NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Goodbye, Jack, my love

Muse

As some here may know, Jack was a mitred conure. He came here with obvious issues. He walked with an extreme limp, he was blind in one eye, and his posture was contorted. On his first vet visit, Dr. Leonatti explained that his problems were the result of violent injury. Someone had hit him or thrown him against something hard enough to rupture his eye and shatter his leg. There were probably more long-healed injuries we were unable to see that affected his posture. Despite all this abuse and likely being in pain, Jack was the sweetest bird. He was almost completely blind.

Jack.jpg

His ruptured eye had become infected back in August. We had him treated, and at that time Dr. Johnson explained that the eye was like a chronic wound - it was never going to "heal" and mentioned the possibility of removing the ruptured 'sac' that was formerly his right eyeball. Being a nurse, I knew this could mean chronic infections, and infections very close to and connected to the brain. The eye showed signs of discharge about two months ago and I treated it by lavage with sterile normal saline. It seemed to improve, but a few days ago, it appeared "gunky" (purulent). We decided to go forth with the surgery in hopes of stopping these infections. His surgery was scheduled for 9AM yesterday (12/30/2014).

Unfortunately, Jack's heart wasn't up to the surgery. Just as they were bringing him out of anesthesia, his heart stopped.

I am devastated. As hard as I try to be the "good mom" here and not play favorites, Jack was different. He was my "shoulder bird" - something I'd not had since Mar died. We bonded hard and I am once again left with a huge gaping hole in my heart.

Goodbye my dear boy. At least now you can fly and see again, and you will never be in pain again.

Because of you, Jack got to live the end of his days in a safe place where he was truly loved & got everything possible to keep him as happy as as he could be. I'm sorry it hurts so much. I wish I could say it will get better eventually. For some, it will never stop hurting to lose each & every baby. But isn't that a small price to give back to a critter who's previously lived such a sad existence?

Edited by birdhouse

Having taken in many injured birds, I understand how special they become. Know that you made his life better and longer than it would have been. In nature, he'd have been lunch for something a long time ago. It hurts when they go, but, their suffering is now over. You were a good Mom.

Because of you, Jack got to live the end of his days in a safe place where he was truly loved & got everything possible to keep him as happy as as he could be. I'm sorry it hurts so much. I wish I could say it will get better eventually. For some, it will never stop hurting to lose each & every baby. But isn't that a small price to give back to a critter who's previously lived such a sad existence?

Very much so. I know he's better off. He's not in pain, nor blind, nor crippled any more. But the hole that is left in my heart is aching. He was a very special little guy.

Edited by Muse

Thanks to all for the kind words. I have cried many tears. In 11 days, it will be one year since I lost Marden. I still cry over him. He was my baby, my son, my cuddle-bird, the one who lived on my shoulder. Then came Jack. He was sweet and loved kisses and just wanted to hang on my shoulder. In many ways, he eased the pain of missing Mar with his love. 2014 sure was a rough year. I hope 2015 goes better. I appreciate the kindness and support of all the wonderful folks here. It really means a lot and helps more than you will ever know.

The little sick ones that need you the most always become the most loved and the absolute hardest to lose. That's the way it works here. We still miss our baby Raven. My wife can't stop talking about her. Jack's little stance in the photo looks so much like the way she used to perch. Bless their sweet little souls.

I'm so sorry for the pain of your loss and the void in you life as you miss Jack and Marden. The depth of your feelings is equal to the fullness of joy brought by their companionship. Letting go is not something we master but something we valiantly struggle to understand and give honor and appreciation for the space they filled in our hearts and homes.

I'm so sorry for your loss of Jack, they sure can wiggle their way inside our hearts in a short amount of time but at least those days were good ones and he never has to suffer again, I know it stirs old hurts from when Marden died but they both fly free now, gone but never forgotten.

Im so glad he was well loved with you. No birdie diserves to be mistreated and I cant figure why would someone hurt a bird. I mean if you dont want him, give him away, but to injur him... Im really sad you llost Jack, but very thankful he had a loving companion and lived happily with you. Bless you for your big heart.

• 1 month later...