NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Aviary on its way!!!!

Luvparrots

My aviary is on its way. I am so excited. My son, John and his wife, Aubrey work on it when they are not working or dealing with three young boys so it is taking some time. It is gorgeous and when it is done I will post the final product. It is being built off of the bird-room window. I am so excited!!!

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

Edited by luvparrots

The bottom half will be plywood to make sure the large dogs in the neighborhood don't decide that my parrots are "easy" dinner. Can't decide whether to paint the aviary the same color as my house or to leave it natural. Key padlocks will be attached to the outer door.

For safety I suggest using 1/4" by 1/4" as an outside layer of protection. We recently had a Coopers Hawk strike one of the Macaws while she was inside her enclosure and under a roof with a 3' overhang. Emergency Vet visit and she will be fine lots of blood and a very shocky bird I was so afraid we would loose her. Wire the bottom as well so no dig outs or in. Racoons and other stray animals can grab through the size wire you are using so keep that in mind, safety first!

You are going above and beyond to create a happy place for your parrots and an extra special place for them to get all the feather and soul enriching daily soaking of sunshine rays. They must all be twittering about your home improvement project. Kudos.

I put the parrots on the boings out the window. They were so shocked they didn't move and Louie, the zon would not go out. The first time a window is open and they did not want to go out. Go figure. They were in disbelief. They all came back in on their own. I will have to get some shade going on out there. I had water out in a water dish but no one tried it. Like i said they were flabbergasted with all the sunlight and air!!!!! Will see how it goes next time.

When my California daughter comes up in a week or so, we are going to do the painting.

For safety I suggest using 1/4" by 1/4" as an outside layer of protection. We recently had a Coopers Hawk strike one of the Macaws while she was inside her enclosure and under a roof with a 3' overhang. Emergency Vet visit and she will be fine lots of blood and a very shocky bird I was so afraid we would loose her. Wire the bottom as well so no dig outs or in. Racoons and other stray animals can grab through the size wire you are using so keep that in mind, safety first!

Good ideas. I would personally go with screen, that way bugs can't come in the window when it's propped open. That is how we plan to screen in our front porch, dividing into two 'rooms' and one 'safety cage' in the center that protects not only the 'rooms' but the front door as well. I was going to do two layers of wire cloth and then realized without screens, any bugs that get in the 'rooms' would be right in the house if we prop the windows up for them to go in and out.