NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

greys and kids

ccilia5767

well not sure if this is the right place to post this one.

Do these birds know the difference between adults and children?

My daughter loves this bird (she thinks he is hers lol)

Yesterday, I was wondering why my daughter was so quiet, why Churchill was so quiet so I went to look. She was standing insede the cage, Churchill outside by the window aand she was feeding him some seeds. Alicia (my daughter) goes to get him a piece of fruit offers it to him and he comes running. (of course I am watching over the two of them)

She wants to help clean the cage, prepare his food etc.

He won't fly to her, he doesnt try to pek her he lets her pet him.

My question now is. Can he distinguish between kids and adults because he interacts differently with her than with me or my husband.

How Alcazar's life style is I'm positive he knows the difference. When he's around my daycare kids I noticed he's more watchful of his cage area.Doesnt want to come out. When we have adult friend's come and visits us he's more calm and wanting to come out. My 10 year old niece came over this weekend and again reluctant too come out. This is my view on it.

oh and he did bite a daycare kids finger and the kids know not to go near him now. I still try though to bring him out and I do let them pet his back when his face is towards me. I also have the older daycare child place the bowls in the cage.Our cage though has the doors that open though

Oh I am sure they know the difference, they are so smart and Churchill has taken a liking to your daughter it seems. A lot of greys do avoid children because they are loud and quick moving, things they don't like much but I would just keep on eye on things when your daughter is around him, but it seems like he is very fond of her.

lol

I kind of have the feeling that the two think alike.

She is almost 3, araund the age age a parrot is being compared with when compared to children. I read two opinions: one said greys are like 5 year olds and the other said that they are like 2 year olds.

She opens cabinets and they both look whats in it and he will give her things that she can't reach. It is too funny to watch, which of course I do from a distance.

Unfortunately, whenever I try to make a video when they are together, she will send me away and he tries to get the camera.

Mine don't care for little uprights. Too quick and noisey for them i think. I have grandchildren aged 14 down to 2 and they don't like any of em. They don't bite them, well Jiggy doesn't anyway and I don't trust Quinn so I do not let them near him. They are ok to step up for the older ones if they fall off the climber and need a hand though, but not for general socializing.

Nikko hasn't been around children much. When my niece (5) and nephew (10) visited, I told them to leave her alone. My niece gave Nikko's playgym a wide berth whenever she walked by, but my nephew was drawn to her. I don't know how many times I told him, "Don't do that," when he would do things like grab her gym and shake it or poke at her with something. When he poked at Nikko with one of her toys, she didn't bite or lunge, but she did give him one heck of a dirty look :laugh:.

While I think Nikko was more quiet than normal while the kids were here, I think she kind of liked the extra activity around the house. She always seems game for visitors.

Dayo (6 mo old) seems to know they are children. I have Grand-kids from 13 down to 4.

Dayo was introduced to all of them the 2nd day he came home at 16 weeks old. Since then over the last 2 months, he wolf whistles at the 13 yr old grand-daughter and readily steps up to greet her with excitement.

The boys, ranging from 12 to 6 are cautious around Dayo and approach slowly, speaking gently to him and he will readily accept a step-up from any of them.

The 4 year old though is a completely different story. He is like a buzz saw running everywhere at the speed of light. Dayo seems nervous of him and watches him like a Hawk, when he comes in the the room hopping, running with arms flailing about, as most at that age do. Dayo will warn him if he quickly pushes a hand towards him, by simply leaning forward with beak open. :-). He does not ruffle his feathers, but seems to know that the 4 year old will remove his hand quickly when Dayo makes that open beak, leaning forward gesture. Dayo seems to subscribe to the "Subdue with leaest amount of force neccessary" rule.

So my summation is, Dayo knows they are children and I believe, knows that the 4 year old is an annoying infant, that he deals with in the least amount of shock and awe. Dayo did scream at him once when he showed up with his short hair spiked straight up and running towards him ....it stopped that little guy right in his tracks. :-)

I believe, from seeing my Dogs, all the stories I have read and documentaries I have seen of animals with children and especially infants. That they KNOW they are young children or babies, and will try to feed them and guard them with their very lives ,if no humans are in close proximity to protect or feed them them.

Kind of like we just KNOW when an animal or bird is an infant for child... :-)

Guest briansmum

i think they can tell the difference in that they recognise children as being smaller. my toddler neice comes once in a while and brian seems to get very still and quiet around her. we let her get close to the cage (not close enough for poking fingers) and he will come and look at her. i havent had him out when she has been round because her mum is scared of him and has made it clear she doesnt want her baby near the bird :pinch:

its all well and good them getting on for now, but that may change and may change very quickly as it did in my house hold. my grey and my 3 year old was best friend for a while but for some unknown reason now he hates her and shes distraught, she doesnt understand why he would want to bite her the way he did (nearly took her finger off)i dont let them mix any more and would be very weary of your situation too just be very carefull please for your childs sake hopefully yours wont come to this but always be on your guard and never leave them alone together .good luck

Guest briansmum

i would introduce the bird to your children as something lovely to look at and talk to but not something to be prodded and poked. and in return your grey won't prod and poke them either.

I've never heard of a Grey liking only kids or only adults before. I think it's more of a personality issue. They appear to be just like people because they select who they like and who they don't like. Maybe your Grey just really likes your daughter.

I have a 9 y/o daughter and 6 y/o son. The kids have been taught as much as I can about reading the birds' "moods", as well as their own energy levels and what's going on in the house at the time. Most of the success with kids/birds is going to come (in my opinion) from training the 'kids' more than the 'fids'. My kids know to never force the birds to step up or do anything. If they don't step up the first time, the kids just slowly lower their hand and walk away. (yes, I know that is reinforcing to the birds that they don't have to step up on the kids if they don't want to and the kids will go away, but that's fine with me.)

The best part is when I hear the kids teaching their friends about the birdie body language, etc.

Also, the kids never handle the birds when my husband or I aren't right there with them just in case.

Lisa

Hopefully that is the case..or not become large bird owners at all unless they do a lot of research first. My daughter had to do her first speech at school last year and chose for her topic "Parrots are Great Pets...but Not for Everyone!". She talked about the great stuff but really emphasized the cost, mess, noice and TIME involved. It was really great and a very proud moment for me. A few weeks ago she asked how old she has to be to volunteer at our local bird rescue (MAARS). The apple doesn't fall far from this tree, that's for sure!

She loves to have people over who think it would be "so cool" to have a parrot...and experience a little reality along with the coolness (just the mess and noise seem to do it). We all get so sad at the sheer numbers of parrots needing new homes all the time.

Okay, enough proud mom bragging talk...sorry! :-)