NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Taking baby to work?

2birds

I have a question. I would like to take my baby to work with me once a week. I thought that it would be great for socializing her. The only thing is I can only bring her once a week. In your opinions, do you think that would be good for her or would she come to expect it and freak out on the days she can't come with me? I am gone 6 am until 4pm on Thurs. and Fri. Right now she can hear the other birds but can't see them and I also leave the radio on. Anyway, my thoughts were to bring her on Fridays for socialization.

I agree with you Nancy, I would never force a bird to go to someone they didn't want to. For the most part, we work outside so she would be hanging out in her travel carrier in the office. But, a lot of times we will have a lunch that last about two hours and we come in several times during the day so she can hang out with us and listen to everyone talk and if she wants to see people up close she can.

The only problem with taking her to work with me is God only knows what she may learn to say. Our conversations are pretty open and I work with a bunch of great characters.

Edited by 2birds

LOL! Just let your co-workers know, it is important to you for them to be on their best behavior, and keep their language clean. The rule in our house, was if you need to " curse", go in the garage and do it! Kids knew how serious I was about her not learning foul language.They had many a party here, but friends followed the rules. Sophie made many friends. No bad words. Nancy

My CAG Gracie went on many trips as a baby. I am a teacher and took her to school with me a couple of times until building security told me she wasn't allowed. She enjoyed it and wasn't fearful or uncomfortable. Early socialization is key. Just read her body language and respect her wishes, but if she is fine with it, I say go for it.

Well, Poet came with me Friday. It had it's pro and cons. She was in her travel cage on the car ride there and she climbed around a lot.

I work outside so she stayed in the office in her travel cage which is much smaller than her permanent home. I did come in and check on her several times and she was just hanging out although I'm sure she would have appreciated a little more space. She spent lunch with us (about two hours). She liked all of the guys and went to everyone without fear so that was great. She loved hanging out with one of my coworkers Dave. Good pick, he's a great guy and a good friend. She chewed his ear for a while and got head scratches. On the ride home I just let her out once I got on the road. She loved it. She hung out on the top of her cage and preened, stretched, played with her toys, chewed the buttons on my shirt, chewed my ear and sassed me when I told her to stop it.

For the most part it was a success and I will probably do it again.

A well socialized Grey that can travel. be around people and see new things with out fear can be a real joy to spend the rest of your life with.

Make sure that you protect them by keeping them safe from harm. Make sure they don`t escape into a hostel world.

Well, Poet came with me Friday. It had it's pro and cons. She was in her travel cage on the car ride there ................ On the ride home I just let her out once I got on the road. She loved it. She hung out on the top of her cage and preened, stretched, played with her toys, chewed the buttons on my shirt, chewed my ear and sassed me when I told her to stop it. For the most part it was a success and I will probably do it again.

Please do not let your parrot out of its travel cage while driving. Accidents can easily happen your fault or not and your parrot could easily be hurt or killed or be lost in the outside. The cage should be attached to a seatbelt also just for more safety.

Please do not let your parrot out of its travel cage while driving. Accidents can easily happen your fault or not and your parrot could easily be hurt or killed or be lost in the outside. The cage should be attached to a seatbelt also just for more safety.

I thought of that. I take the interstate to work because it's faster. Going home I take to the country roads, virtually no cars at all. I know it's no guarantee, but she was flippin' over that little cage for the day. Bottom line is I'll have to get a bigger cage for the office if she is going to go with me, that way the travel cage won't bother her so much. She was just in it for too long.

If you work outside... can you have a larger cage that she can be in outside and watch you work? I am so glad Poet liked your co-workers... especially Dave. Encourage the relationships! A socialized baby, will grow up to be a socialized adult! Friends, Family and co-workers, recognize and respect " what is important to you, is important to them." If Poet is your baby, most will try to become friends! Always respect people's fear of your bird. A grey knows immediately whom is afraid!

Myself and my children were too ignorant when we got Sophie, to be afraid of her. Boy were we clueless! ( I am happy we were!) Nancy

Bringing her outside would not be a great idea. Just too much going on. I work for the railroad and it's just too busy, too many people and too noisy out there. In our office it's just our crew usually four of us sometimes five.

One of the guys was a little afraid of her but he didn't want to admit to it. He asked me if he could hold her and put his arm out with his eyes clenched shut and she climbed up on his arm but had no desire to go up any further. I came and got her because she wasn't so sure of him. I would never force her on anyone that was truly afraid. Bad things could come out of that.

I am so glad she enjoyed it. Could you have a larger cage in your office? Not one you move back and forth, but one you leave there. Of course, not as large as the one at home, but a bit larger than a travel cage. Also, I always worry about interaction that goes on when I am not there. Can any one get in your office when you are not there? Can you be sure of how those people will treat her? I know-a worry wart!

