my fridge!) I just wanted to make sure kiwi, strawberry, cucumbers and other things that have tiny seeds in them were safe, just in case. Thanks!

It's pits that contain a cyanide precursor - stone fruits like cherries, peaches, apricots, plums, etc. and fruits with 'pips' - apples, pears, etc. that you have to watch out for. Most seeds like cantaloupe, cucumber, kiwi, etc. are good for birds. Jack used to literally eat ONLY the seeds off the outside of each strawberry. He didn't like the berry but loved the little seeds.

It's pits that contain a cyanide precursor - stone fruits like cherries, peaches, apricots, plums, etc. and fruits with 'pips' - apples, pears, etc. that you have to watch out for. Most seeds like cantaloupe, cucumber, kiwi, etc. are good for birds. Jack used to literally eat ONLY the seeds off the outside of each strawberry. He didn't like the berry but loved the little seeds.

Muse said what I was going to say, but I will add that if you weren't already aware, you want to be buying organic fruits and veggies to make sure there aren't any pesticides on them. Especially on strawberries. I'm patiently waiting for my new flock member as well! Good luck on our new adventures (:

Dave