NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Psychological Problem

Nitzey

For two nights in a row, Caesar plucked out feathers from his legs, first one leg, then the other. The vet ruled out illness and pronounced the problem psychological. I am leaving out details, but Caesar needs more toys, things to shred and he needs the challenge of foraging. By the way, we also moved his home into a quiet room when he goes to bed instead of the living area where humans continue to watch TV. Yesterday we made some crude toys with braided fabrics. Last night was good; no new feather plucking. Today I bought $50 worth of toys; they were actually dog toys made out of rope. These were only three toys and so expensive. I hope these toys work although the first, a Halloween like rope figure, frightened him. I also hid a peanut in a wrap of waxed paper, which eventually he solved.

So, we are trying hard to come up with new ideas to solve this psychological problem.

Also, you can give him common things that we don't think of as "toys". Things you already have that he can chew, shred, and toss around. Like paper cups, paper plates, plastic drinking straws, balled up paper, cardboard, and so much more. Hide treats inside some of them for foraging. Also, the dollar stores have safe simple toys for children, and things for dogs & cats, like rope pull toys, cat balls, etc. Once you start thinking about your fids toys, you'll see possibilities everywhere!

• Haha 1

Thanks for the useful replies. Will definitely follow up.

But bad news. Two nights ago Caesar not only plucked feathers but drew blood. This was very scary. Last night just a few feathers but still a few feathers too many.

So, in the past five days there was only one good night. On that day he visited the vet and went fishing in the Gulf of Mexico. Maybe this guy needs a very active life; at least at this time.

The past couple of nights have been good, but we had panicked and had given him a tranquilizer. This tranquilizer had been suggested by the vet as a back-up. So, we do not know if the progress has been due to more attention, more toys, etc. or the tranquilizer. Clearly, we cannot keep him on the tranquilizer for long and so we will see what happens when we wean him of it.

I would never give a tranquilizer to a bird for plucking...just my feelings. My vet once told me a story of a bird who started plucking out of the blue and there was No medical reasons or changes in his lifestyle. the owner started to take his bird out for a car ride every day as advised by his vet for a changed of scenery....the bird stopped plucking, so every day it became a routine that he went for a car ride with his owner. Just a thought you might try.

I know my tag loves car rides!!

It's not unusual for a grey to draw blood when plucking because there's areas that will bleed easily. Usually, the bleeding stops and there's a bloody clot area that can be seen where the plucking happened. You should take a paper towel or rag, wet it with warm water, gently wipe off the clot. Then take some skin cream and put a bit on the wound. As far as tranquilizers, that won't help because if a bird is intent on plucking, it will no matter what drugs you give. Your vet should have known this and told you.