NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Any 'Outlander' fans here?

Acappella

Is anyone here watching the 'Outlander' TV show based on Diana Gabaldon's books? It's on Starz in the States and Showcase here in Canada. If so, don't post any spoilers, we're a couple of episodes behind. We've only had the first episode, which I totally loved.

• Like 1

Love the books but do not have access to the shows as we choose not to pay for cable TV, Diana Gabaldon is a wonderful writer really brings those characters to life. The colors, sounds and actions bring out the readers emotions. I am certain the flock would pick up some brogue.

I've read 5 of her Outlander books, although the first 3 were my favorites.. After the first three I felt that they got bogged down with too much repetitive detail for me.

I can't imagine reading all her thick books twice! Haven't seen any of this series yet.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

This is old, but we're in Season 2 ... and I adore them! I've read the books twice myself, and am in love with the series ... they have picked awesome actors !!!!

You can definitely tell that Diana is on hand to make sure it follows the story line!

• Haha 1

I'm really enjoying the series. They're staying true to the books for the most part and the places where they are diverging aren't annoying me. I'm also listening to the podcasts that Ron D. Moore is doing for each episode. They give some good insights on why he makes the decisions to stray from the books when he does. I am worried that they're all going to have a drinking problem by the end of the show though, as there is a lot of whiskey drinking going on! lol

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

Count me in as another fan of the books and the series. I was worried that the series would not be able to do the books justice, but have been pleased with the casting as well as production. Over the years I have read up through Snow and Ashes and agree with Greytness that after the first three or so they started, for me, to become more formulaic. But still enjoyed as DG's writing is so vivid. The first three will always be my favorites. DG is such a talented writer and at her best has that magical ability to transport us all back in time.

Greywings, you may be able to find the first series on Netflix. I haven't looked but if you use Netflix it would definitely be worth checking out.

I need to catch up on the 2 most recent episodes and they are on my agenda for today!

PS. I also love the History Channel's Viking series. :)

Edited by Inara
  • Like 1

PS. I also love the History Channel's Viking series. :)

I've heard really good things about Vikings. I wish I'd watched it from the beginning. Outlander is the only show that I am watching right now, aside from General Hospital, which I've watched for decades. The episode last night, "Faith", was my favourite one since the wedding. Cait is proving herself to be an incredible actress and she really carried the show. I didn't out and out cry, but I definitely teared up a couple of times.

I think I'm a fan. I'm not sure. I tripped over the TV series w/no prior knowledge of the books. It was a lit-tle bloody. I liked it enough to keep watching & buy the first 2 books though. But before I could read them, Jamie's rape episode aired & it bothered me enough to keep me from watching this season, originally. I don't do certain types of violence at all well.

But I did give it another try & so far I'm glad. I do think the story & the acting are good. I thought the last episode was sad but really well done. I did see it coming though. The timing just seemed wrong for her to get back during that pregnancy.

I've enjoyed season two so far, and I'm really looking forward to them heading back to Scotland, even though I'll miss the eye candy of the magnificent costumes. Cait's performance was amazing during the "Faith" episode. Apparently they'd originally planned for more voice overs, but decided they didn't need them because her acting was so good. As for it being a little bloody and graphic, there's no doubt that Diana likes to put her characters through hell over and over again, and it can be hard to watch at times, but it makes her characters deep and three dimensional. IMHO

See Vikings for example, must use a tanker of blood per episode. But it's mostly slashing & hacking that doesn't get to me the same way.

Outlander's violence is very deliberately intimate, twisted, disturbing. It does give it more realism. Too much for me, I'm afraid. I'm afraid there will be another big moment this season & that will be it for me. I'm just a light weight. :o

• 1 year later...
Hubby won't watch due to the way women are treated, yay him!
That's sweet, but he has to realize that it's historically accurate. I know someone who stopped watching when Claire was pregnant and still drinking wine and whisky, but they didn't know back then that that was a no no. I register it and then move on. I'm really looking forward to this upcoming season. They're expanding the time Claire is in the 20th century with Frank, which gets cursory coverage in the books, and I'm looking forward to Jamie and the cave. I've seen a preview of his appearance. All that facial hair must be uncomfortable for Sam to wear. And then of course there's the big reunion in the printshop to look forward to.

I think the fact that it is historically accurate just makes him feel worse. I enjoy the show almost as much as the books. Also guilty of binge watching Leverage, White Collar, Longmire, Royal Pains and Night Shift over the last two years.

Edited by Greywings

• 4 weeks later...