My grey doesn't travel at all well, but I've taken my other birds. They seem to enjoy it & everyone seems to enjoy them. I have threatened slow & painful death to anybody who teaches them undesirable vocabulary & I have to say, no one's ever brought home any real surprises. I think my coworkers get a kick out of their visits & know they'll come to a screeching halt if they don't respect the few rules.

So yes, definitely, if you're fortunate enough to work in a pet friendly environment, I'd say go for it! It's great for everyone involved.

I used to take Josey on weekend trips when my son lived out of state but now that he has moved back to the area she hardly ever goes anywhere but I have taken her to work with me before, she travels well and plays inside her cage and chats, I haven't taken her with me to work in a while but when I get back to working a regular 8 hour day I will.

If taking your bird to work will be a regular thing, then they need a regular sized cage at work. Checkout used cage sites! Just my opinion, but many feel differently, I don't allow any of my birds until fully trained on the shoulder. That should include you! I know all is good now... I'm telling you this for a reason. Life will be good right now, but your baby WILL enter the terrible twos. 12 months until .......thats when most parents are so upset. Their baby becomes "INSANE!" If you prepare for the terrible two's and have taught your bird from the beginning... its much easier!I'll take six months of hell as opposed to three or four years of hell.

It wasn't easy vacumning with a bird on my wrist, or cleaning with her there. I suffered thru it. I wouldn't do anything different. Nancy

I would love to take Alfie to work with me. I work in a school in the ICT dept and so I'd only ever want to take him in during the holidays (as otherwise it would be too busy and too noisy). I don't think my work colleagues would like it though and I'm not sure if there are any rules against bringing pets in. I'm assuming there are in case of allergies etc. Someone else who used to work there used to bring her dog in all the time- but got asked not to when the headteacher changed over. So I'm not sure Alfie would be too welcome. Plus, I doubt I'd get too much work done!!

I would love to take Alfie to work with me. I work in a school in the ICT dept and so I'd only ever want to take him in during the holidays (as otherwise it would be too busy and too noisy). I don't think my work colleagues would like it though and I'm not sure if there are any rules against bringing pets in. I'm assuming there are in case of allergies etc. Someone else who used to work there used to bring her dog in all the time- but got asked not to when the headteacher changed over. So I'm not sure Alfie would be too welcome. Plus, I doubt I'd get too much work done!!

I talked to everyone involved first. No one seemed to have a problem with it. It's just a matter of working out logistics. Bigger cage, etc. I work with a great crew. If I worked with a different crew I might not even bother or say no way.

If taking your bird to work will be a regular thing, then they need a regular sized cage at work. Checkout used cage sites! Just my opinion, but many feel differently, I don't allow any of my birds until fully trained on the shoulder. That should include you! I know all is good now... I'm telling you this for a reason. Life will be good right now, but your baby WILL enter the terrible twos. 12 months until .......thats when most parents are so upset. Their baby becomes "INSANE!" If you prepare for the terrible two's and have taught your bird from the beginning... its much easier!I'll take six months of hell as opposed to three or four years of hell.

It wasn't easy vacumning with a bird on my wrist, or cleaning with her there. I suffered thru it. I wouldn't do anything different. Nancy

What you say makes sense. I have three of the most well behaved dogs. They are constantly watching me for the next clue as to what we are doing. I only have to utter a whisper and they are following my direction, except for Joe because he is getting old and deaf, he does know hand signals though. It drives me crazy to see dogs running wild and totally blowing off their owners and ignoring them. That being said, dogs are dogs and birds are birds, totally different animal. You can be a little more over bearing with dogs and sometimes you have to. I suspect that would not work out to well with birds. Don't get me wrong, I don't hit them or anything. Most of the time pieces of steak worked quite well. I'm trying to feel my way with training the birds and will probably make a few mistakes. Any offers of advice and or techniques that work well would be welcome.

If you have three behaved dogs, you can have a well behaved bird. You will make LOTS of mistakes! LOL! We all have done so, and continue. You are capable! Don't be afraid of your bird, and don't let baby make decisions. As a baby, satisfy the oral needs and socialize. Enjoy this stage. Develop the trust and create goals you want for your baby. I would suggest first goal... learning " stepup." Its very important. We taught off the door. Eventually, involve other family or friends to practice " stepup" away from cage, maybe a game! We no longer have to ask Sophie to stepup! She is UP and ready.... 24/7 Nancy

My advice would be to read some threads in the training room here and post any questions that come up for you. You're right, training dogs and birds are totally different. One is a pack animal and a predator looking for leadership from the alpha, the other is a flock animal and a prey animal, making decisions based on what feels safe and what is interesting to it at the moment.

I disagree. My dogs learned pretty quickly, Sophie was the leader of the pack. She is a bird. She has lead the pack for past decade. Max my senior Lhasa Apso, age 18, ruled the animals. Once Sophie came here, he decided " Sophie would do!" He trained new pups to " NEVER" attack birds." Sophie was to be respected! Listen to her! Once new puppies were respectful, Max decided his time was done.Its still very hard for me... I miss Max so much. Nancy