NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

GreycieMae's Aviary

SRSeedBurners

By the way, this is the 'Costco carport' which I detailed in the 'Costco Outdoor Aviary' thread.

Step 1: complete - Setup the structure in various places and see if we like the placement.

We bought two of these intending to set them end to end or side-by-side. They turned out to be a LOT larger than I anticipated sitting in our backyard. Although we live on two acres, the available spaces I have that I am comfortable with keeping my babies is limited, i.e. as close to the house as possible. We originally set it up next to the house inline with the covered back porch. We finally decided a pergola type aviary would be much better suited for that space. So we decided to knock down a corner of our immediate backyard fence and place it in the corner under a tree. We're pretty pleased with the location.

Step 2: complete - Bury the concrete footings, square and level

I assumed this would take a few hours. It took a whole damn day from 5:30am to around 6pm. I was beat. It's good that GreycieMae was available to sit in her supervisors quarters and assure that things are built to specs.

IMG_1080 (Medium).jpg

IMG_1081 (Medium).jpg

IMG_1082 (Medium).jpg

IMG_1083 (Medium).jpg

Edited by SterlingSL

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good but do remember to wire or cement under the cage to avoid dig ins or outs.

I'm planning to lay about a foot or two of wire on the ground surrounding the aviary just below the surface to keep any digger out. We're not too worried about the diggers as my dogs will be on patrol in the yard anytime my birds are out. They will kill anything foreign that dares set foot on the property. What I'm worried about is the hawks. Our dogs chase those too but of course can't fly.

If anyone has any ideas about what to plant inside the aviary, shoot me some ideas. We're trying to figure out whether to go with playground chips, grass or something else.

I'm planning to lay about a foot or two of wire on the ground surrounding the aviary just below the surface to keep any digger out. We're not too worried about the diggers as my dogs will be on patrol in the yard anytime my birds are out. They will kill anything foreign that dares set foot on the property. What I'm worried about is the hawks. Our dogs chase those too but of course can't fly.

If anyone has any ideas about what to plant inside the aviary, shoot me some ideas. We're trying to figure out whether to go with playground chips, grass or something else.

We are going with a bark-type mulch which is what Matt uses at Project Perry. He put down red wiggler worms, which live under the mulch and turns the mulch, I believe he said weekly, and the worms keep it very clean. You could always put two layers of wire cloth on the top, one over the supports and one under. If you get the wire mesh fine enough, a hawk can't reach through and if you have two layers, toes (and thus legs) won't be close to the outside for potential grabbing. I would recommend a safety cage.

Using 14 gauge galvanized-after-weld (GAW) in 1"x2" mesh. I found a little farm store near me that could special order the 6ft x100ft roll I was looking for. I searched for a long time trying to find the wire. I can find it everywhere in 24 and 36 and some places even have 48 but finding it in 72" height was pretty hard. Had I not found the 6ft, I was going with the 3ft rolls and just hog ring them together.

Update 9/1/2014 - Labor for my Feathered Brats Day.

Step 3: complete - Bring in dirt to level the base

We found a pile of dirt at a local school less than 1 mile from the house. Talked to the foreman and he said we could have as much as we want. Even offered to load it with his loader operator. Saved me a ton of effort and time as all I had to do was unload it and level it which was and ALL DAY affair - requiring a few evening pain meds as my back became strained after 10 hours of working the Texas clay. This crap is nothing but bubble gum.

Aviary Job foreman, GreycieMae, and her executive staff, Toby Toby and Rio Romeo. They're hoping this aviary project gets done post haste as they're tired of spending their out of doors time as seen here:

JobForemans.JPG

My sweet wife helping with the first load before the 100 degree temps set in:

Dirt_01.JPG

Load number 2:

Dirt_02.JPG

Once we got the 3rd load unloaded, I spent four hours shoveling and leveling. Pictures seem to lie as their is several tons of dirt here and over half the aviary required 1.5-2.5 feet of fill to get the level I was looking for. This was a TON of work. Aviary was taken down to allow for the truck to get in and unload.

Dirt_04.JPG

Dirt_03.JPG

Dirt_05.JPG

Using 14 gauge galvanized-after-weld (GAW) in 1"x2" mesh. I found a little farm store near me that could special order the 6ft x100ft roll I was looking for. I searched for a long time trying to find the wire. I can find it everywhere in 24 and 36 and some places even have 48 but finding it in 72" height was pretty hard. Had I not found the 6ft, I was going with the 3ft rolls and just hog ring them together.

I guess I will have to start asking around. I can't find it either. I've been looking online.

• 2 weeks later...

Update 9/24/2014 -

Step 4: complete - Wire the top and lift

Another all day effort. I'm regretting using 14 gauge wire. If I had a helper it would be ok but by myself, it's a nightmare to maneuver and hold, stretch, j-clip and finally strap it to the beams. GreycieMae would have done just fine in 16 gauge wire and I'm sure it weighs about half. The wire is so stiff, I have to use a rubber mallet to pound it around bends. What a pain-in-the-buttfeathers. The roll we bought weighs around 300lbs. My wife did help me insert the legs while I lifted each side. I was going to have to use ladders to hold it otherwise...so that sped things up.

Started to put the side wire on and realized my hose clamps are not big enough as the diameter of the legs are quite a bit bigger than the roof.

Also what you can't see: I planted some winter rye and watered it real good. That should be coming up soon and the dirt patch will turn greeeeeeeeeennnnnnnn. GreycieMae is getting excited to move into her mansion.

AviaryRoof_2.JPG

AviaryRoof_1.JPG

Although 16-gauge wire would probably have made your job easier and been more workable for a single laborer, isn't the thicker wire overall going to provide a safer aviary?

If you have to deal with predators then yes. In our case, our dogs will be out when the birds are out. Unless a bear gets in the back yard, we're good. My dogs will take care of anything smaller. Also our biggest bird is GreycieMae and she's not really a type that will try and break the wire. We are going to also have to use a bird netting to keep the dang hawks from sitting on top and trying to reach in and grab. That's out biggest problem.