NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Just took the plunge!

Greytness

Well, I did it! I just put a deposit down on a 3.5 month old Miligold Macaw! My husband and I both immediately fell in love with him, and we can't wait to bring him home! Hopefully he'll wean himself soon.

Now my fid family is complete! Next project: building an aviary for my birds to enjoy, just like the one that Sterling built.

I'll take pictures of him during my next visit. I'm SO excited!

@SterlingSL, well that's a grey for you! Always striving to be king/queen of the castle! I'll probably have lots of questions as I go through building the aviary, which will probably be after the first of the year. My husband and I are both not handy people, so this ought to be an interesting project for us to tackle.

That makes 9 fids, and DONE! And no, we haven't come up with a name yet.

Wow - 9, that's crazy. I barely get enough time to spend with my Caique because GreycieMae loves to hog my time.

I have a second Costco carport frame sitting in my garage. Wife wants me to put it together and join them. The first one required A LOT of trying to figure out how to do this and that. Now that I've done one, the second ought to take about 1/3 the time.

Your problem is now going to be the wire gauge you will have to deal with. I could have gotten away with 16 gauge wire, although we used 14 gauge. 14 gauge is nearly impossible for one person to handle. Now that you'll have a macaw, you may have to use 12 or even 10 gauge. I can't imagine that.

Edited by SterlingSL

Oh what a precious little one you are adding to your flock. My heart went pitter patter looking at that baby picture. Have mercy that is a beautiful macaw. I am just guessing, but is a Miligold a hybrid of the Military Macaw and a Blue and Gold? The first parrot I ever saw was a blue and gold macaw named Yoda. I visited him twice a week and brought him bananas, my first love, before I was married. I knew I wasn't ready for that kind of commitment but it was a wonderful introduction. I too am looking forward to your life with this little gem.

katana600, you are absolutely correct. He's a Military/Blue & Gold hybrid. Both are known for their more laid back personalities. The red military crest never comes through for this particular hybrid.

We visit him 3 times a week. I already feel that he knows us!